Supper?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by urrlord, Feb 27, 2018.

1. urrlord

urrlord Well-Known Member

I made a pot of meatball stew-meatballs,onion,potatoes,mushrooms,carrots,bay leaf ,black pepper and garlic.Will be ladled over mashed potatoes.

2. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

Home made Andouille sausage, home made sauerkraut, boiled itty bitty potatoes lathered in butter and generously seasoned with Johnny’s, a nice romaine salad. Then off to rehearsal to practice for our spring musical - “Song of the Open Road”. I will be performing a duet, “In the Jailhouse Now”, with harmony by my lovely and accomplished daughter Nicole, as popularized by the Soggy Bottom Boys. An excellent evening, by all accounts.

3. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

That sounds yummy. Funny enough, I'm about to make a tray of meatballs for a dinner I'm hosting on Sat.

Let me guess... potty training issues? :eek:

4. urrlord

Sausage,potatoes and kraut-a classic combo.I got my wife eating kraut and now she loves it.

AGHisBBS and jeraldgordon like this.
  5. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

Soggy Bottom Boys? No, that’s just the name they perform under. You may have seen them in the movie “Oh Brother,
    Where Art Thou?”

6. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

It’s like a deconstructed ranchers pie.

urrlord likes this.
  7. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Is dinner the same as supper?

BigMike, dustmite, AGHisBBS and 2 others like this.
  8. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

It might depend on the day of the week.

When I was growing up we had Sunday dinner at lunch time.

AGHisBBS and PanChango like this.
  9. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Thanks. I always referred to the evening meal as dinner.

10. urrlord

To me supper was the evening meal.Although some do refer to it as dinner.

11. urrlord

Never thought about it that way.But pretty much so.I have actually been craving beef stew,but got off work too late to have enough time to cook down stew beef to tenderness.So meatballs were tapped as a substitute.Turned out really good.
    We had cinnamon raisin toast w/blueberry cream cheese for dessert.

12. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

Sounds great!

13. GarnerPW

GarnerPW Well-Known Member

When I saw this thread that's what I thought it was about. The supper verse dinner debate. Supper is a word used in the mid-west and refers to the meal eaten in the evening. Due to my mid-west roots I use the term "Supper". In places where the term supper is used the noon meal is lunch, or dinner if eaten in a more formal setting, like going out to eat at a restaurant or setting around the family table to eat as a family.

I had moved from the east cost to SW Nebraska. I was living in town and was having my cable turned on. The service man came by about 11:30am to check out the job and said he would be back after dinner. Now I thought it was strange that he would be working so late but what ever. If he wanted to work in the dark that was on him. He showed back up at about 1pm. That was when it hit me, dinner was the noon meal.

AGHisBBS and PanChango like this.
  14. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Enchiladas Divorciadas
    Frijoles Refritos
    Arroz
    Guacamole
    Totopos de Maiz
    Flan

jeraldgordon likes this.
  15. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

In the old south, like Alabama, "Dinner" is viewed as a formal weekend sit down lunch time meal. Evening always supper. Lunch is what is eaten while working or when at school.

PanChango likes this.
  16. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

That makes sense.

I am a life-long yank (NY and PA).

Bama Samurai likes this.
  17. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

The other day just for a change I made poutine..a french Canadian favorite. It's cheese curd on fries with gravy. Poutine isn't just good for breakfast anymore.:p
    [​IMG]

18. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

I'm in the process of making a little (?) meat sauce for pasta. 9 hrs. in the slow cooker and.... ?
    (first time with this recipe)

PanChango likes this.
  19. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

Originally in England, dinner was a several course meal to which you sat down and changed your attire for. Supper would be a simple meal, fish and chips on the omnibus or tram home, chops in the alehouse etc. A light late meal would also be a supper, for example cheese on toast if you still felt peckish after attending the theatre in town.

20. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

You also have High Tea.

GarnerPW likes this.