Taylor of Old Bond Street

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by Widow's Son, Oct 21, 2011.

1. BassTone

BassTone Well-Known Member

Eton College is quite excellent and I have the matching cologne. My wife loves it and I get compliments when I wear it. Good all year, though it seems to suit warmer months best, but only by a slight margin and this is just a personal feeling on the issue. Also, the lavender is heavenly! :love029: I'm expecting the Avocado from The Shoebox any day now.

2. CHSeifert

CHSeifert Active Member

I feel pretty much like you do.

I only own Truefitt&Hill Sandalwood (the new one released in 2010 I believe) and Truefit&Hill Ultimate Comfortfort shaving cream. Both in my view are better than the 2 TOBS creams I own - Jermyn Street & Avocado.
    The Truefitt&Hill ShaveCreams first of all has more dense and longer lasting lather, with the TOBS I get lather very fast but it just does not hold the lather that well, whereas with the Truefitt&Hill ShaveCream the lather holds its shape throughout the entire pass.

I still think not even Truefitt&Hill matches my 4 overall favourites, when it comes to lather and skin nourishing qualities - Fitjar, Castle Forbes, Penhaligon & Kent.

TOBS also disappointed me a bit when it comes to how well my skin feels after the shave.
    It's nice to have a great scent in a ShaveCream, but frankly it is pretty unimportant and frivolous how well something smell, when compared to how great a ShaveCream holds the lather and nourishes your skin after the shave - and unfortunately I find TOBS shavecreams to lack a bit in these 2 VERY IMPORTANT areas :(

3. CHSeifert

CHSeifert Active Member

You're not alone :)

I also prefer the Truefitt&Hill ShaveCreams to the TOBS by quite some margin !

They hold the lather quality better through a pass and last but not least they seem to nourish and moistens my face better after the shave (I own Truefitt&Hill Sandalwood & Ultimate Comfort)

4. FortWayneShaver

FortWayneShaver There's a tear in my beer

I'm not a sandalwood kind of guy, but the Ultimate Comfort holds some intrigue - I have somewhat sensitive skin. Does the T&F U/C have a scent, or is it pretty close to unscented?

5. CHSeifert

CHSeifert Active Member

The T&F UC has a very weak smell of lavender. Very weak scent.

You need to use more product of this cream compared to other T&F creams, so it's a pretty expensive cream. But it really heals razor burn like no other cream I've tried.

I use it, when I have had a bad shave the last time I shaved.

6. FortWayneShaver

FortWayneShaver There's a tear in my beer

Okay. Thanks!

7. sas71

sas71 Member

Truefitts sandalwood is awesome. in fairness ive only had one other sandalwood product and i believe it was straight sandalwood with nothing else in the mix because it smelled just like burnt wood. needless to say i was turned off on sandalwood til i had some of the Truefitt.

8. ThePossum

ThePossum Member

Also have a tub of T&H 1805 that I use in my cream/soap rotation. Like it very much but find that while it may make a slightly better lather than the TOBS the price difference between the two brands far and away makes up for the difference in lather.

I compare the two to a Buick and a Cadillac. In most ways the Buick gets you to where you want to go in very nice style and comfort. The Caddy will do the same thing with just a bit more style but the cost is significantly higher.

But to each his own. If you are willing to pay the premium price for the T&H then by all means do it and don't look back. For me though I will use both but will use more of the TOBS because of the price difference.

9. CHSeifert

CHSeifert Active Member

The new formula of Truefitt&Hill Sandalwood is very good performing for me, on par with the also new Truefitt&Hill Ultimate Comfortm cream. But the sandalwood scent in the Truefiit is not stright sandalwood, but more of a cologne type sandalwood with a bit of citrus and other elements added to the scent.

If you want straight sandalwood in the more soft edition, get the Aro Of Shaving Sandalwood cream - great stuff, great scent.
    The smokey sandlawood you're talking about is the same scent I have in my DR Harris Marlborough. The Marlborough is a combined scent of Cedar and sandalwood and maye some other small addtions to the scent :)

10. AABCDS

AABCDS Member

I like the Eton College and St. James scents. The scent of Jermyn Street is so faint that it's almost unscented to me. I'm not a fan of the Lemon & Lime and Avocado scents.

11. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

I have only tried a sample of Mr Taylors. I really liked it! Not only was the scent pleasing (though mild) but the quality of the shave cream with being moisturizing, slick, and easy to lather was simply amazing!

12. CHSeifert

CHSeifert Active Member

I think the tub of your TOBS Jermyn Street must have been old/not sealed properly from the factory.

My TOBS Jermyn street ShaveCream has a really wonderful fresh clean scent.

Of all my ShaveCreams the TOBS Jermyn Street is actually my favourite scent in front of Acqua Di Parma, Fitjar Neroli, AOS Sandalwood and Castle Forbes Lime :)
    Okay, forgot my Acca Kappa 1869 Tub version with its wonderful almond/marzipan bakery scent.
    So TOBS Jermyn Street & Acca Kappa 1869 are my two fav scents in my ShaveCream den ;)

13. AABCDS

AABCDS Member

I went and smelled my TOBS creams again. I was mistaken before; the Jermyn Street scent was as strong as the others.

14. troy

troy Member

I like the Avocado...........I don't like a heavy scent

15. CSG

CSG Member

I have a tub of the Sandalwood and while the scent doesn't hit me as very sandalwoody, I really like the product and have ordered a tube of the lavender to give it a try. I've got a sampler pack of GFT creams and think TOBS is certainly equal in performance.

16. CSG

CSG Member

I should follow-up that I received and returned the tube of TOBS lavender. I've also added two Truefitt creams (rose and lime) and a tub of GFT coconut. I don't find any of the three standouts over the other with regards to the quality of the lather and shave but I do find preferring one brand over another for the scent factor. I like the rose T&H more than GFT and TOBS versions but like the sandalwood TOBS more than GFT and T&H even though those two are closer to what I consider a pure sandalwood smell to be.

Bottom line for me is I buy on scent when it comes to the T's. The T&H 1805 and Trafalgar are both on my list. After getting a sample of TOBS avocado, that was removed from the list.

17. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

Tried the 1805 for the 1st time last week. Very nice long lasting lather. Great for shaving...BUT I couldn't wash it down the drain. Hot water; cold water... It took forever to get the used and left over lather down the drain. same problem anyone?

18. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

This morning's shave with TOBS Coconut....
    IMG_1453.JPG

19. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I just recently opened up a tub of TOBS sandalwood that my son bought for me last year. I absolutely love TOBS! The slickness is awesome and I love the post shave feel it leaves. The sandalwood scent is nice, but mild and the cream is easy to lather.

I'll definitely pick up another once this tub is finished.

20. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

I'm with you on this Jim. I will probably always have TOBS in my den

Jim99 likes this.