[Final Survey] for NBJ participants

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Darkbulb, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

If you don't mind taking a minute or two out of your lives to answer these two short questions (at the bottom of this post) - I think it may be interesting to see how/if this little experiment had some more long-lasting change in our attitude or views on what we have, what we want and what we need.

Thanks again to ALL participants regardless if you 'finished' the month or not.

I'd love to hear from all of you.

Final roster ended up as per below:

@BigMark
    @Bussemand July 9th: A variety of aftershaves and soap sticks
    @Chuck F July 13th: Agua Lavanda Puig Aftershave
    @Dapper-in-a-can-man
    @Darkbulb
    @david of central florida
    @dscaver
    @fram773
    @gorgo2
    @Hersh
    @HolyRollah
    @J_Man
    @Jasman
    @Jayaruh
    @jeraldgordon July 6th: Standard Razor deal
    @JR Reyes
    @JRod22 July 22: Shavemac brush, know and some injector blades
    @Keithmax
    @LookingGlass July 8th: Vintage Semogue 1550
    @Luteplayers
    @marbert
    @markjnewcomb July 28: New razor
    @Metro
    @Mr. Shaverman
    @Neolithium
    @ObiDon
    @Omaney
    @Omelmad
    @PatrickA51
    @RaZorBurn123
    @Ryan B
    @Sara-s
    @Sean Coughlin
    @Shaver X
    @Slow Joe July 2nd: Williams Ice Blue Aftershave
    @Tattoobob
    @Troy M
    @tuxxdk July 12: Mint condition Gillette Slim "L1" and new un-used Ball-end Tech

======================================================================
    Questions:

Q1: Did participating in NBJ change in any way how you view your haves, wants and needs going forward when it comes to purchasing shaving related products?

Q2: Would you consider participating in NBJ every year - or was once enough for you?

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  2. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

A1:
    Personally I believe I came to appreciate what I have much more than before.
    I "re-discovered" soaps, creams and razors that had been lying around without seeing much use and had much fun doing so :)

A2:
    I could see myself having an 'off-month' like this once a year. Partly because of how it 'forces' you to look closer at what you have...and partly because it was just great fun to read about what fellow members were going through :)

3. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

First and foremost, Congratulations to all that participated . :happy096: Congrats 2.jpg
    Q1: Did participating in NBJ change in any way how you view your haves, wants and needs going forward when it comes to purchasing shaving related products?
    • Yes I never really paid attention to just how many Razors I own. I realize I have about 20 some odd razors. That I will probably never use I also have an abundance of Razor Blades, and Shaving Soap Pucks.
    Q2: Would you consider participating in NBJ every year - or was once enough for you?
    • Yes most defiantly, in my train of thought The no Buy July, or another month for that matter should become a regular event,

4. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

A1. I have only been wetshaving for a couple of months so I have not tried as many different soaps, creams, razors, blades, aftershaves as many other who participated in NBJ.

There is a a lot of stuff I would like to buy and try, but NBJ taught me that what I have at the moment enough soaps and creams to last at least 2 years and that I don't need to own everything I would like to try right now. I'm gonna pick a number and im gonna try to keep my soap quantity low, when I finish a soap then there is room for another.

My wants are many, but my needs are satisfied =)

A2. I would be game to do this again next year. It's weird but I thought it was fun seing what made people break the pledge, things they really really wanted for a long time. Mostly it's nice not buying stuff because of outside "pressure" and that made it easier to appreciate what I do have, which is a pretty neat den. It's easy to say, I'm not buying stuff for at least a month, but when everyone is doing it, it is easier to accomplish when other people are doing it.

Mr. Shaverman and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  5. marbert

marbert Well-Known Member

I got excited early on when I first started DE shaving and bought a lot of soaps and creams beyond what I immediately needed…all in the name of fine-tuning my shave and figuring out what works. I feel I've got a good handle on things these days and don't have a serious acquisition disorder problem.

Sure, I'll sign up again next year. Honestly, I could go without buying another shaving related item until next July and have plenty of products to work through. Perhaps I'll participate in "No Buy 365."

6. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

No buy 365 sounds challenging haha

Mr. Shaverman likes this.
  7. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I liked putting my attitude about buying hobby related items in check. let's face it, anyone who's hobby is this has enough stuff to go several months. I did use what I had, and liked using it. but I really enjoyed putting my buying in check.
    I would do it again.

8. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

It didn't really change anything for me, because I really hadn't planned to buy anything for a while, anyhow. My AD's are not that compulsive & I make most of my products. I would participate again.

9. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

1) NBJ tamed my compulsive RAD. My perspective has definitely been altered.

2) Absolutely. NBJ could easily become a Shave Den Tradition.

10. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

1.) NBJ helped me to stop and analyze my expanding collection. Over the past 6 months I have acquired a good amount of gear. I did however notice that I had too many brushes and razors, but not enough software. I became obsessed with trying to make trades in order to fill the void. It wasnt easy to not buy, but I do appreciate what I have much more.

2.) I can easily see myself participating in no buy july every year. My other mandatory monthly participation will be PIF march. Thanks again for the opportunity. It was fun struggling alongside all of the participants.

11. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

1) No Buy July marked the first month in 8 months that I have not purchased something shave related.
    2) I looked over the contents of my cabinet and roughly calculated that I needn't purchase anything until 2016. I am determined to save money shaving! So, yes, I will participate again next year and hope to not purchase anything impulsively between now and then!

12. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

What I've taken away from NBJ is.
    1. I really do not need any more gear
    2. I'm very grateful to be able to have nice gear. Not expensive, nice.
    3. Figure out how to rotate or PIF unused gear.
    4. This wonderful group kept going strong. Not rubbing it in to those who bought.
    5 Thank you @Darkbulb for your hard work and dedication to the NBJ.

Would I participate in another NBM?
    Yes!

A big thank you to those who made a donation to TSD during NBJ.

13. Chuck F

Chuck F Cheesy! Big Curd style

Congrats to all those who made it! You are stronger than I. I really thought I'd cruise through the month, but ended up folding at basically the first opportunity.

I'll say that I am really enjoying the aftershave and soaps I ended up buying in July. :D

1. I learned that without a strong consequence, my willpower is quickly undermined. Might I suggest that for future No-buy months, participants agree to a donation to TSD if they fall off the wagon. Even a small donation would probably do the trick, but to really make it sting it could be a donation equal to what you spent breaking the pledge. I also did get an appreciation, in the couple of weeks I was still with it, for what products I really like but have neglected, and which ones I've neglected because I just don't like them as much as others. That will make it easier to clear some things out.

2. I don't know if I'll participate again. I probably will.

14. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

I was already in the process of refining and consolidation.

1) I bowed out early, because the one product I had determined I still wanted became available. I am very happy with that purchase, have everything I need or really want, and have begun divesting myself of the extra. I've started selling off extras, and will keep refining down to a core 6 or so razors. I intend to spend the next couple years using up less loved soaps and creams, and from that time forward only buying new product that I already know I really like.

2) I've already pledged for No Buy August!

15. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

1. It made me look at how much I really had, and how much I actually use. I think I tend to overestimate how fast I go through things. I had ordered some sample pucks of Stirling right before NBJ, and I thought I would probably blow through them all very fast and had already been anticipating the next order. Nope. I finished one complete SAMPLE sized puck, a little of another one, and almost done with a second sample sized puck. I did toss in a cream about once or twice a week, but really, those sample pucks were my mainstay of NBJ, and there are 2 more I haven't even gotten to yet. I'd posted in another thread that I'd already been pulling things aside to PIF or ebay, realizing how much I wouldn't ever use.
    2. Yes, definitely. NBJ should be a tradition. I think most months are going to be a no buy for me now, at least for a long while. I have too much. I've got a credit at a website I want to finish off, and that will probably be the end of my purchases for a while.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  16. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

1) It made me pay closer attention to how much I like - and dislike - certain of the products I have, influencing which things are likely to get restocked versus replaced.
    2) Yes, I'd consider doing this annually.

RaZorBurn123 and Mr. Shaverman like this.
  17. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Let's just say that this past month certainly tested and tempered my compulsiveness to snag every razor I saw and desired on ebay. I really don't need more shaving software —nor hardware, for that matter. So the end result from this month's participation in NBJ is I missed out on a number of potential purchases to add to my personal stash of razors—and I'm quite okay with that result. It allowed my to focus on actually restoring a half-dozen SRs and make them both shave-ready and sale-ready. I wound up selling 8 razors in the month of July, so not only did I not spend money on shaving gear, I actually made a little cash from it...a rare occurrence.

Sure. Bring it on!

18. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

As a man of few words I will just say that I greatly benefited from this. I might consider participating in next years NBJ, but that is to far away to even consider at this point.

RaZorBurn123 and Mr. Shaverman like this.
  19. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    There is a big gap between wants and needs. I really don't need any more shave related products. I could probably go to 2016 or beyond without buying.​

Most definitely participate. The No Buy 365 sounds interesting, but that is a wagon I would probably fall off of.​

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  20. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

A1. I have only been DE shaving since May, and going in only got what I needed, VHS kit and a Murker 34c. Then I started seeing cool items I wanted. Cobalt blue 1985 OS mug, got it. The list started to get longer as I went. NBJ made me rethink my objective. Get a quality shave and have some fun. I will continue to build my Den, but more slowly, enjoying each new aquasition, and not thirst as much for the hunt for the next soap, mug, or aftershave. And just wanted to add, this is a great place, because y'all make it so.

A2 I'm in

BigMark and RaZorBurn123 like this.