Super Speeds

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Uncle Brian, Apr 4, 2014.

1. Uncle Brian

Uncle Brian Active Member

I have two Super Speeds both Flare Tips and neither of them has any paint on the flare yet the C-1 is noticeably more aggressive than the G-1 using the same blade, a Feather and the same shave soap, Arko or Erasmic.

I was sure the C-1 was a red tip but a close examination shows no signs of paint, not even a tiny bit.

So are some Super Speeds more aggressive than others? Does it vary from year to year or did I just get a mean one?

The 1957 (58gm) is also slightly heavier (the 1961 is 54gm) and the knurling in the handle seems to have more bite.

Tempted to call the C-1 an honorary Redhead and enjoy the shave especially as it's my birth razor :)

What's your experience?

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

3. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

The knurling is different on the redtips so you'd be able to tell that way even if the paint was gone.

4. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

There is also 2 variants of the Flare Tip (Non color coded ones), I think it was a change that happened in the early 60's, they do shave differently between the two versions due to the profile difference of the head.

5. LookingGlass

LookingGlass Well-Known Member

Brian,

A lot of posts have been made on the various shave forums on the subject of razor aggressiveness. IMHO, this is subjective. What is aggressive for me, may not be aggressive for you. As for the vintage Gillettes, you will most likely receive a lot of advice and guidance. However, the bottom line is that you have to find the razor that meets your shaving needs. I believe the two razors you have will serve you nicely if you have good lather and good technique. This does not happen over night so hang in there and in no time I believe you will be getting nice comfortable shaves.

6. Uncle Brian

The handles are not exactly the same so I guess it's time to do a little more research :) I will post a photo tomorrow if I get time.

7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Click on the third link in my post above (or below ;)).

8. Uncle Brian

Hi Steve,
    Your guide was a great help and it seems that I have a regular old Super Speed well two of them actually and they are both correct looking for their dates. They just shave differently :)
    Brian

swarden43 likes this.
  9. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

I read on here once that the '50s style Super Speeds are more aggressive. The '60s Super Speeds had a bit less bite. This is only what I've read, and it sure makes me want to get a '50s style SS

10. Uncle Brian

One thing I have learned is that I need more Super Speeds :signs136: