Summertime...Barbeques, Grills & Smokers!

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by HolyRollah, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

I don't have one, but it doesn't look like it on a Smokey Joe. The Virtual Weber Bullet bullet has a post from a guy that did a beer can game hen on one.

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?34159-Beer-Can-Game-Hen-on-the-Smokey-Joe

Here's a post where a guy shows how he used a Jumbo Joe for beer can chicken
    http://www.bbqdryrubs.com/weber-jumbo-joe-beer-can-chicken/

swarden43 and PanChango like this.
  2. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I used a smokey joe for camping for a number of years and while a great grill, not even close for a beer can chicken.

A little google-fu reveals that the jumbo joe is large enough.
    http://www.bbqdryrubs.com/weber-jumbo-joe-beer-can-chicken/

The Jumbo Joe was going to be my next purchase when I saw that Walmart and Amazon just had blow out pricing on the Akorn Jr Kamado. I just picked one up for $50.

It is a bit heavier at 40lbs, but not out of limits for car camping or travel.

Erik Redd and swarden43 like this.
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Just what I was looking for! Thanks guys!

Erik Redd and PanChango like this.
  4. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

A nice piece of fresh Coho Salmon. Alderwood smoked with a light coat of Olive Oil, Himalayan Salt, freshly ground Black Pepper. The farm raised salmon doesn't come close to this in flavor and texture. Creamy tender with a wonderful flavor. Good stuff!!!!:happy093:

Coho.jpg

BigMark83, mrchick, PLAla and 4 others like this.
  5. Tiredricefarmer

Tiredricefarmer Well-Known Member

Have you looked at a PK Grill? They are used in steak competitions. Had one given to me the other day. The bottom pan was rotted out due to charcoal being left in it. Haven't been able to get a replacement pan yet because they've been running 3 wks behind on orders. The best chicken I've ever eaten was cooked on one of these. They are made out of cast aluminum and if taken care of, your grand children will be passing it down to their children. You can't hardly wear them out. I need to call them today, I'm excited to get mine going!

P.S.
    PK stands for Portable Kitchen and they are U.S. made in Little Rock, AR.

6. swarden43

Nice, but about $300 more that the Jumbo Joe. A tad more than I'm looking to spend right now.

7. Tiredricefarmer

I understand, I was saving up for one until I had one given to me. The way I look at it, over the course of a lifetime it's pretty cheap compared to replacing gas or other charcoal grills that tend to burn themselves out every few years.

8. swarden43

I had a Happy Cooker kettle grill last me 27 summers! I was going to send them a letter letting them know how long it was lasting (that was the 25th summer, if memory serves), only to find out they had gone out of business back in the late 90s. Guess the made too good a product.

My Weber 26 is in its 4th summer and still looking great. If it does as well as the Happy Cooker, I may only have to buy one more grill in my lifetime!

9. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

My father paid $5 for a standard Weber kettle at a yard sale that had over a decade of use when he got it. It finally rusted through just a few years ago. That thing was a trooper.

mrchick and Tiredricefarmer like this.
  10. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I picked up some nice Italian sweet sausage from my local butcher. Yesterday, I gave it about 90 mins of smoke at just under 200F. Today, I chopped up a couple onions, bell pepper, a hatch chile, garlic, and dropped it all in the dutch oven with half a bottle of beer. Braised for just over an hour and served on toasted Amorosos Rolls with spicy mustard.

sausage.jpg

11. Tiredricefarmer

Looks tasty!!!! :drool:

PanChango likes this.
  12. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Hungry so I started early on the grill. 0904170951-2656x1494.jpg Johnsonville brats and a Dollar Tree Franken-Steak there.

Redrock, Erik Redd, PanChango and 2 others like this.
  13. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Looks delicious!!

PanChango likes this.
  14. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

That looks really good. I love to smoke fresh sausages.

PanChango likes this.
  15. Erik Redd

Any idea what kind of meat the steak is?

16. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

To quote Rodney Dangerfield, it still has the marks where the jockey was hitting it.

gorgo2, Erik Redd and swarden43 like this.
  17. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Steak? You're way off. Think smaller, with more legs.

I threw out the wrapper but I believe it's a just above dog food grade of sirloin.

Erik Redd likes this.
  18. Erik Redd

upload_2017-9-5_20-7-27.png

gorgo2 and PanChango like this.
  19. Tiredricefarmer

Finally got the parts in for my PK Grill today! New bottom pan and racks. Also added a charcoal pan too. Gonna season her out later this afternoon and may even try a steak on it too! Been wanting one of these for a few years and now I got one! She's not all new but it's a genuine PK!
    IMG_0088.JPG IMG_0087.JPG

Erik Redd, swarden43 and PanChango like this.
  20. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I took a nice sized limb off a black cherry tree growing wild in the tree row. This one liked to hit me in the face on the tractor, so while I had the motivation... I spent a few hours preparing it. I have roughly 80lbs ready to cure. With what I already have, I should be good for a while.

cherry1.jpg
    cherry2.jpg

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017