Summertime...Barbeques, Grills & Smokers!

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by HolyRollah, Jun 11, 2013.

1. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I have the cold smoker on my wish list. Sounds like I need to get one. Thanks.

Redrock and Col C like this.
  2. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Now that looks great!

PanChango likes this.
  3. Taipan

Taipan Well-Known Member

My daughter got me a hot-smoke kit and cold-smoke kit for my birthday. I haven't tried the hot smoke yet but the cold smoker works a treat in my Webber Smoky Mountain. Made around 6lb of smoked salmon and several pieces of cheese. Vintage Cheddar and a softish goat cheese are the favourites -so far!

BamaT, PanChango and Redrock like this.
  4. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

Pictures? Please.

5. Taipan

Taipan Well-Known Member

I'll get some shots of the setup tomorrow.

6. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Tonight was a whole wheat bar pie, with peach smoked chicken, roasted garlic, spinach, and ricotta done on the kamado. I was installing a new gasket today, so i did the chicken and garlic on my mini grill while I was out there working. Cooked at 475F for about 14 minutes. Turned out well. Thanks for looking.

pizza2.jpg

pizza3.jpg

pizza1.jpg

BamaT, Redrock, Taipan and 2 others like this.
  7. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Tonight was a quick and simple cook after a long week of work. A couple chicken breasts with my all purpose rub and grilled cabbage with salt and pepper.

ChickenCabbage.jpg

PLAla, Redrock, Taipan and 1 other person like this.
  8. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I was in the mood for a pepperoni pizza this evening. Upped the temp to 550F and it seemed to have a positive impact.

Thanks for looking.

Pepperoni.jpg

Redrock, mrchick, PLAla and 2 others like this.
  9. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I have really been enjoying the grill recently. Tonight was a tasty little 3lb chicken seasoned with salt, pepper, and garlic. Served with roasted potatoes and a side salad.

spatchcock.jpg

Redrock, mrchick, PLAla and 1 other person like this.
  10. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

Quick question, I usually use Kingsford Charcoal, but I am looking at the Royal Oak lump charcoal (blue bag) simply because of cost. It is significantly cheaper than the Kingsford.

I have read that lump charcoal burns hotter and longer than briquettes. Is there any input at all? I will be trying it, I just want to know a bit more of what is be getting in to...

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

PanChango likes this.
  11. lradke

What type of stone are you using? I understand that some can't handle the grill and will crack.

PanChango likes this.
  12. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

In the Kamado, I have been using Royal Oak. We have a red bag in the US so I am not sure if/how it differs from the blue bag. Yes lump does burn hotter. I am not sure if burns longer than the briquettes, but would think that it does as some of the pieces are larger. There is less ash using it and I just continually re-use the lump until the pieces get small enough that it impedes airflow.

I have cracked a couple pizza stones in the past. Currently for the last year plus, I am using this one (Harstone Pottery 15")that I picked up locally. I have it sitting on my deflector stones (essentially a kiln shelf) and use 4 copper 1/2" T fittings that I got from the Home Depot for $.93 a piece to give it some space and help keep it from cracking from radiant heat. Most of the time I was cooking at 450F, but raising the temp the last time had a positive impact and I will try it again.

Here is a pic of the set up, unfortunately you cant see the copper pieces.

stones.jpg

Last edited: May 1, 2017
    mrchick and lradke like this.
  13. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

PanChango likes this.
  14. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Thanks.

PLAla likes this.
  15. lradke

I guess the red and blue bags are just different packaging. Canada gets blue because we're colder, or something like that. ;)

How do you start it up? Do you use a chimney like with briquettes?

PanChango likes this.
  16. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Normally I just use a cotton ball soaked in 91% alcohol. If I am in a rush, I use my camping torch and have it lit in 30 seconds and up to temp in about 5 minutes.

lradke likes this.
  17. lradke

Thanks!

PanChango likes this.
  18. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Just a simple cook of drumsticks and roast potatoes tonight. Season the chicken with some buffalo wing rub and s&p on the potatoes.

Turned out well. Thanks for looking.

drumsticks.jpg

PLAla, BamaT, Redrock and 2 others like this.
  19. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

These are, what is called in the area I live in, Country Pork Ribs. After smoking, they were chopped up and added to a pot of Hatch New Mexico Green Chili Stew. The Hatch chili peppers have a taste all of their own. Yummy.

Ribs.jpg

mrchick, PLAla, BamaT and 1 other person like this.
  20. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Those country style ribs look good and I still have some roasted hatch chilies frozen. I could go for some of that.

Decided to make another pepperoni pizza tonight. Closer to my desired results, but not quite there.

anotherpepperoni.jpg

Hairy Alaskan, PLAla and BamaT like this.