Strangest Things Eaten

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by qhsdoitall, May 21, 2007.

1. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Mean crawdads? :D

2. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

US Army...out on manuevers...Good times!!!! Shot it btw and it was better than the MRE's!!!!

Raf

3. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

Welcome back, Dimitry.
    .......dont be a stranger ! :D

4. ltlsuz

ltlsuz Member

okay, I've not had anything special! :ashamed001

Just venison, turtle and I did have mud bugs when I went to New Orleans - years ago, but I made my husband do all the nasty work, I won't touch them until the head and feet and anything else yucky looking was gone. I didn't suck the brains out - no way! He also had to do the big peel and eat shrimp.:p

5. dangert

dangert New Member

I won't :D. For some reason I didn't receive emails before and thought nobody wants to talk to me...

6. MaduroMan_wcp

MaduroMan_wcp New Member

racoon
    cat
    armadiller
    'coon
    in addition to all the other things listed..

the world is broken down into eaters and eatees....I will stay in the eater catagory, thank you...

7. Rufus

Rufus New Member

Crawdads/mudbugs, do you suck the heads?
    Last year I had kangaroo in Kilarney, Eire. It is very lean, dark in colour and tastes very good.

8. Woknblues

Woknblues New Member

I often find that the preparation is what makes food unusual.

Any animal killed and cooked seems to be edible. (fish and plant eating land animals get most people's seal of approval)

Northern Thailand has some interesting specialties.

I have eaten the jumping prawns as a gent above stated. Covered in chili and lime, almost anything would taste good washed down with a few bottles of chang!

The fried crickets were not half bad, deep fried with fish sauce. Again, the flavors of a deep fried anything in my mind tend to be similar. Sprinkle with fish sauce and you could be eating almost anything and would believe it if you didn't know before hand.

Raw minced pork with herbs and spices is another.

Here in the Philippines, there are all kinds of unusual things as well. Balut is the national "I dare ya" favorite. A fertilized egg (yes, you get the texture of beak/bones and feathers in there sometimes). First timers are advised to have it with the lights out. They also have "day old" chicks to be eaten whole. Here in Baguio, local (and vanishing) custom is to consume dog meat for the "warming effect".. In fact, all Philippine "unusual" foods I have run across seem to be "drinking foods" and are not "widely enjoyed". I haven't tried dog (I believe it is forbidden by law at the moment, thus, hard to come by) but the others were decent enough, if not unremarkable.

9. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    I've got an upcoming trip to Japan, I will certainly be seeking Fugu, ond Kobe beef. I'm told properly prepared Fugu leaves just enough toxin to make your tongue numb.

10. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    Had em in pasta once... was pretty good eatin.

11. Will

Will Nevermind

:drool :drool :drool
    You can cut that stuff with a chop stick.

12. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Ya, but look what they charge for it. You good buy a set of extra nice sharp steak knives for what you pay for a 12 oz. Kobe beef steak. :D

13. Will

Will Nevermind

And?...............:D

14. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

And a TI str8? :D

15. Will

Will Nevermind

Or a BK8 :rofl

16. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

There ya go! :rofl

17. Edcculus

Edcculus Resident Bay Rummy

The strangest thing I ever ate was what they served in my high school cafeteria...:rofl