Suggestions for lathering bowls?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Straight razor dandy, Aug 15, 2016.

1. ram57

ram57 Don't Open til Christmas

My favorite are the symmetrical pottery bowls such as this one (own 3) but price has gone up and they are big at 6". I also like Turkish porcelain bowls as they fit in the palm of my hand and raised textures which I feel help build up a quicker lather as they seem to hold water within the patterns. I fill the bowls with warm water while I shower. The Turkish bowls I have are 4.5 to 4 3/4 inches across and cost between $12-19 on Amazon and the bay.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. RyX

RyX DoH!

I get lost in Etsy in a good way. So many talented artist offering unique products. Be sure to visit DorothyBroome's shop.

Straight razor dandy likes this.
  3. IDuck

IDuck Well-Known Member

found mine at a thrift store and it is AMAZING, paid maybe $4 for it and it has served me very well...I have tried a few different size's/shapes and have learned what I prefer....I personally like a larger opening (6" or so) but not to deep/big..I also need/prefer it to have a handle as well as a spout to rest my brush in...point being YMMV with a perfect lather bowl.

would also reccommend talking to a local pottery store to make a custom bowl.

4. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

Pics or it didn't happen.

RyX likes this.
  5. IDuck

IDuck Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    There you go. My custom scuttle too, made by a local potter/friend who just so happens to be the sister of a member here.
    [​IMG]

sent via.... The FORCE

6. Kizurra

Kizurra Well-Known Member

Dirtybird pottery will make you one however you like, Georgetown pottery might as well. People Here have mentioned several others but I don't remember the thread. These are the one's I know of of hand that are good and reasonably priced.

Straight razor dandy likes this.
  7. Kizurra

And who is this Potter who is a sister of a member here? Looks like a nice scuttle.

8. Kizurra

Moss, pottersong, buti, bone ash and yoresh were some others mentioned.

RyX likes this.
  9. Straight razor dandy

Screenshot_2016-08-16-11-21-33.png
    This is what i went with. It is hand-made with volcanic lava.

10. Papa Roy

Papa Roy Active Member

Sara Moneyham Pottery!

11. RyX

RyX DoH!

Grr, tried to toss in a quote of your post @Straight razor dandy . The Hack of 2016 may still be going on.
    Anyhow, Lava? Like in the real thing? I live in mud country. If there's any rocks, someone hauled em in. That piece has vibrant colors, seems glassy. I'd have thought it would look more Spanish mortar n pestle-ish. Is Lava the style or material?

12. Straight razor dandy

The outside "accents" are lava. It is actual volcanic lava. The rest is ceramic. It looks like more an an art piece than lathering bowl, but that's what im going for.

They do make bowls entirely out of lava...some of which are incredible, but i went with the one above instead.

RyX likes this.
  13. Spiez

Spiez Active Member

+1

Spiez

ram57 likes this.
  14. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

I picked up this nice solid hard plastic (art deco) at a local thrift store for about a buck. I roughed up the bottom with a sheet rock blade to aid agitation.

[​IMG]

danbuter and Terry Williams like this.
  15. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

=1 For the TuRkIsH bowl which comes in tinned and non tinned copper.

B-1.jpeg

danbuter and Terry Williams like this.
  16. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I use a ceramic Japanese bowl for some pucks. Hand-made by local Japanese artisan. Easy to hand-hold (with handles), and the surface is textured enough to make lather generation easy.

[​IMG] bowl.jpg

17. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I recently picked up a Captain's Choice bowl. I like the way the interior ridges really whip up the lather.

HERM
    [​IMG]

18. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

A stainless steel pet food bowl works great. Its sometimes weighted, is has nonskid coating on the bottom. They're very inexpensive. The depth is about right to use any brush, it's not breakable, travels well.
    And when your done shaving, fill it with water, set it down, and wa-la, fee-fee doesnt have to drink toilet water. 2016-10-10-13-56-14--1333962013.jpg

19. Straight razor dandy

I have been on the lookout everytime I go to a thrift store or garage sale. I pick one up every once in a while. These are actually a few more I have acquired:

Screenshot_2016-10-13-17-45-48.png Screenshot_2016-10-13-17-45-22.png

I also have the icelandic lava bowl still, which is great...and a brand new, still-in-box edwin jagger apothecary mug...which I probably need to trade or sell.

Linuxguile and RyX like this.
  20. Straight razor dandy

I enjoy having a few options (though I will sell/trade several of these off), but I may ultimately go to etsy or commission something to be made.