Supper?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by urrlord, Feb 27, 2018.

1. urrlord

urrlord Well-Known Member

In the south many churches have "dinner on the grounds" on Sunday where it is a potluck held after morning service.So dinner=lunch in these parts for most people.

2. GarnerPW

GarnerPW Well-Known Member

When is "High Tea" served? What's the difference between "Tea" & "High Tea"?

3. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

The position of one's pinky, of course! :rofl:

4. GarnerPW

That makes sense. :confused:

5. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

Tea is a drink, Afternoon Tea is upmarket light meal of sandwiches with cakes/patisserie and of course Champagne or Tea. High Tea is a light meal such as Toasted Muffins or Crumpets, Cheese on Toast or even Lamb chops followed by Cakes usually around 4 to 6pm. In the North of England, an early and the only evening meal is also called Tea. High Tea was probably more a class or region distinction. Nowadays virtually everyone eats ready meals or take out deliveries watching television on a foldaway table. I had a High Tea this evening, toasted Muffins with Marmite and Plum Jum - not together. Followed by Scotch Pancakes. We have bad snow here, and that's all I have left apart from Scotch Broth soup or Porridge.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
    Bama Samurai and GarnerPW like this.
  6. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

High Tea could also describe what the upper class children would eat in their nurseries before being put to bed by Nanny.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
    GarnerPW likes this.
  7. GarnerPW

Thank you @Sabre. I honesty did not know what High Tea was, being from the States. I learned something new today. Is tea served with High Tea? If so does it have to be to qualify as High Tea?

8. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

Growing up we always had "supper" Monday through Saturday. Usually sat down at the table around 5:30 p.m. (still do). Sunday however, it was called"dinner" and we ate earlier around 4:30 p.m. Why - I do not know.

9. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Height of the chairs. The wealthy reclined.

10. richgem

[​IMG]

11. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say it was necessary, but when my grandmother served High Tea, with toasted breads etc. We always finished with a Victoria Sponge and a pot of tea. You wouldn't have a claret or port with Marmite on toast or Muffins, and Cola doesn't really go either - so the English staples of Tea or Ginger Beer.

GarnerPW likes this.
  12. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

High Tea is because you ate at a high table, Afternoon Tea would be taken over the "coffee" table except in hotels. Although when they get busy they do place you in the foyer or coffee lounge instead of the Palm Court/Winter Garden. Tea Rooms are also high tables.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  13. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Corn chips covered with melted white American and canned chili, microwaved until hot. Wasn't in the mood to cook tonight.

14. richgem

20180316_171038.jpg

Last night's dinner (meatless Fridays during Lent)... Poffertjes (little Dutch pillows of heaven).

15. urrlord

an odd mix-cornbread dressing,mac and cheese,pork rib and a bbq pork sandwich with a spiced slaw.pretty good though.

16. urrlord

last night's supper-beef kimchee soup.A korean coworker of my wife's gave her some marinated bulgogi , a bag of kimchee and some mushrooms.All I had to do was add beef broth and onions while cooking.My wife thought iyt was on the hot side,I added a spoon of garlic chili paste to my bowl.Very good.

17. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

Love kimchee. I lived in Korea for a year and really enjoyed their culture and food. I keep a jar of kimchee in the refrigerator all the time and use it as an addition to many dishes.

18. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Well the holiday is here and visiting families is part of it. We're bringing these as dish to pass.

To my In-laws ... Corn casserole Mmmmmmmm it's cooking right now. :drool:

https://site.jiffymix.com/spoon-bread-casserole/

Tomorrow for my parents .... Ambrosia ... Ooooooh, I can hardly wait!

Not exactly the same as our recipe, but very similar ...

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/ambrosia-recipe-1950306

We use toasted walnuts, include grapes and use Cool Whip instead of heavy cream and sugar.

Hungry already! :eatdrink020:

19. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Making up a pot of split pea soup with ham, onions, garlic and other spices. It's been a while since I made it and am really in the mood for some along with some Texas toast.

Enrico likes this.
  20. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Jim serve me up a bowl I'm on my way! :eatdrink020:

jimjo1031 likes this.