Tallow vs. Glycerin and Vegetable Based Soaps

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Drygulch, Dec 13, 2016.

1. ohbrian

ohbrian Well-Known Member

Lansinoh lanolin nipple cream hahaha I used to use it on my nose when my cpap machine was killing my nostrils. It's more of a light vaseline/cream texture though.

Keithmax likes this.
  2. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

Glycerin soaps seem to get kind of a bad wrap and many prefer tallow, but performance wise, glycerin soaps are not bad at all. I agree with the good soap vs. bad soap, as long as it has good performance and perhaps a decent scent are the main reasons I like a particular soap. No reason to stick with only tallow or vice versa. Variety is the spice of life and there are great soaps out there that are both glycerin based, veggie, or tallow.

On a side note, I wonder what category Soapy Bathman wound be in. It looks like a glycerin based almost translucent with little white dots, however it does have tallow in it as well. Looks similar to the old HTGAM soap formula. Have been a bit confused about this SB soap, the performance seems good so that's a plus.

3. jaxstraww

jaxstraww Well-Known Member

Tallow all the way. Love the way it loads and lathers.

Sent from my S8+ using Tapatalk

4. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

There are good soaps and bad soaps. If you base your purchases strictly on the ingredients list, you'll probably get a number of disappointing soaps.

That said, when I look at my favorite soaps most of them seem to be tallow and thirsty, and seem to garner a lot of complaints about being hard to lather (Williams, Mitchell's, etc.)

But I looked at the ingredients after I decided I liked the soap.

PickledNorthern, Demidog and RyX like this.
  5. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

I used Colgate, and Williams when I started shaving and I got lousy shaves because I didn't know how to lather it. That was back in the eighties, and on into the nineties, until I switched to glycerine soap. It was cheap, and it lathered easily and gave good cushion, and glide. Fast forward to the present, I just learned how to make a good lather with the reformulated Williams, and MWF is my easiest soap to lather. Long story short to learn how a soap lathers you need to spend some time with it. You really can't judge a soap until then.

Clayton

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

6. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

Decided to look up the chemistry of soap

http://chemistry.elmhurst.edu/vchembook/554soap.html

Demidog likes this.
  7. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Apparently you have limited experience with Veg based soaps.......

Demidog likes this.
  8. jaxstraww

jaxstraww Well-Known Member

I've used a number of WSP soaps and currently running a Dr. Jon's Artic Hydra.

Still prefer tallow..........

Sent from my S8+ using Tapatalk

9. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

You have just affirmed my statement :D

10. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

I tend to use the tallow based soaps more during the colder wet weather that we get here in Oregon during the winter. They protect my skin more and I suffer less irritation, both during and after my shave. Vegetable based soaps work really well for me during the spring and summer seasons, especially if they have shea butter in them. The past two weeks I've been using Williams and since I learned how to lather it properly recently it's been working great for me. When I used it previously my skin would dry out and I would have to use a balm with it. Now I'm able to use an alcohol based aftershave with it with no ill effects.

Clayton