Streamline repair help

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by dangermouse, Dec 7, 2016.

1. dangermouse

dangermouse Well-Known Member

Gents, are any of you able to post pictures of the older version of an Ever Ready Streamline razors, the one with larger holes in the base plate, please. I need to see the back/underside of the flip up mechanism, when it is closed and pictures of the small metal tab and it's position on the cap, when the razor is open; closed and if possible half way open.

I bought one the other day. The metal tab doesn't lift with the flip top, and just rattles around. Is this normal? I'm guessing not. I've removed the cap, which flaps up and down a bit in the closed position, enough so the blade would come out. I'm not making things any better despite trying.

I'really appreciate a few photos. Thank you very much.

Karl G and twhite like this.
  2. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

I will take some pictures tonight.

Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

The little tab should stick up through the rectangle hole in the cap, like a 1912. If it doesn't, you need to remove the cap and re-install it with the tab in the hole.

178-bplatoon and Karl G like this.
  4. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

5. dangermouse

Thank you very much, Tom. I looked at the last pictures you posted but they didn't quite show that bit.

6. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Good luck with that. I will check back to see how you do.

Karl G, dangermouse and twhite like this.
  7. dangermouse

Thanks for the link, Toby. When the lid is closed, the tab barely sits through the hole, in it's correct position but like it just needs to be 2mm longer. As I flip open the lid the hole lifts clear of the tab and opens without the tab moving. The tab does move on it's hinge (you know what I mean), it's not stuck, or anything. It just misses the lifting lid.

I first thought to tap the bottom of the tab, underneath. Just to move its position slightly forward. It didn't work. It just made the mechanism too tight. The cap has bee taken off now. That seems to be as far as I can go. It might be a tap here, a tap there and fingers crossed :)

Karl G likes this.
  8. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

9. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

Interesting, wish I had the magic answer my friend, but I'm stumped!

Karl G likes this.
  10. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

Look HERE, post #90.

178-bplatoon and Karl G like this.
  11. dangermouse

Thanks, Toby. I really appreciate that you took the time to find that link. On those pictures you can clearly see the metal tab sitting slightly above the closed cap. Mine barely catches on the inside of the closed cap. It's bugging me! I'll let you know how I go. Cheers.

The person who sold it stated: it's practically unused. Now I know why! :(

12. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

When they work, how do they compare with other SEs?

twhite likes this.
  13. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Why don't you post a picture of yours in the same angle as the picture in the links. Then post your pic and the other pic for reference . Personally I have no idea what you are referring to and it may clear it up.

twhite and Karl G like this.
  14. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Here are some photo's. If you need more let me know.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Karl G likes this.
  15. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

I find them smoother than the 12s,14's&24s about as aggressive as a 1912.

A very nice shave.

Tom

gorgo2 and Karl G like this.
  16. dangermouse

Thanks Tom :) I'll be scratching my head (working on mine) later.

Karl G likes this.
  17. dangermouse

It's in bits. I thought it would be an easy fix so I didn't think to take a photo before I started. If I don't fix it, I'll put it back together and post a video!

18. dangermouse

Tom, the small metal piece, on mine, has a bend in it. Can you please verify that it's bending in the same direction as yours and mine hasn't been put in upside down? I thought if it was bending forward, it might just account for it sitting a little low when the cap is closed. Thanks mate.
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

Karl G likes this.
  19. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Danger

Looking at your pictures. I believe your problem lies with the base, not your spring.

It looks to me that the support tab that the bottom of your spring rests on. It appears to be bent down some. You might want to check that. It should be even with the opposing sides.

Good luck
    Tom

Karl G likes this.
  20. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

@dangermouse

Any update on your Streamline?

Tom

Karl G likes this.