Stubby Haul

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by twhite, Apr 3, 2017.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I'm curious about the bevel, with the spine wear. Mark the bevel area first, hit the 1k lightly, then see how much tape you will need. Hopefully not too much.

Kizurra, Spyder, Karl G and 1 other person like this.
  2. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

I blunted the edge last night to remove the chip. I then used 3 layers of tape. That will work for setting the initial bevel. Then I will use 4 layers to finish it.

I will do that after I clean the blade up and make new scales. It might be a few weeks before I get to that. I need to get some money first. I will try and get some horn that is honey and black. That will closely match what was on it.

Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Kizurra, Spyder, Pilotcld and 4 others like this.
  3. RezDog

RezDog Well-Known Member

The Royal Warrant mark on the Clark is GR and GR ended in 1830.

Kizurra, Billyfergie, Spyder and 3 others like this.
  4. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

That is what I thought. I also found a bit that Clark&Osborn were together from 1822-1835. So I figure 1822-1830.

5. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

after some 320 wet dry. any ideas on the scale material?
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Kizurra, Billyfergie, Spyder and 2 others like this.
  6. RezDog

RezDog Well-Known Member

Most likely guess is dyed horn. Give them a wet sand with 1K. That should get them nice and clean. Once you are passed that you can fill any bug bites and stabilize Once and then soak them in neatsfoot oil. Once then have a nice drink you can buff them up with 0000 steel wool and they will maintain their aged appearance. You can wet sand them to 2K and buff them with mothers but they will not look like old scales anymore. Once you are happy with how much you have sanded and polished the blade you can blue it to get it to look like patina as well.

7. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Unfortunately the other scale is toast. I will get some horn.

I love the blueing suggestion.
    Thank You

8. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

It cleaned up nice....however, I'd take a good look at those rust spots on or near the edge under a loupe to see if there's pitting present on the edge.

Kizurra, Billyfergie and Karl G like this.
  9. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Will do. When I bread knifed it last night to even up the edge and remove the small chip. I looked in the loop and it looked like it will take a clean edge.

10. DaltonGang

Are you sure it doesn't say "Sheffield Steel"??

11. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Hell I have no clue at this point. It really does not matter, other than I would like to learn more about it.

I just hope I can get it shave worthy. Then I will have 6 more clunkers to do.

Tom

12. DaltonGang

Sounds like my project razors, Times at least 4.

13. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Give me a few weeks. I will see what I can get. Seriously though it is pretty fun doing this. I also like trying to find out about the makers.

14. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Them old wedges do provide a very unique shave experience. Much different from the hollow grounds that we're generally used to.
    I'll be waiting for your shave report:)

15. DaltonGang

I wasn't thrilled with the old wedge shaves, at first. It just felt too different. Now I'm enjoying the older wedges more than the hollow grind razors.

Kizurra, Billyfergie, Karl G and 2 others like this.
  16. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Once I have the blade cleaned up more. I have decided to do a vinegar bath on it. That will neutralize any rust in the pits, and give it patina.

17. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Same here. Totally different from the hollow ground blades I'm used too. At this point, I still prefer the hollow grinds. I'll have to drag out the wedge tonight, to see if I can begin to change my mind:)

18. DaltonGang

:happy088:

Kizurra, Billyfergie and Spyder like this.
  19. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I may have spoken a little too soon. Last night's shave with my stubby was totally different. I adjusted with a very shallow angle on the first pass, which made a huge difference. I've only used this razor about four times. so I'm not all that familiar with it. I did use a very shallow angle on the atg pass on my last shave, which means that the blade was pretty much flat against the skin. So only 5-10 degrees on the wtg pass really improved the shave. A totally different animal than what I'm used too, but in a good way :)

Tom, you may want to try for a very shallow angle when you take it for a test run. I don't know if using a shallow angle is common, or basically a ymmv type of thing.....

Karl G, Kizurra, Billyfergie and 2 others like this.
  20. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

I found the same thing when I took my wedge out last week - a shallower angle than usual really brought out the best in it. :happy088: