Summertime...Barbeques, Grills & Smokers!

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by HolyRollah, Jun 11, 2013.

1. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Always a delight to see what you have cooked up! You have some serious culinary talent!

Bama Samurai and PanChango like this.
  2. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Did you cook the country style ribs direct the entire time?

Redrock likes this.
  3. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Thank you.

Bama Samurai and Redrock like this.
  4. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

For you guys that smoke pork butts.....what is your target temp before removing from the smoker to sit and rest? I usually shoot for 175F but wonder if that is a little low. It's painfully slow there at the end to reach 175 or higher. The meat turns out really great at that temp but just am curious if you all have a different take on that.

Redrock likes this.
  5. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

I shoot for 165, slowly as I can. Right now, I'm smoking on a Weber Kettle, which isn't ideal, but capable. I smoked half a pork loin recently, and cooked faster than I wanted using a modified snake method. It was still very good, but would have been better reaching that temp a little slower. Next time will be no modification. I forgot to post a pic.

Edit: the USDA recommendation for pork roasts is 145, I believe. But I like to take butts a little higher.

Last edited: May 8, 2017
    Redrock, PanChango and PLAla like this.
  6. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

I like to cook butts at a temp between 225° and 250° Until they reach 190° I might wrap in foil after the first 4 hours, just so they won't get too dark or take on too much smoke, but the longer you let them go up to around 190° the more tender they are. There is usually a period of time where the meat seems to sit at the same temp for ever. This is called the stall, and is caused by the collagen absorbing the heat in order to break down and become tender. Let it ride and you'll be rewarded with a very tender but moist roast. If you can grab the blade bone and slide it out clean then it's usually good to go.

Redrock, PLAla and PanChango like this.
  7. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

No. Off set/indirect.

BamaT likes this.
  8. Redrock

I go for 170 degrees. The "experts" say 190 degrees for off-the-bone tender pulled pork. However, I prefer to have a little "tug" to the meat. 170 degrees and a slow smoke gives me tender and smokey flavored pork.

BamaT, PLAla and PanChango like this.
  9. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

There are many different journeys to the same outcome. Good food and a happy family.

I normally go by feel for low and slows. When it appears tender to my liking, I will pull it.

BamaT and Redrock like this.
  10. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

When doing a roast or thick pork chops, I normally pull at 130-135 and let it sit for a while to come to temp and texture I enjoy.

BamaT and Redrock like this.
  11. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Just realized I had a couple of typos. First, I'm currently smoking using a Weber kettle, not smiling with a kettle! Also I meant to say I like to cook butts closer to 195, slowly, not 165. My sincere apologies to anyone this may have mislead.

Other cuts of pork I do cook to lower temps.

Redrock and PLAla like this.
  12. GrantA

GrantA Active Member

My people! I have found where I belong!
    @PLAla I let mine go to at least 190 but if I'm not pressed for time I prefer 200-205.The bone falls out clean. You guys pulling them earlier should try it sometime. The magic happens between about 175-200. I'm about to load some pics here, then I've got to go back and finish browsing this thread!
    Here's a butt just before I pulled it, the bone is trying to work its way out!
    [​IMG]

Jorvaljr, BamaT, mrchick and 2 others like this.
  13. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Nice Butt. It is also nice to see another ceramic cooker here.

Redrock and GrantA like this.
  14. GrantA

GrantA Active Member

I've cooked all sorts of stuff on my Green Egg, here are some pics, I'm getting hungry now :)
    Ribs going on then after 4 hours
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jorvaljr, Redrock, BamaT and 3 others like this.
  15. GrantA

GrantA Active Member

Brisket on the egg then on the plate yum!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Wings!
    [​IMG]

Thighs, legs & asparagus!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 9, 2017
    Jorvaljr, Redrock, PanChango and 3 others like this.
  16. GrantA

GrantA Active Member

Turkey anyone?
    [​IMG]

Pizza? This one has leftover pulled pork on it :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Crab legs?
    [​IMG]

I do love my egg, it gets used probably 5 days a week on average

Jorvaljr, Redrock, PanChango and 3 others like this.
  17. Redrock

Grilled chicken legs marinated with Teriyaki, Worcestershire, and Honey. Good eats.:happy093::happy093:

Legs.jpg

Taipan, Jorvaljr, BamaT and 2 others like this.
  18. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

@Redrock - Those look tasty. Nice work.

Redrock likes this.
  19. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Yesterday I smoked a 8-9lb pork butt. Rubbed on some of our proprietary rub and smoked with oak, hickory, and fruit woods. Here is the initial product:

IMG_1539.JPG

After some discussions on this thread I decided to leave the butt on for longer than I normally do. I have usually taken it off at 175F but decided to get closer to 190 this time. I pulled it off after about 9 hours and 15 minutes of cooking time. The temperature reached 187F in the meat. Here it is right before coming off:

IMG_1545.JPG

The higher temperature made it SO much easier to pull. It was incredibly delicious! Tender, juicy, and terrific. Everyone loved it. My past iterations have been good but the extra cooking time past 175 toward 190 made all the difference. Thanks for the tips on here. I'll use that method from here on out.

Happy smoking!

BamaT, Jorvaljr, Redrock and 3 others like this.
  20. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

IMG_0491.JPG
    London broil. Had 3 fingers of Plantation Barbados Rhum while cooking. Plantation, the Rum that makes better cooks of us all.