@TargetShaving

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by TargetShaving, Mar 4, 2015.

1. TargetShaving

TargetShaving Member

Hello shaving aficionados...I'm the buyer at Target that decides what items get carried on the shelves for consumers to buy. I am well aware that The Shave Den's passion for shaving goes far beyond what Target will likely ever offer, but I'm looking to try and be increasingly relevant for people that are looking for more than a Fusion razor and Edge Shave Gel. In the last year or so I've added a lineup of van der Hagen products (including the double edge razor), Caffeinated Shaving Cream and After Shave from Pacific Shaving Co., and offer about 10 more facial skincare items than years prior. I've started a Twitter account (@TargetShaving) for people to follow, learn about new products, and provide suggestions for new ones. I'd appreciate a follow there or if you aren't a Twitter user and would like to post your thoughts here, that works too. Thanks all.

2. Chuck F

Chuck F Cheesy! Big Curd style

Welcome! Target used to carry Proraso shaving products, and it would great to have them back on your shelves. Also, an inexpensive Omega shaving brush would be a welcome alternative to the Van der Hagen brush you now carry. The Omega S-Brush line would be the way I would go-- good quality, inexpensive, and modern synthetic fibers that don't require the care or break-in of boar or badger. Nivea's traditional lathering shaving creams (in a tube, not a can) would be another good product that'd be easy to add to your shelves, since you already carry other Nivea products.

3. SDK

SDK it's his fault

Would love to see Proraso there as well. Other suggestions from me would include:

Finding a larger company like Merkur and carrying a selection of their DE razors.

Have a wider variety of blades on hand

Maybe some international soaps/creams from the bigger players- Cella, MDC, TOBS, etc...

Thanks for posting. Many here are anxiously awaiting the day when it gets easier to find quality wet shaving products locally...

4. ARGH

ARGH Well-Known Member

MdC might be tough but Taylor of Bond Street creams would be great

Blades for DE. Gillette, Feather, ???

5. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Wow! The power of the Interweb is strong. Target asking us for input...go figure.

@TargetShaving, you've probably opened up a can of worms.

I submit that in my opinion, there are few, if any, manufacturers out there that could supply a behemoth such as Target. Blue Brands (Lucky Tiger) might, as well as a couple of EuroBrands like Nivea or Proraso.

Now, maybe your buying power would better serve by improving and expanding your online presence? I can see it now, "Target Men" or "For Him", on your website. Of course, you'd need to be beyond competitive to pry my business away from my favorite online vendors.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  6. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Welcome and thank you for choosing to visit TSD. We appreciate the "brick and mortar" operations that get involved in providing Traditional shaving products to the mass market.

SDK has an excellent point about finding one or two quality DE razor manufacturers and also linking up with major blade manufacturer or better yet two. Merkur and Edwin Jagger come to mind for the DE razor manufacturers. For the blades, one that is well like and still has a strong reputation in the US is Personna. Now the shaving blades are made in Israel and many in Traditional Shaving call these IP Reds. Red Personna Israeli double edge razor blades that fit all standard double edge razors.

[​IMG]

Rapira out of Russia is another solid maker of high quality blades.

[​IMG]

Site is in Russian but can be translated for contact information.
    http://www.mostochlegmash.ru/contact.html

As to soaps and creams, Proraso is a well established manufacturer of soaps and creams.

Thanks for taking the time to ask us about sources for products for your stores.

7. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

How about selling more than 3 types of men's products? I don't go to Target because when I do I get annoyed. I walk past a LARGE, multi aisle section of women's grooming products to get to the men's section, which is basically deoderant, disposable and electric razors, and canned cream, and usually the shelf space is shared with dental products. If there is some variation of men's products, they tend to be all from the same manufacturer. Like I see Dove Men's Care everywhere now, and I can't help but think that I want these types of products, but not by Dove.

8. idvsego

idvsego Well-Known Member

Adding Proraso back would be a huge step int he right direction. Taylor of Bond street would be very nice too. Some Personna blades shouldnt be tough either but I have never seen blades competitive priced in a brick and mortar. I dont expect miracles from a mass retailer like Target but it would be nice to be able to stop in and grab some Proraso, Tabac, or TOBS along with a pack of blades when on the road or in an emergency. You know, because we all have such close stock that we are one shippign delay away from being out of stuff.

9. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Proraso products
    Florida water is getting hard to find
    and a selection of pinaud products.
    I had to order virgin island bay rum from online, it used to be everywhere.
    I also would like to see the persona (US made) blades.
    Thank you for asking.

10. Token

Token Member

who says it is for ladies only? you can use the lotions, hair curlers, and mascara if you are inclined.

11. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

The signage does.

trey06dmd likes this.
  12. Ceferguson

Ceferguson Well-Known Member

Get better blades, rapira, red personas, maybe some Sputniks a good display with the monkey on the rocket could really boosts sells of those blades

Razorock soaps or proraso soaps

Maybe fatip or pearl safety razors they are cheap and could move

Omega boar brushes they are good and cheap could be some good entry level sales

But you have good blades And soaps I'm more likely to shop at your store than just order off of eBay

13. kurtmill

kurtmill Active Member

I would love a bay rum aftershave.

GDCarrington and Spyder like this.
  14. Roderick

Roderick Well-Known Member

Target should have asked Canadians what they wanted in the store and then put some inventory in. It is good that you are doing this, now maybe Walmart will take note.
    I

15. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Injector blades would be good too.

Radiotube and GDCarrington like this.
  16. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

First, welcome to the Den!

At least one variety of shaving soap for every half dozen varieties of canned goo you carry.
    That should get us the pick of four to five soaps ;).
    Same for shaving cream.

Four or five types of DE blades.
    Two or three types of brushes.
    Two or three types of DE razors.

The biggest thing for me, as you can tell, is just having options.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
    Douglas Carey, GDCarrington and SDK like this.
  17. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    [​IMG]
    Glad that you landed here at TSD.
    I don't Twitter. I always look in the shaving section when I am at Target. I would love to see someone get injector blades back on their shelves along with some decent DE blades at a reasonable price.

18. MarshalArtist

MarshalArtist Psychiatric Help 5¢

Astra SP blades (good for beginners), Wilkinson Sword blades, Origins products which Target used to carry, Omega starter kits (better than Van der Hagen), D.R. Harris, Mitchell's Wool Fat soaps.

19. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Schick and Personna Blades would be more than good. That would be excellent...

... and don't forget GEM SE blades!

20. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

Well, looks like you are getting lots of input! I imagine your options are some what limited, so a small number of items with universal appeal would be great. When Target carried Proraso shave cream that was right on target. Products like the unknown caffeinated shave cream just don't cut it - I bought a tube, tried it one time, and tossed it in the trash - it just didn't measure up. A universal blade like Astra Sp maybe? A Nivea shave cream, since you already carry Nivea products? No exotic products nobody has ever heard of.