Tallow vs. Glycerin and Vegetable Based Soaps

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Drygulch, Dec 13, 2016.

1. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

As Adam said, good soap is good soap. There are some vegan soaps out there that are beyond slick.

Soap Commander.
    Stubble Trubble.

Two vegan soaps I have that I will put up against anything I have ever tried.

Except Stirling's sheep soaps. They are the best performing soaps I have ever used.

I think a lot of the bias stemmed from before our little wet shaving rebirth got big, "artisan" soaps weren't widely available like today, and people were reviewing soaps from every little arts and crafts fair; soaps made by soapers who had no experience or barely a clue at making shaving soap. Veggie soap doesn't necessarily mean second tier anymore.

Oh and by the way,

LONG LIVE THE SHEEP!

[​IMG]

2. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I'll echo what others have said. It doesn't matter to me if it's tallow or vegetable or glycerin based. Soaps are a personal choice and we all like different varieties. If it works for you then use it!

Soap Commander and TSD Lanolin have incredible post shave feel for me. They aren't tallow soaps.

Stirling is fine, top notch soap and is a winner for me. It's tallow based. There are tons of others, of course.

I just use what I like and what works for me. Interesting thread!

Troy M, Paul Turner, Demidog and 4 others like this.
  3. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I make and use both. Tallow does not a superior soap make.

Drygulch and Demidog like this.
  4. RyX

RyX DoH!

Guilty. Before setting the MachIII aside I didn't know the difference between a bath bar and laundry detergent. Having been influenced and guided by folks using $300 badger brushes I assumed they knew something I didn't. Tallow was touted as Best. Not being vegan in the least I may have bypassed some great lather. While I'll still try new*to*me products, I'm less inclined to base my opinion on the ingredient list.

Troy M, Drygulch and Demidog like this.
  5. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    To clarify, just because I am a "Tallow Man" doesn't mean that I don't own and use vegan soaps. On the contrary, I do. MdC, Dusy and Klar Kabinett, as a matter of fact, I am using exclusively Brutalt Bra these days, vegan. (However, I am developing an irritation on my neck which I suspect is from some sort of Pine oil. :angry019: , if it continues, look out for another PIF.)

6. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

I have a tin of Brutalt Bra Norwegian Woods that set my face a fire. I plan one featuring it in a anniversary/ new years PIF.

Drygulch, Boojum1 and Primotenore like this.
  7. Primotenore

Article Team
    It's killing my face. It sneaks up on you.

Drygulch, Boojum1 and Linuxguile like this.
  8. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

-1.png

9. Primotenore

Article Team
    As a matter of fact, it's been relegated to the shower. Not enough to PIF.
    IMG_9283.JPG
    Indeed, I cannot think of a Tallow-based soap, that I own, which burns my skin. I can name a few vegan soaps that do. Here are three.
    Brutalt Bra
    CB Le Piment de la Vie
    WSP Gaelic Tweed (vegan version)

Troy M, Drygulch and Linuxguile like this.
  10. Sid James

Sid James Well-Known Member

AdP, PannaCrema Nuavia, Phoenix &a Beau, don't care what's in or not in them. My face says they are awesome and I'll listen to that over the internet every day of the week.

11. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Thanks for everyone's replies. I was really just trying to see where the idea had come from that Tallow was better. I also like hearing everyone's experiences with the different soaps. I have PIFed several soaps that didn't agree with my skin, and I believe it was due to citrus EO, rather than the formula.

12. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Can you tell us more about how you do this?

Norcalnewb, RyX and Drygulch like this.
  13. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I'm beginning to give the Stirling Sheeps a serious look.

jimjo1031 and Drygulch like this.
  14. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I gotta agree with the citrus EO part. When I made my first soap, glycerine pour and melt base, I used orange essential oil and a couple of people did say it did bother their skin, others not so. Everyone's skin is different and I agree with most on here, if it performs, I really don't care if it's tallow or glycerine.

Troy M, Linuxguile, Sid James and 2 others like this.
  15. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure that's illegal. :taunt002:

entropy1049, ohbrian, RyX and 5 others like this.
  16. Primotenore

Article Team
    Not in Greece! :happy097: Apologies to our Greek members. ;)

Drygulch, RyX, Keithmax and 2 others like this.
  17. PickledNorthern

Says the guy with all the muttonbusting buckles. ;)

18. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Accepted........... :eatdrink047:

Drygulch, Primotenore and Keithmax like this.
  19. PickledNorthern

If you are thinking about Electric Sheep, get a sample first. This stuff makes Arko seem unscented.

The pine is simply outstanding pine. No more no less.

Drygulch and Linuxguile like this.
  20. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Just do a search for liquid lanolin and there should be allot of options. I just add a couple of drops to bottom of the bowl or scuttle then I just build the lather. Just experiment until you find the right amount for yourself.

Here is what I use:
    NWF618.png