Synthetic Brush

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by ob1page, Feb 25, 2017.

1. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

You are missing nothing ... you just have different preferences.

ob1page likes this.
  2. Christopher Powell

Christopher Powell Well-Known Member

I noticed that too. I stopped wetting the brush all together and that problem greatly reduced. I get very little splash now.

ob1page likes this.
  3. Christopher Powell

Christopher Powell Well-Known Member

The S-Brush is the only synthetic I have used. I got it for an amazing price at Italian Barber !!!

ob1page likes this.
  4. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Ahh ... definitely worth trying others then as well ... the S-brush is different from most, in my opinion (not saying better or worse, depends on your preferences).

ob1page likes this.
  5. Holang-i

Holang-i Member

This is my sythetic shave brush i love it it dosnt shed and lathers up well this site wont allow me to put up my camera pics something bout file to big so this will have to do.

Attached Files:

Enrico and ob1page like this.
  6. 2hot 2trot

2hot 2trot Active Member

The only brush I currently own in the world is an OMEGA pro 49 boar. I promised myself that I would not look any further until I have "broken this bad boy in":) but I want to have a go already on a synth.

I am intrigued to have one purely because of the amazing reports I am reading from them.

Can anyone suggest where a good starter would be?

Many thanks
    Wayne.

PickledNorthern and ob1page like this.
  7. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Stirling or Maggards. They are essentially the same knots, so pick a handle you like the look of. Best price for what is one of the best all around synthetics there is.

ob1page likes this.
  8. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Only "best" when you like the Plisson style fibres. I'm not a fan personally, but tastes differ.

9. PickledNorthern

Note I said ONE of the best. They aren't my favorite by any means, but a super affordable way to see what better synthetics are all about; especially for a new shaver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ob1page and Eeyore like this.
  10. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I bought my father a Maggard's synthetic brush for Christmas and re-knot most of my brushes with their synthetic knots. Hard not to like them ... soft, durable, great for traveling and affordable!

ob1page likes this.
  11. David W650

David W650 Active Member

Sorry I took so long to reply.

I'm very happy with my purchase. The handle has a very solid feel to it and feels good in my hand. The fibers look and feel almost like natural badger hair.

Granted I could write a review in detail but I would like to keep it simple. It makes great foam and holds more than enough soap for a two pass shave.

It just works for me.

Thanks for your help.

PickledNorthern and ob1page like this.
  12. PickledNorthern

I am glad you like it. They definitely are my favorite synthetics, and the more I use them, they are very much becoming two of my favorite brushes.

ob1page likes this.
  13. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

I've been lusting for them as well, but I'm not convinced yet that they will be different enough (for me!) from my Edwin Jagger Silvertip Fibre brush.
    They certainly have a unique, and very classy, look.

ob1page and PickledNorthern like this.
  14. PickledNorthern

15. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Well-Known Member

I love my Maggard's 24mm Synthetic. I have a Tuxedo, but I don't know if I can use it. It looks too good.

gwsmallwood and ob1page like this.
  16. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I'm be very happy with the 23mm Plisson in my Le Maison du Barbier. And now that Tom is making one of his 400s for me I also have to choose whether to transplant the knot or look elsewhere. I know there are good values in synthetics but also wonder whether they perform better than my Plisson.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

ob1page likes this.
  17. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

Let me know how that transplant works out. I'm getting a custom handle made with a Tuxedo knot. I have the same Plisson brush you have, the #12. It's still my favorite synthetic knot, even over a Cashmere.

ob1page and jmudrick like this.
  18. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Yeah I have enough problems with razor acquisition addiction, I'm committed to not expanding into brushes where the Plisson does so well for me. I'd like to hear from anyone who thinks there are better alternatives.

ob1page likes this.
  19. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

You'll likely get a number of responses to that question. Brushes are very personal. Some folks do not like any flop, others, like myself, like some flop and splay. It depends a lot on how you lather and other factors. The only way to figure this out is to try a few and see what works best for you. Luckily, I have 3 sons who wet shave, so the way I see it, I can try 4 products and pass 3 of them on ;)

mrchick, ob1page and jmudrick like this.
  20. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

"Trying a few" is exactly how the trouble starts isn't it?

mrchick, ob1page and twhite like this.