Switched to DE after 30 years

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Bro Rasage, Aug 5, 2017.

1. Bro Rasage

Bro Rasage Member

Well, I've switched to DE after 30 years of cartridge shaving. What a revelation - much better shaves, less irritation, plus we get to stick it to the man (the cartridge man, that is). What's not to like! Now I geekily look forward to my next shave. You'll have heard this all before of course, but I felt compelled to post.

Obviously I'm feeling foolish for not having switched earlier, but trying not to dwell on that.

For context, I usually shave every third day, and have a fairly thick beard (I'm not Greek or anything, but still). Thought I'd start conservatively and bought a Merkur 1904 open comb, and have settled on Astra blades for now. No brush for me - I use King of Shaves gel. At this point people are probably throwing up their hands in horror, but it's what I used before and I wanted a controlled experiment.

I've seen it said that the 1904 OC isn't for newcomers to DE, but I found it a joy from the word go. Obviously I had a little shaving experience behind me already :) Perhaps that helped.

It's been six weeks now, and I thought a little more aggression was in order and have ordered a Merkur Futur. (Sadly it won't get to me here in New Zealand for a couple of weeks. I think someone must be swimming over with it.)

In closing, I'd just like to say what a great resource TSD is. Thanks everyone!

Vlasta, Keithmax, SABOTEURw and 8 others like this.
  2. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Sounds like you're doing good! Welcome! Slow changes at first is the best route. I would say give a brush and/ or cream a shot at some point. It is a great experience.

3. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Brush with a soap and/or cream. My grammar sucks today. Lol

4. Puma

Puma Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Den. I disagree with those who say the 1904 isn't good for beginners. Maybe it isn't as mild as a Jagger 89, but it isn't much more aggressive either. It is a nice mild to moderate razor in my estimation. As for the gel, lots of guys use that stuff with no issues, but I predict that if you like shaving with a safety razor, and have the time, eventually you will want to learn to use a brush and experience some good traditional and artisan soaps and creams. Once you are exposed to those scents, you will also start using their aftershaves. Your face will thank you, but it gets addictive.

Zykris likes this.
  5. BambulanceMan

BambulanceMan Well-Known Member

Awesome! Glad to see you falling down the rabbit hole!

Sent from my LGUS997 using Tapatalk

Zykris likes this.
  6. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Back when I used Edge Gel, I also used a boar brush to apply it to my face. It worked great. You do need a brush even if you use gel. If you will PM me your address, I will send you a brush.
    zwelcome2.jpg

7. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Nice post, and welcome. Head over to The Welcome Center and introduce yourself.

EnglishChannel likes this.
  8. George X

George X Well-Known Member

I usually don't start a shout out with "Bro" but since it's in your name...Bro, welcome to Den

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Hello and welcome

10. EnglishChannel

EnglishChannel Well-Known Member

Bro, WELCOME and thanks for sharing!
    And as you can clearly see, this is the best place to hangout for good information and plenty of support.

Make sure you take Jayaruh up on his offer. Many here really love his custom made brushes.

RyX likes this.
  11. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

Whoa!!!! What a great gesture!!!

George X and RyX like this.
  12. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

Here are some of my @Jayaruh brushes:

IMG_20170728_231530.jpg

You should take him up on his offer.

13. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

:signs011:

14. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Welcome from The Great Garden State @Bro Rasage!
    I also have an @Jayaruh brush:
    IMG_0314.JPG JR#161. Local Major League Baseball team Special Edition.
    Take him up on his offer, your face will thank you!
    Way to step up Jim!(I would expect nothing less! :))

15. Rosengaard

Rosengaard Well-Known Member

Hi Bro and welcome.

Congratiolations on the shift to a more civilised way of shaving :)
    I made the shift from box-shavers 4-5 months ago and I remeber what a revelation it was to have a real shave.
    ... and I have to mention "the brush issue" as well.... When I switched I switched to brush/soap immeadiately, and it was no problem at all. As long as you use an easy soap (Prorasso is a good place to start) I find that you will soon come to enjoy the gentle massage of the brush.

And while you're out scouting for new shavers, I'll recommend that You take a look at some of the vintage razors on ebay and elsewhere. After my first shaver (Merkur 34c) i've only bought vintage shavers.

And one more note :)...
    Whereabouts in New Zealand are you from?? Im from denmark, but my best travel memory ever is hicthhiking around NZ a very long time ago. I just love your country!!

16. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Welcome to the den!!

17. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Good morning from MN!

18. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

Welcome! And 1904 OC is not a bad option for the first razor. Merkur open combs are nice. Merkur 15C (same head as 1904) was for a long time my favorite.

19. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

Welcome! A great way to advance your technique is a 30 day rule or focus. Feel free to stop by the 30 day thread and ask questions.

RyX likes this.
  20. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Welcome to TSD!