Tabac shaving soap?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Darkbulb, Apr 12, 2014.

1. Luziana_Geezer

Luziana_Geezer Active Member

Thanks. The size of the puck appears to be yet another consideration for the thrifty wet shaver—especially if he wants to limit the size of his collection.

I was thinking that I might look for a replacement soap, and had actually decided on one that had nearly 2000 positive reviews at Amazon. Then I noticed that I would be compelled to replace the mug/jar I have been using these past several years since the Deluxe VDH pucks are 2.5 inches, which is not, I assume, a standard. It appears, though, that there may be no standard puck size per se, as a small check of a few that actually state puck dimensions show that some are 3 while others are 3.5 inches; I am guessing that there may be even more pucks of different sizes. Since the all-around positive regard for the Tabac prompted me to go this way. I suppose that this will lock me into this soap when it's time again to reorder so that I don't run into any confusion.

Spit_Fire and Omelmad like this.
  2. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

I have a tabac soap in jar. I haven't used in a while. But I have heard that this soap lasts and lasts and lasts.

But you shouldn't let the soap puck size stop you or dictate what soap you buy.

I have an Arko stick pressed in a container with lid, one Palmolive stick grated with cheese grater and pressed down in another container with lid, also I have a Williams shave soap puck grated and pressed in a tub with lid. There is videos on YouTube.

You can fill up a small mug with a big soap, you can put 2 smaller soaps in a bigger mug, some people grate 2 different soaps and mix them together.

Tdmsu likes this.
  3. Luziana_Geezer

This assumes that the soap puck user/buyer doesn't mind having many soaps in a large array of vessels in his shave den. My goal is, however, to use the Tabac exclusively, then choose to buy a replacement when this one is gone or elect to go to another brand/style. The size of my Tabac bowl would, thus, be what would dictate my choice of a soap to replace the present one.

4. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

That would be up to the merchant and website you order from. As with everything, it's good to shop around for the best price.

5. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

using one soap until it is gone? That would be so boring for me

Luziana_Geezer and Mr. Shaverman like this.
  6. Hairy Alaskan

Hairy Alaskan eww da toilet

Thanks for the offer. I have probably 20 years worth of soap and creams so I'm willing to wait until I have the urge to buy.

Omelmad likes this.
  7. Omelmad

Hey I respect that you don't want 15 soaps to chose from. I was just giving you a tip on how to judge a soap by its performance and not decline to buy it because of size.

Luziana_Geezer and Mr. Shaverman like this.
  8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

With so many wonderful soaps out there, I beg of, don't let the size of something as inconsequential to the shave as a soap dish prevent you from trying them!

Luziana_Geezer and Omelmad like this.
  9. Luteplayers

Luteplayers Well-Known Member

You could grate/mash whatever size soap you want into the Tabac bowl when it is empty. I use Old Spice Mugs and once filled with a soap there is no telling that they didn't come that way.

Luziana_Geezer and Omelmad like this.
  10. Luziana_Geezer

I'm a boring guy... and old. That's why my screen name includes _geezer_.

11. Luziana_Geezer

Size matters. At least that's what they've been telling me:D

My goals for joining TSD years ago were, and remain, fairly basic:

1. What's a good razor? I chose the Merkur Progress which was spoken of highly at this site years ago. It has served me well, so thanks to TSD. I've toyed with the idea of trying another razor lately just to be extravagant, but the only one that really piques my interest is the 34C, and I ultimately decided that it wouldn't be that much different from what I already have—based on reports here.

2. What blade(s) give a close, comfortable shave? Again, the TSD consensus back then included many good choices, and I settled on the Personna Red after a brief trial of at least a dozen other brands. The opinions here have changed a little over the years, so I've ordered a few brands in small lots of 5 blades just to see what's what almost 5 years later. Blades don't take up near the space that even a few different soaps in their own dishes do, and they certainly don't cost as much. I'll try these few, then make a decision whether on which blade needs to be used in my Progress. Then I'll order that blade in bulk to save money... sorry to be so boring.

Beyond those two major goals, I, personally, didn't place that much value in the other considerations, mainly soaps and after shaves. At the time, I found a Van Der Hagen shave kit, including brush, deluxe soap and bowl, on a clearance table at my local WalMart for $4.77; there were also a half dozen or so VDH soaps for 50¢ each, so I grabbed all of them. When the last of the soaps I bought was used, I thought about what soap to buy. After checking Walmart again, I found no VDH soaps on the shelves, so I came back here to find out what to do next.

I settled on the Tabac, finding the descriptions here very interesting. So here we are. Sorry to be such a bore to use up one soap before I buy another, but there are circumstances that preclude the extravagance of a dozen soaps; age and poor health are just two of them.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
    Omelmad and Mr. Shaverman like this.
  12. Omelmad

I like that it's a shave for you and now a hobby. I started wetshaving this year(January) and I'm enjoying trying all sorts of different soaps and razors.

Tabac is a very nice soap! Stick with it if you think so too =)

Slow Joe and Luziana_Geezer like this.
  13. Luziana_Geezer

Thanks. I'll think about other soaps in a year or so.

Mr. Shaverman likes this.
  14. Spit_Fire

Spit_Fire Well-Known Member

Another thing to think about size wise, and no there is not a standard it seems. It that the 2 basic sizes are some kind of tub/tin which is larger and the mug size which is smaller(ie to fit in a coffee mug) the VDH soap is mug sized. It's also possible to melt soaps into different containers, or use a cheese grater and press them into a different container size. Some vendors also offer the same soap in 2 sizes.

15. Luziana_Geezer

That sounds like a whole lot of work, Mr. Fire. ;)

16. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

At least 30 seconds to melt or 5 minutes to grate ;)

17. Spit_Fire

Spit_Fire Well-Known Member

I haven't tried the grating method, but I melted a couple glycerin based soaps last week and it was really easy. I did the double boiler method rather than the microwave one, but it still only took about 5 minutes, I melted 1 mug size puck and 1 tub size puck of the same soap into 2 tubs. The advantage here is there is room for my brush in the tub(which I like).

18. Omelmad

The grating method is very easy and fast. Just saying =)

19. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

20. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

May I quote you on that? Oops...just did! :D

Omelmad likes this.