Swank H.W. Co. "Perfection"

Discussion in 'Razor Restoration' started by DaltonGang, Aug 7, 2017.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

This was a little project, mainly to show what can be done with cracked scales. It's no always a death sentence, for them.
    This was a $7.99 eBay find, that I thought had potential. It had rust spots on both sides, and one scale was split, completely through.
    I started be using some Gorilla Glue, Super glue, and clamping the broken scale, with a light plastic clip. I applied 3 coats to the crack, over a weeks time. I like the Gorilla Glue version, because it isn't as brittle as other Cyano Acetate glues. YMMV.
    When it was all dried, I sanded it flush, progressing from 180-1500 grit, with water, and polishing it with Flitz.
    I did the same with the blade, except I used mineral oil, and no Flitz. I didn't want it too shiny. Next up are the hones.

Swank H.W. Co. "Perfection". 12/16th

Before:
    s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg

After:
    P8071110.JPG

P8071111.JPG

AGHisBBS, jtspartan, Spyder and 8 others like this.
  2. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Great job!

Spyder, Kokak and Billyfergie like this.
  3. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

4. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Nice job......

Spyder, Billyfergie and Kokak like this.
  5. Heljestrand23

Heljestrand23 Well-Known Member

I'm consistently surprised by your simple solutions to restoration issues. I'll have to give it a try with a few razors I have with cracked plastic scales

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder, Billyfergie and Keithmax like this.
  6. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Gluing up wedge-end cracks are fixable/redeemable since there's very little stress on the wedge. It's a fast & relatively low-cost way to get a razor in the rotation. :happy088:
    If, however, the wedge end pin has become loose along the way, the situation is more problematic due to the attempts to peen the pin tight on a crack!

Cracks or splits on the pivot end are naturally far more serious to the integrity of the razor and often can be the main cause for scale replacement.

Spyder, Paul76, Billyfergie and 2 others like this.
  7. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Wow, what a beautiful restore.

8. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

9. DaltonGang

I agree, somewhat. I've been able to fix wedge end splits, cracks, and broken off pieces easily. Not much stress in that area, even if the pin is slightly loose. The CA solution will work its way into the wedge area(between the scales), and hold the wedge and pin fast. I haven't run into a problematic wedge area, unless the wedge is missing, or the scales are too warped.
    The Pivot End is another matter. I've fixed badly cracked scales, near the pivot pin, as long as the piece isn't completely broken off. This is all subjective though, depending on the location and severity of the pivot crack.
    To make this work, it is a must, that the scales are very clean, and free of oils and soap. I soak mine for about 10-15 minutes in warm water with a good Palmolive soap added. Then srub them with a toothbrush and let them air dry, before adding the CA.

10. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Sometimes you'll come across a wedge end crack AND warping on the end.
    I'm redoing the scales on an old Sheffield razor where I discovered upon removing the wedge pin, a SECOND wedge pin that had been added later to inhibit some warpage. Odd....

Spyder and Billyfergie like this.
  11. DaltonGang

That sounds like a challenge. Any pics??
    I think my next challenge will be a Horn Scaled Wosty, that is splitting badly, and chipping. I'll see what I can do to save that, and Prettify it.

12. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Old horn scales, wedge end, before removal of the end cap...
    old_tally_scales_before.jpg

After removal of pin & washer, another pin is revealed (white is lube/paste to minimize scuffing/scratches when removing the initial pin.). You can see a crack above the pin area in the top photo.
    old_tally_scales_after01.jpg
    old_tally_scales_after02.jpg

Essentially, they're toast. Making new scale horns from scratch.

mrchick, Spyder, Paul76 and 2 others like this.
  13. Paul76

Paul76 Well-Known Member

Very nice work @DaltonGang! Good idea on how to save the scales. It turned out looking new again.

14. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Nice job, Scott! Great tips on the G glue. That's what I use to finish wood scales.

Billyfergie likes this.
  15. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

Like it never happened.