Summertime...Barbeques, Grills & Smokers!

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by HolyRollah, Jun 11, 2013.

1. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Gave beef short ribs a try today and they were fantastic.

beefribs5.jpg

2. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

That looks damn good!

Redrock, Douglas Carey and PanChango like this.
  3. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Thanks. They turned out very well (better than I expected :))

BamaT and Douglas Carey like this.
  4. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

I suppose it is summer year round in Bethlehem.

Those look delish.

PanChango and Douglas Carey like this.
  5. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Thanks.

Hah.... the white in the pic is snow on the ground.

Part of the reason I use a ceramic grill / smoker is so I can cook year round.

Douglas Carey and Kilgore Trout like this.
  6. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Looks great! What kind of rub or sauce did you use on those, if any?

Douglas Carey likes this.
  7. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

It was a super simple rub of salt, pepper, garlic, and a little bit of smoked paprika. No sauce on them.

Here are some pics of the cook... https://imgur.com/gallery/On8P5

beefribs1.jpg

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
    Jorvaljr, Redrock, BamaT and 2 others like this.
  8. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

I haven’t sauced meat while cooking in a long time. I stick to rubs, and typically simple ones. I did get a killer rub recipe from Amazing Ribs called Memphis Dust. It’s a little more complex, but it’s outstanding!

PanChango likes this.
  9. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

Some salmon on the Weber Smokey Joe. I used Fruita Wood & BBQ Supply Alder Wood. It came out great. A nice, subtle Alder flavor. I like the quality and service of Fruita.

Salmon.jpg

10. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

I was going to probably place an order with Fruita Wood, but as I’ve looked around the wooded area of my property, I have an abundance of wood available to me, just requiring a little cutting/trimming and seasoning. I have maple, beech, persimmon, and a neighbor has an ornamental pear tree in dire need of pruning, so I will soon have a good supply of wood for smoking, some I’ve never considered for smoking. According to things I’ve read, all these woods work really well.

In addition to the above, I also have two or three varieties of oak, and a neighbor has a hickory tree hanging over my property. I have used hickory nuts for smoking for years, producing a more mellow smoke flavor than hickory wood or oak.

Jorvaljr, Redrock and PanChango like this.
  11. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Nice. That is what I did as well last summer. I have more Cherry, Beech, and Maple than I will use any time soon. I do like fruitawood too and have ordered from them a couple times. I wanted to give Peach a try and didn't have it available locally. Here was my work station and some of the Cherry I put up last summer.

cherry1.jpg

cherry2.jpg

Redrock and BamaT like this.
  12. Redrock

My inventory is Oak, Hickory, Apple, Cherry, Pecan (good with chicken), Alder, and Mesquite. Sometimes I do straight Oak when smoking a pork butt. It really does give the meat a different flavor than Hickory or Mesquite. At times, I use a mix of Oak/Hickory. Fun to play around with the different woods. :eatdrink020:

Ksblazer, BamaT and PanChango like this.
  13. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

I’ve tried a couple of oak chunks when cooking turkey, and while good, it was a mite strong on the bird. I’m thinking in the future I’ll use maple or maybe pear or persimmon with turkey and save oak and hickory for pork.

Redrock likes this.
  14. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

@PanChango it looks like you’re all set with all that wood! But as much as you cook, maybe not! :)

Redrock and PanChango like this.
  15. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Baked a ham and mushroom quiche on the kamado tonight. 40 minutes at 400F.
    q3.jpg

16. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Oh man, I bet that’s good! We need to see a pic of that cut into.

PanChango likes this.
  17. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I will snap a pic at lunch tomorrow.

PatrickA51 and BamaT like this.
  18. Redrock

Alder smoked salmon. Delish!!

Alder.JPG

19. Ksblazer

Ksblazer Well-Known Member

Been doing up some beef the last couple of weekends.

Last weekend I did up my first smoked tri tip. It turned out excellent! Marinated in red wine, soy sauce, honey, thyme, garlic and onion powder and rubbed it with cracked black pepper before going into the smoker.Can't wait to do another.

This weekend it was a beef chuck roast. It turned out great as well. Used a mix of 3 rubs. Mesquite, Montreal steak and seasoned pepper.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
  20. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I just finished up 12 straight days of work and wanted to relax. Unfortunately there is too much to do here to relax, so I did the next best thing... Smoked beef short ribs while I was working in the yard. They took about 7 hours at 250F to finish. Used cherry wood and went simple with just salt, pepper, and a bit of ground de arbol chile.

Anyway, thanks for looking.
    ribs.jpg