Tabac shaving soap?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Darkbulb, Apr 12, 2014.

1. ChiefShaver

ChiefShaver Well-Known Member

My father as well as my granddad weren't wetshavers. They always shaved with an electric razor.

But sometimes i went through the City and then the Tabac scent came into my nose. I was 13 maybe 14 years old...and i loved the scent. Didn't know what it was but i liked it.

This must be the reason why i stll like the Tabac scent. Reminds me of the days as a Child. :)

crackstar, Slow Joe, Spud and 4 others like this.
  2. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Spot on, Chiefsaver. It's also a scent that reminds me of back then, especially because my Granddad used it.

My paternal past also used electrics and I was taught and raised on electrics.

Slow Joe, Spud, Mr. Shaverman and 2 others like this.
  3. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

I liked the scent right away because it reminds me of my Dad. He used it since at least the 70s. I didn't realize it was Tabac until I found one of his old shaving mugs and there was the remains of a puck in there. The scent was faint but it awoke so many memories. He was also an Aqua Velva man, so that is also special to me.

Spud, Mr. Shaverman and ps1160 like this.
  4. 5Savages

5Savages Well-Known Member

My wet shaving journey started with a jar of Tabac shave soap that my bro-in-law gave me for Christmas 3 years ago. Upon smelling it for the first time I thought to myself, "Oh my god, I can't believe he give me something that smells this horrible!!". A few times that day I'd open it up and take a whiff. Ok, maybe it's not THAT bad, but still. I opted to use the Edwin Jagger Sea Buckthorn my wife gave me...which I've since tossed...for my first shave with my new DE supplies.

I found that I kept being drawn towards that scent and was opening up the list every time I was in the bathroom, my opinion slowly evolving. By the third day I could take it no more and used the fresh jar of Tabac. The lather I created was rather pitiful (my fault, not the soaps) but that scent...THAT SCENT!!!! I had gone completely 180° and in my mind, the Tabac scent is the defining scent of wet shaving. To this day it's still my favorite shaving scent.

I'm using Tabac as my main soap for December and I find it so easy to lather up and the perfect consistency every single time. It's just as easy as any of the croaps I have. Amazing stuff!!

Slow Joe, Spud, Tdmsu and 1 other person like this.
  5. ChiefShaver

ChiefShaver Well-Known Member

Yeah...the Tabac was one of my first soaps too when i started my "classic" wetshaving with a DE or SE Razors. Even with my straights. This was about 2-3 years ago. In the past i only used canned goo (Gillette Foam) and a Mach3 or an Gillette Fusion.

The soap alone makes a HUGE difference in the feeling of shaving. IMHO. :)

Spud and Tdmsu like this.
  6. macintoshBR

macintoshBR Active Member

I really like Tabac. For me, it smells like laundry soap, making it a clean scent. Great soap!

Tdmsu and Spud like this.
  7. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

I had the exact same experience. When I smell it now all I pick up is the mild "woody" smell, for lack of a better way to describe it.
    I like it more every time I use it.

Tdmsu and Mr. Shaverman like this.
  8. numerouno

numerouno Member

One of the best scents in shaving soaps. Top shelf for me !

Luziana_Geezer, Tdmsu, ps1160 and 2 others like this.
  9. GSlim66

GSlim66 Well-Known Member

Great scent and lather.

ps1160, Luziana_Geezer and Tdmsu like this.
  10. 5Savages

As I got to the end of December, having enjoyed a couple dozen Tabac shaves last month, I started thinking about all the soaps that have been discontinued. With most soaps, if they were discontinued, I wouldn't care too much, but losing Tabac would really be a shame so, even though I have way too much shaving soaps & creams, I ordered a refill of Tabac (and MWF) from Connaught Shaving. I may have to buy one or two more in the coming months, just to make sure I always have some.

Mr. Shaverman, ps1160 and Tdmsu like this.
  11. Luziana_Geezer

Luziana_Geezer Active Member

Is there really any fear of this? If so, I guess I will have to follow your lead.

12. 5Savages

No, I wouldn't say there is any fear. I certainly don't have any inside knowledge and wouldn't suggest stocking up based on my comments. The company did, however, discontinue making the Sir Irisch Moos Shaving Stick, so I think it is a possibility, however slight.

There is really no risk to buying a backup or two though, as I'll use them eventually anyway.

Tdmsu likes this.
  13. Luziana_Geezer

Luziana_Geezer Active Member

What if you were an old geezer? ;)

14. jar

jar Well-Known Member

As an older man who has been using Tabac since he was a much younger man I find the scent just as it should be. It's not one of the new scents but it is what those newer scents aspire to be when they grow up.

Tdmsu, Keithmax, Eeyore and 2 others like this.
  15. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

It's interesting that this thread has been resurrected. I've been thinking about getting some Tabac soap. So reading the thread will be good for me. Thanks for bringing it back

brit and Tdmsu like this.
  16. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Scents are a personal thing, I love Tabac, definitely top three in my den and it's the one I'm taking it on the road for two months.

[​IMG]

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

brit, Tdmsu, Keithmax and 1 other person like this.
  17. brit

brit in a box

love the soap and the aftershave.grew on me.not a flower scent man. at first....wife and i love it,very old school to me anyhow,not everything has to change....

Tdmsu and Keithmax like this.
  18. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

It was my number one (and only) soap for many years. It is a top-tier soap for sure, rich, cushioning, slick lather. And I love the scent.

I'm using an artisan soap now, but can see myself working back to Tabac.

brit, Tdmsu and Keithmax like this.
  19. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

My grandfather always used it. So it will do for me as well, and is always in my rotation. Together with the Tabac aftershave.

tuxxdk, brit and Tdmsu like this.
  20. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Mein lieber, nach meiner Meinung ist Tabac absolut prima sogar ohne Menthol! lollllllll

Tdmsu likes this.