Surprise Gem!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by hippiebrian, Aug 7, 2015.

1. hippiebrian

hippiebrian Well-Known Member

So, I added a cookie bag to my TSD order, and low and behold, one of the items was a Gem razor! How cool! So, next month after my 30 day focus is done, I'mean going to try this puppy out. Which blades are best? I'mean thinking the original Gems, available surprisingly on Amazon. Also, how aggressive are these? Any pointers?

[​IMG]

macaronus, DDuckyMark and Billyfergie like this.
  2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    The blades are not the same as the box cutting blades sold at the hardware store. If you have a local Walgreen's, they should carry Gem blades in the shaving section.

The blades are good, and the razor is fairly aggressive. It shaves at a different angle than a normal DE razor, and that will take some getting used to.

Good luck, and nice haul.

Edit: I like the Gem Blue Star blades.

Billyfergie and hippiebrian like this.
  3. hippiebrian

hippiebrian Well-Known Member

Reading the reviews of the Gem blades on Amazon, it seems they are the face blades.

4. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Congratulations. I am currently using Treets. They are carbon blades. They need to be cleaned and dried after using.
    The GEM stainless steel PTFE coated blades are very good too.

hippiebrian likes this.
  5. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

That looks like a GEM Cutlery Damaskeene Closed Comb 1912 you have their Sir.....It looks like the Coveted Round Head Version as well....You have won a watch with this one because they are very smooth shavers compared to the later so called Improved GEM 1912 that were all basically cheaper made clones of the original Damaskeene 1912....These are the Pick of the Crop....;)
    Enjoy....:chores016:

Billy

hippiebrian and clint64 like this.
  6. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Nice score :happy088: I use the Gem SS blades in my EverReady 1924 "shovelhead". They are good blades and as @PLANofMAN has said many times you can find them locally at Walgreens drug store. Unfortunately my Walgreens quit selling them:angry019:stupid Walgreens!!
    I didn't find the razor overly aggressive, but it shaves quiet well and closely. Watch your angle as its a little bit different than a DE.
    Another thing if the razor is just a Gem 1912, NOT a Damaskeen, you can use a 10/32 set screw in order to use the shave head with many different DE handles.:)

Last edited: Aug 8, 2015
  7. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

The 1912 is one of my faves. I too prefer the Gem Blue Star or its CVS counterpart. They're darned fine razors. There are a number of posts on using these but the secret is keep the head flat upon your skin.

8. Billyfergie

hippiebrian likes this.
  9. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    That is pretty cool. I will have to give it a try.

hippiebrian and Billyfergie like this.
  10. Billyfergie

Aye....Quite a lot of folks have had good experience's with this method....You will find that the razor does shave closer to the face as the manufacturer's intended....Bear that in mind because you will be used to what you have been doing previously ....;)
    I find them to be a tad more aggressive but paradoxically they are smoother even with a new blade...:chores016:

Billy

hippiebrian likes this.
  11. JamesFavre

JamesFavre Active Member

Congrats on the haul there!

hippiebrian and Billyfergie like this.
  12. kurtmill

kurtmill Active Member

And I was dumb enough to think the bag of cookies was a bag of cookies.

13. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

So? Cookies are good, no? ;)

hippiebrian likes this.
  14. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Nice razor! OK, stupid TSD member here. What is a TSD shop bag of cookies?

15. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Billyfergie likes this.
  16. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........