Summertime...Barbeques, Grills & Smokers!

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by HolyRollah, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

Got up at 5 a.m. - smoked an 8 pound pork butt for pulled pork. Applied the rub last night (1st photo), wrapped it in plastic wrap and put it in the refrigerator. Injected it this morning with secret sauce and put it in the smoker (2nd photo). After it reached an internal temp. of 190 deg F, pulled the bone out and "pulled" the pork (3rd photo). Hard to beat pulled pork with a North Carolina vinegar based sauce. I will be eating this for a couple days and then freeze the rest for a quick sandwich later on when the mood strikes me.:)

p.s. For those of you who smoke - I used a 50/50 mix of apple and hickory wood for the first 4 hours - no smoke after that - just heat. Temperature was 230 deg F.
    Butt Rubbed.jpg

Butt Smoking.jpg

Butt Pulled.jpg

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
    Redrock, Jorvaljr, BamaT and 5 others like this.
  2. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Damn, Col. that looks fantastic!

Col C likes this.
  3. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Looks good. My wife and I just grabbed some of my pulled pork out of the freezer tonight for dinner. I'm getting low on my stash. Time to think about smoking another one

RetLEO-07 likes this.
  4. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

That's the nice thing about pulled pork - it freezes well and makes for an easy meal later on. I put it in smaller containers holding enough for a couple sandwiches.

BamaT, RetLEO-07 and mrchick like this.
  5. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

IMG_1097.JPG Hamburgers in the grill!

6. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I just dug the grill out after a foot of snow this week. With corned beef being on sale for St. Pats, I wanted to try something new... Making pastrami. I soaked the one on the left and changed the water overnight. The one on the right was just thoroughly rinsed. Now, I know it isn't real pastrami as I am starting with pre-brined meat instead of dry brining myself, but for $1.79 a pound I am alright with it. My rub consists of black pepper, coriander, turbinado sugar, granulated garlic, and a little ghost powder from my garden. As the hot chili was in there, I did not apply the rub as thickly as I otherwise might have. The kamado has been stable at 245F and I used a mix of pecan and apple wood. This is my first try, so if anyone has some input I am glad to hear it.

Just starting out..
    pastrami1.jpg

After about 90 minutes...
    pastrami2.jpg

Roughly 150F..
    pastrami3.jpg

Time to wrap...
    pastrami4.jpg

I just wrapped it at 160F. It will take a few more hours to finish up then it is into the cooler for a couple hours.

There will be some good sandwiches tomorrow and I will post an update.

BamaT, Redrock, Jorvaljr and 4 others like this.
  7. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

And you live where?:eatdrink020:

Good looking cook job.

PanChango likes this.
  8. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Thanks.. Only a few hours north of you...

They are now off the smoker and resting in a cooler wrapped in towels. A few more hours and I can take a look and see what I made.

BamaT, Hodge and Redrock like this.
  9. Redrock

Ok. Please report results.

10. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I will trim the fat cap slightly closer next time, but I am very pleased with my first attempt. Steamed the meat in the top of my rice cooker for about a minute, before hitting some fresh rye bread with some nice swiss and spicy mustard. It cooked for about 7.5 hours and then spent a couple hours wrapped in a cooler before being refrigerated over night.

Sliced...
    pastrami5.jpg

The finished product...
    pastrami6.jpg

Thanks for looking.

BamaT, Taipan, Jorvaljr and 6 others like this.
  11. RetLEO-07

No, thanks for posting. Now I want a sammich.

BamaT and PanChango like this.
  12. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Dang, that looks good.

BamaT and PanChango like this.
  13. Redrock

14. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

Love corned beef. I did mine this weekend the old fashion way. Boiled with all the veggies thrown in at the end. It was great. PanChango has inspired me - I'll have to try making pastrami. Growing up on the east coast most everywhere you could get a good pastrami sandwich. Out here on the left coast they are clueless.

BamaT, RetLEO-07 and PanChango like this.
  15. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Nice. Enjoy. When you do make it, please post some pics and your thouhts.

16. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

Will do.

17. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I have a bunch of stuff in the freezer that I need to start using. Tonight was a simple pork loin roast with yukon gold potatoes and asparagus fancied up with some salt and pepper. I cooked it raised direct about 350F until 135F internal temp. I am really looking forward to some Italian roast pork sandwiches with sharp provolone and broccoli rabe tomorrow night.

porkroast.jpg

BamaT and Jorvaljr like this.
  18. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Tonight was a whole wheat pizza with shaved ham, mushrooms, fresh garlic and ricotta. Cooked at 450F for about 14 minutes on the kamado.

pizza.jpg

BamaT, Redrock, Col C and 1 other person like this.
  19. RetLEO-07

Mmmmm pizza :eatdrink020:

Redrock and PanChango like this.
  20. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

I use an electric Masterbuilt Smoker as well. Love this thing. It works every time and uses chips, which I prefer over pellets. I bought the cold smoking attachment as well. I have done a variety of cheese that way - really good. You can take about 15 dollars worth of cheese and turn it into about 50 dollars worth with a 2 hour cold smoke.

BamaT likes this.