Sushi anyone?

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by msandoval858, Feb 9, 2007.

1. Mama Bear

Mama Bear New Member

I like Sushi... but I LOVE octopus...

When I was in Hawaii I became addicted to taco poki... not to be confused with taco loco... one was raw marinated and spiced octopus and one made you desperately want raw marinated and spiced octopus........:D Spelling may be wrong on either of these, at my age, the memories are so much better.... ::

2. fuerein

fuerein New Member

I can't quite bring myself to try sushi. One, I only somewhat like fish. Lighter flavored fish (cod and such) I like and a grilled tuna steak is also quite nice but stronger fish flavors are repulsive to me (salmon often fits this category). Add to that I tasted nori once and to me it had a similar taste to that of the fish I hated...

Such a shame, I've often been intriged by sushi but between knowing I don't care for some of the ingredients when used in other applications and just not knowing where to get quality sushi (since I know that can make a difference in flavor) I've been ever so reluctant.

3. Lyrt

Lyrt Flash

Was it takoyaki?

Attached Files:

4. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

I am the opposite. Cod is really strong flavor and salmon and tuna are very light. The thing with sushi is that you almost do not taste the fish. As a matter of fact if you ever go to a sushi bar and smell fish turn around and walk out. Salmon almost dissolves in your mouth it is so tender.

Raf

5. xChris

xChris Member

Mackeral is one fish in sushi that I definitely eat in moderation (usually at the end of a meal, if I eat it at all). The fish has an intense and strong scent and taste. I don't know if it is the oil content of this fish too, but it is very rich too, so I usually only have a couple pieces of it.

Anyone who hasn;t eaten sushi before, I recommend that they keep the Mackeral for the end as well -- you'll be done with eating after having some of it.

6. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    You are very correct. The more oil content the fish has, the stronger the flavor in the sushi world. Salmon is about the mildest you can get, as the flavor and texture of salmon is very similar between raw and cooked.

7. msandoval858

msandoval858 Active Member

Salmon (sake) and tuna (maguro) are pretty safe bets for beggining sushi eaters. They have that melt in your mouth texture that is just delicious provided you don't drown it out in soy sauce. Yellowtail (hamachi) is also a very good mild to medium flavor fish. Escolar is pretty commonly found however I've read that certain people can have digestive sensitity to it and a some sushi bars are no longer serving it on their menu.

Mackerel (saba) is definately one to stay away from. It is actually a cooked fish technically because it is marinated in a salt/vinegar. Raw mackerel goes bad very quickly. I consider myself a pretty experienced sushi eater and I really don't care for it that much either.

8. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

I am still waiting for the invite to Mikesan House of Sushi:D

9. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

All good advice. I'm also a fan of Uni (sea urchin) and Unagi (eel). There are an endless amount of things you can try like Tako (Octopus) and Ama Ebi (sweet shrimp). If it smells fishy, walk away.

10. Lynchmeister

Lynchmeister New Member

Aha! The famous "Octopus balls!"

I remember Tony Bourdain eating a whole slew of these with a pair of Japanese comediens in...Osaka, I think.

11. Htownmmm

Htownmmm Member

I've been eating susuhi since 1991 when a co-worker(half-Korean and half- Hawaiin) responded to a question of mine and brought some in the next day. He took me to spots I wasn't aware of and now says I eat things he wouldn't even consider!

Marty

12. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Yesterday was another free Sushi day. Don't ask me what they got me. I didn't even I want to know. A couple of things were still moving. :) I think they took it as a personal challenge. Free beer came with it too!

13. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Appetizers

I think edamame is becoming quite popular. I also like hiyayakko. It's when I reach for the nato do I get the Japanese guys' attention.

14. fuerein

fuerein New Member

I imagine it would get their attention. My understanding regarding nato is that people who did not grow up in Japan rarely develop a taste for it and even a decent portion of Japan cannot stand the stuff. If I'm not mistaken I think nato is generally liked by the Japanese in the east and those in the west generally dislike it (I may have that backward).

15. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Not sure on the demographics either. I do know that a lot of Japanese do not like the stuff. Its fun to watch the eyebrows go up followed by the sound like Tim Taylor on Tool Time makes. Starts low and ends high. Then the following statement. "You eat nato?" "Very strange." I also get funny looks on the way I hold chopsticks. Very "non-traditional." I am a true Gaijin. :) In truth I love sushi but, I love nabeyaki udon or katsu-don even more.

16. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

It's fresh Sushi Day in the Cafe from Chef Takayama! Miso Soup, Edemame, some Spicy California Roll and a selection of hand rolls are calling to me.

17. Lyrt

Lyrt Flash

Nattō is a Kanto specialty. It is indeed weird for people in Kansai.

18. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

you gentlemen are lucky--sushi is a taste I can't seem to acquire...:(

19. Will

Will Nevermind

Have you tried Sashimi? It may warm you up to it.

20. msandoval858

msandoval858 Active Member

Have you seen the prices that some of the better sushi bars charge :eek:

It's a blessing and a curse :rofl