Super Adjustable Issues

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by John Ruschmeyer, Feb 22, 2016.

1. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

As I mentioned in yesterday's SoTD, I've decided to spend a few days trying to get comfortable with the Super-109 that I've had for a while, but haven't used much. Since the SA, seems to get a fair amount of love here, I'm writing in the hopes of getting some advice on some issues I'm having.

By way of background, one of my favorite razors is the Slim Adjustable so any comparisons are based on that model.

As I started to shave with the Super-109 yesterday, two things that I've noticed before quickly emerged. First, although it may have been soap residue on my hands, it seemed like the handle was much less grippy than on the the Slim or most of my other razors. Second, I started getting some hand cramping though I'm not sure if this was from gripping the razor too tightly or from some balance issue due to the longer handle. (I'm inclined to think it is the latter, though, as I've had similar issues with a long handle on a three-piece razor.) I was able to make corrections and relieve some of the discomfort, but I'd really like to understand what is going on.

So... am I the only one who has these issues with the SA? Any advice on the best way to grip one comfortably? Would I do better with a Super-84, perhaps? (And does anyone have one to share? ;))

Additional thoughts welcome...
    JR

Carbide Mike likes this.
  2. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

I have all three (Slim, and both long & short SAs), and my first shave with the 109 was really weird-feeling. I've only used it once, so I reckon it'll take some getting used to. The slipperiness is probably due to the resin handle; my Slim has a nice, firm feel to it. I haven't really used any of my black handles as much as my Techs (those have become my favorites) to notice any slipping, though.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  3. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

You shouldn't have hand cramping from any razor. You should be gripping the handle with the tips of your fingers, and be using very very light pressure, when shaving.
    You could be having medical problems, if you are using a light touch already. You might want to consult a physician.
    I know if I work out harder than usual, I take some Potassium to keep from having leg cramps, at night.

Carbide Mike, Redfisher and Robyflexx like this.
  4. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    Resin handle??? Thought it was painted opposed to plated metal. :shocked003:

Carbide Mike and Herm2502 like this.
  5. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

Carbide Mike likes this.
  6. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

It is aluminum. I once found out the hard way (sodium hydroxide).

As for the hand discomfort, I know exactly what you mean except that I don't get it with the SA. I've always gotten it with the Fatboy, which is why I have never owned one for more than a week or two.

Carbide Mike and Robyflexx like this.
  7. John Ruschmeyer

In this case, I think it is the touch and something to do with center of gravity. I suspect that I am gripping it too tightly out of fear of it slipping. Also, I think I have the (possibly bad) habit of holding a razor nearer the end of the handle. This is not an issue with the short handles of most of my razors or even with my Schick J1 which has a longer handle yet, but a very light head. OTOH, the Super-109 is already head-heavy to begin with so I think something is going on with center of gravity and or leverage.

JR

Carbide Mike likes this.
  8. John Ruschmeyer

Well, the next time that happens to you with a Fatboy, you can send it my way for, um... testing. :)

Carbide Mike, Herm2502 and gorgo2 like this.
  9. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

I have 3 Gillette Adjustables, the Slim, Fatboy and Super Adj. (Black Beauty or BB) Love them all. If your used to the Slim and started shaving with the BB, the heads are the same but balance is much different. The BB is thinner so when i use it I hold it slightly behind the balance of the handle giving the head more weight. I really don't find an issue with it slipping, Never hold a razor too tightly, allowing the hand to cramp up. In any case the hand should be relaxed.

Carbide Mike and Herm2502 like this.
  10. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I've got 5 Gillette adjustables, a '58 Fat Boy, '58 Executive, '65 Slim, '70 Short Handle SA and a '75 Long Handle SA and haven't experienced any problems with grip or my hand cramping with any of them. I really like the feel of both Fattys, but don't honestly remember how the Slim or either SA feel. So, my curiosity has been piqued and I think my Long Handle will move up in my list to next in line. Thanks for making the pick for me!

Carbide Mike likes this.
  11. John Ruschmeyer

I shaved again today with the Super-109, trying to be more cognizant of not gripping too hard and gripping further up the handle. No cramping, but a definite sense, at times, of how head-heavy the razor is. Somewhere in that, I think, is the root of my issues.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  12. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I agree with your "head heavy" comment. I guess I never noticed before. The light aluminum handle makes it that way.

Carbide Mike and Robyflexx like this.
  13. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I like the looks of my 109, but I tend to hold it in the middle or towards the top of the handle. Again, I use a very light touch. I hope you can get yours figured out.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  14. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Got a '71 SA-109. Been using it since Saturday loaded with a Gillette Silver Blue. Have it set on "7" for the first pass(WTG). Dial it down to "5" for the second(XTG cheeks and chin ATG neck). Touch up if needed. I've been gripping it about half way up the handle both forehand and backhand with no problems. She was going to join my NEW SC and my EJ DE89lbl as my rotation, but she may just wind up my daily driver. I still have to audition blades for it and my NEW so it probably won't be everyday 'til after the New Year.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  15. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

I'm with Dalton here. No matter what your shaving with cramps should not be a factor.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  16. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Wow, this one came back from the grave. The Black Beauty is a great razor.

Carbide Mike and jimjo1031 like this.
  17. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

I just shaved with mine 69 BB this morning. Agree a very nice shaver. However it has a different balance than the Slim and 195 (very top heavy) but not in a bad way you just have to compensate. Matter of fact I kind of like it because no amount of manual pressure is required.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  18. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Doing a Focus with my SA-109. Trying to find the right razor/blade combination. Did Astra green. Currently have a Bolzano loaded. Next up is either a Feather or a Gillette 7 o'clock green.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  19. Shave7

Shave7 Active Member

I love the Fat Boy, the Slim, and the Black Beauty (long handle and short handle). I've had zero issues or concerns with these razors or with my hand.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  20. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

Not sure about your specific issues, but I find the SA too mild, even on 9, and I'm not crazy about the long handle myself.

Carbide Mike likes this.