Suggestions for lathering bowls?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Straight razor dandy, Aug 15, 2016.

1. Rockclimber

Rockclimber Well-Known Member

Wow Brother, you really fell off the wagon hu? Went from wanting one shaving bowl to having an entire dinner set worth :eatdrink047:

Straight razor dandy likes this.
  2. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I found most of these in the wild at thrift stores. In fact, most of my lather bowls are "repurposed" items.

RyX and champagneinhand like this.
  3. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

Very nice.

Sent from my LG-V480 using Tapatalk

4. champagneinhand

champagneinhand Well-Known Member

I have some old depression glass tea cups and dessert bowls. I am considering repurposing them as my mom collected depression glass and I have an entire corner hutch filled with such things I will never use.

We have only used our fine China my parents bought for us as children when my father was stationed on Enewetak during the Korean War. The colonel he worked for and a few others often visited either Japan or Hong Kong and my dad came back with a few really nice sets. I'm just not that into formal dinners so the set sits unused but not unloved. Figure the depression glass might prove a bit more useful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

Although new to wet shaving - I did purchase a bowl from Captain's Choice. It is ceramic, 4.5 inches across with circular ridges on the bottom. Comes in several colors. They have just come out with a new one that is a bit larger. I just can't imagine being able to whip up an excellent lather any quicker.

6. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

I have the same bowl - in cobalt blue though. It works great and looks great.

7. champagneinhand

champagneinhand Well-Known Member

Where did you guys find them. They look functional and nice.

8. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

Maggardrazors.com

You can also find some on ebay and etsy

9. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

10. Otto

Otto Member

Etsy has some great artisans that make them. I bought mine on Etsy, unfortunately the artisan is no longer on etsy. I do like the Captain's choice design with the side unglazed "button" that gives you a nice grip.

11. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

As swarden43 showed: www.captainschoicestore.com They are very quick with shipping. Really like their soaps as well.

12. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

My Captains bowl is the same color as Herm's, that Rawhide or whatever it is called. I love it and it goes well with all of the wood in my den, but I really, really like that cobalt blue. I would even buy one, but I have no place to put it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

13. InspiringK

InspiringK Well-Known Member

Assuming you meant the Moss line from Sara Bonnyman Pottery, I'm with ya!

14. Bill G

Bill G Well-Known Member

These pic's are of my two favorites from symmetrical pottery purchased on Esty.com. Expensive little lather bowls but I love these things and there not boring by any means and work well. One cost $38.00 & the other $45.00 plus shipping. All part of the hobby I say.. Lol. I also love my ATT S1 & my ATT S2 slant and my Merkur 39C & 37C slant razors. Oh Ya, all the synthetic brushes and different soaps I have spent money on. It become addictive but it is well enjoyed as well.

Lots of nice choices out there with a wide range of prices for lather bowls. All of them will pretty much lather up the soap for a good shave, some are just more fun than others. I rotate my lather bowls as I have about five or six of them, did I say addicting..Lol.

Happy Shaves,
    Bill G

il_570xN_1007128281_kj6y.jpg il_570xN_960585694_ggxa.jpg il_570xN_1087303993_ly0f.jpg il_570xN_1087304001_r2uy.jpg

champagneinhand likes this.