Taking the plunge on a slant

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Badgerstate, Nov 24, 2017.

1. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

Ive read a fair amount on slants and decided to take the plunge and try one out. I managed to pick up a vintage Hoffritz on Ebay for a good price.
    In some ways, I like the idea that the blade comes in at more of a slicing angle and that the twist makes the blade more ridgid. As someone who is somewhat of a pocket knife enthusiast, these things all make sense to me.
    My first shave with the Hoff was pretty brutal. It was good on the WTG and XTG passes but the ATG pass tore me up pretty bad. It gave a very close shave but it also gave me 4-6 weepers each time.
    Im kind of on the fence now whether or not the slant is for me. I keep telling myself that the science of the slant is sound and that its just me but I feel like I get a better shave with less irritation for a traditional straight bar razor.
    I want to love the Hoffritz because its vintage, super cool and the slanted bar just makes it look mean but I also feel like theres other options in my shave den that give me just as close of a shave with less irritation.

Jim99, Keithmax, LOOT and 1 other person like this.
  2. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    You need a light touch, and you need to ride the cap with those slants. They can be brutal, but you can tame them. I still think of them as a bit gimicky, but you can get great shaves with them. I currently have the PAA bakelite slant and a Maggard slant. They both do a fine job.
    paa slant.jpg
    Maggard slant_01.JPG

3. pisces_0

pisces_0 Well-Known Member

:signs011:

I've got an ATT open comb slant on an Edwin Jagger handle, and it took me 2-3 months of on and off use to figure it out. Tore me up something terrible for the first few shaves. After that, each shave got progressively better. Yesterday morning I broke it out after a short hiatus and rode the cap to a 2-pass BBS. WTG then ATG.

I agree slants may not be head and shoulders better than standard heads (as they're often marketed to be) but the thought and engineering behind them win me over every time. Plus, they look pretty damn cool!

ATTPolished.jpg

Jim99 and Jayaruh like this.
  4. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I owned a lot of different slants at one time or another. The only one I really cared for was the ATT S2. They all gave a good shave, but no better than any of my favorite standard design razors. They sure look cool though.

Linuxguile and Jim99 like this.
  5. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Great looking razor.
    [​IMG]

Jim99 likes this.
  6. riprorin

riprorin New Member

I just bought a NOS Lutz slant. It will be my first slant. Looking forward to trying it.

Enrico and Jayaruh like this.
  7. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I've tried 3 slants, Merkur 37, PAA OC Bakelite and a Maggard. All shave pretty well(close) for me with varying degrees of irritation. I think the Merkur was the mildest, but I like the Maggard the best and made it a daily driver.:)

Linuxguile and Jayaruh like this.
  8. Badgerstate

The other day, I ordered a Razorock German 37. I dont know if I will like it any more than the Hoffritz but at $20, its not much of a risk. If I like the German 37, I'll probably pick up a Razorock Wunderbar, as its an all-stainless slant that will last a lifetime.

RaZorBurn123 and 178-bplatoon like this.
  9. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I've got a Merkur 39c "Sledgehammer" and an Ikon 102. I love both of them and the shave as smooth as silk.

Herm

10. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I have a Hoffritz myself. Very nice shave from a very nice-looking razor.
    IMG_7939 copy.jpg

Razorhound and Herm2502 like this.
  11. Badgerstate

After 5 shaves with the Hoff, Im starting to get the hand of it and I now love how it shaves. Ive got a Razorock German 37 on order and after Xmas, Im probably going to buy a Razorock Wunderbar. That way, I can save the milage on my vintage Hoffritz.
    I dont know if the shave is closer with a slant but I do feel like its smoother with a bit less tugging than a straight bar.

12. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

The RazorRock German 37 looks a lot like the Merkur 37/39 C to me except I think its a 3 piece instead of 2. Does it give a mild shave also?
    The RazoRock Wunderbar looks much like a Maggard slant, if it shaves the same it will be a great razor in a much better material.:)

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  13. Badgerstate

I've read that for the German 37, they bought an old Merkur design and modeled the 37 after it. That would explain ifit shaves much like a 37C.

14. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I haven't used a slant in awhile, my favorite is the Wunderbar. The iKon SC102 I think it's that one, is super smooth.

15. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

I own a German 37 and love it. I used it this morning, in fact.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Badgerstate likes this.
  16. Badgerstate

Glad to hear it. Im still waiting on mine. About a week ago, I got an email for Italian Barber, saying they were experiencing high than normal orders and they shipping backlog was 3-5 business days. Hopefully it arrives sometime next week.
    Lately, Ive started to really like the Hoffritz, so Im sure I'll like the German 37 and plan to pick up a Wunderbar. I love the Hoff but its vintage and I dont want to use it as my daily shaver.

17. Straight Arrow

Straight Arrow Active Member

When I first got my 39C I was quite intimidated by its look but upon the first shave I discovered that it is a true gentleman as long as you show it some respect and a light touch. It's a fine shaver.

Herm2502 and Badgerstate like this.
  18. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Yep. It's just big and heavy. A sheep in wolf's clothing. :)

Herm

19. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

I've had a few shaves with the PAA Alpha Ecliptic in bakelite, and I really like it. It is lightweight, but it is very efficient. At $20, you aren't out much $$ if you don't like it.

20. Badgerstate

My German 37 arrived the other day. I like it. Its got good weight with the stainless handle and its basically the same head as a Hoffritz or Merkur 37C/39C, other than the fact its a 3-piece.
    It gives good, close, smooth shaves. I still nick myself a little bit when I go ATG but its getting better.

Herm2502 likes this.