SuperMax Titanium=AWESOME

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by jabberwock, Mar 10, 2013.

1. jabberwock

jabberwock Well-Known Member

I must admit that I have become somewhat ridged in my views of double edge razor blades. Mostly I see them as interesting variations of each other. After trying around 20 different blades I have a nice feel for what works and what doesn't. I have a couple that I like and use pretty much exclusively, while the others just sort of gather dust. I was happy with this situation, until I had an unexpected offer--a trade was offered to me which took some of my unwanted blades off of my hands and gave me the opportunity to try something new, a pack of SuperMax Titaniums. I love the SuperMax Stainless blades, they're inexpensive (about $8.25, including shipping, from Connaught Shaving), come in packs of 10, and shave very well. SuperMax has many different variations on their blades and while I find their varieties interesting, I have never seen any reason to change up what works for me. I really wanted to get rid of some blades that I knew didn't work well for me, so I accepted the trade with the notion that I would get something that worked better than what I was giving up, but not that much better than what I already use. Honestly, at $18-$20 per 100, I didn't imagine that they would be worth buying; they would really have to blow me away to make me consider replacing the regular stainless blades, but I figured that they were worth a try.

I received the titaniums in the mail yesterday and popped one into my trusty Edwin Jagger DE86 this morning. I expected a nice smooth shave and maybe a slight improvement over the stainless variety, but not much else...WOW, was I wrong! These blades are AMAZING! I was completely blown away by the quality of the shave that these gave me. After showering and lathering up some Razorock S. Maria I began my shave with a ho-hum sort of attitude. I immediately noticed that I did not have to work as hard to get my difficult jaw line cleaned up, the blade glided across my skin with no effort, as if the razor was being guided by a higher power. My hair laid down and gave up, immediately surrendering to the onslaught from the SuperMax Titanium blade. I could almost hear the tiny screams from my stubble begging SuperMax for mercy as it mowed them down. This shave wasn't just better than any other that I have previously experienced, it was a revelation. It was as if I had been using rusty disposable razors up until now. After two passes I had a nice smooth shave, after three it was like my skin had been transformed into silk. Don't get me wrong, I still like the SuperMax Stainless blades and I will still use them (at least until I run out), but these blades are to the stainless what a suped up street racer is to a Volvo. I have used Bolzanos, Polsilver, Kai, and a few other high end blades, and while they were all good, none of them impressed me enough to consider paying the prices that they demand. My first impression of the SuperMax Titanium blades is that, they are a well made, extremely sharp, extremely smooth blade that is still forgiving of little mistakes. If the titaniums continue to perform over the next few shaves then I will have no problem using them daily. If you're looking for something new to try, I highly recommend these blades.

Robyflexx, battle.munky, LGh and 5 others like this.
  2. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I just got some Super-Max Platinums with my TSD Shop order. Hadn't even heard of the Titaniums. I'll have to put them on my list to try.

3. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I don't guess anyone has ever heard of a Super-Max sample pack? It would be nice to get one pack with a sampling of all the different types of Super-Max blades...:)

4. Heloguy

Heloguy Well-Known Member

I've tried over 15 different types of blades, and the SuperMax Platinum's are by far the best for me. You should enjoy them. Very sharp, smooth and confortable. I get 6 great shaves on my face and head before i have to replace one.
    Absolutely no nicks, cuts, scrapes or irritation. The shaves are like religious experiences for me!
    YMMV...

178-bplatoon likes this.
  5. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I just ordered a pack of the Super Max SS from West Coast Shaving....Looking forward to giving them a try....:)

6. jabberwock

jabberwock Well-Known Member

The SuperMax SS are nice, but the titaniums are just so amazing...

7. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I have a pack of Titaniums. I might break one out now that you mention it.

8. Abu Lam'yaa

Abu Lam'yaa Member

Hey Ryan, what's the verdict here ? Did they make the cut or what ? No pun intended. LOL ....

Peace

9. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

10. Bustedupevil

Bustedupevil Member

I just ordered a 100 Supermax Platinums after lucking out and getting one as a freebie with an order. Must find me some Titaniums.

11. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

I just got a Personna Med 's 5-pack from Razor Blades & More. They included a 5-pack of the SuperMax Titanium's. They will be going in the test rotation. Great review, thanks.

......and thanks to Razor Blades & More!

jabberwock likes this.
  12. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I used a SuperMax Titanium blade yesterday. I got a really smooth and comfortable shave. I might have to buy 100 of them if the rest of my shaves with these blades are as good.

figment714 likes this.
  13. figment714

figment714 Well-Known Member

Wow, nice thread resurrection! It didn't really take you a year and a half to try the Super-Max Ti's, did it? ;)
    I must admit that when I initially tried them I had low expectations. They turned out to be some of my favorite blades. They always provide a great shave regardless of what razor I use.

14. TitanTTB

TitanTTB Well-Known Member

I'll have to try the Titanium's one day. I really like both the SuperMax Platinum and Super Platinum. They're my second tier blades after Personnas.

15. Grick

Grick Active Member

I got a pack of 200 Supermax Stainless for about 10 bucks and having used half a dozen of them on the Merkur Futur I can attest to their amazing quality. They're smooth with enough sharpness to allow for a swift shave. And I hardly ever nick myself and the shave is so smooth that I don't even need an after shave. I can't believe that the cheapest blades on the market blow all the other blades away! Feather? Nah!

16. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

Titaniums are some of the top blades available in my book. On par with feather and voskhod.