Taylor of Old Bond Street

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by Adelio, Aug 25, 2015.

1. Adelio

Adelio Active Member

I just got a jar of Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood shaving cream. Two questions: 1) Does bowl lathering work best for a cream? 2) It has a very strong scent. Will it linger like a cologne? Lingering scents are sot of out of style these days.

SHAVEWIZARD420 likes this.
  2. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

1. I think creams work best when face lathering. Soak your brush, allow to drop dry. Add an almond size quantity of cream to the brush. Scrub your face for 45-60 seconds.

2. It will settle down quickly but you might catch a whiff of it later in the day. In an office not do much but when I am outside working in the heat I seem to smell it more.

3. Colonel_K

Colonel_K Well-Known Member

I love the TOBS Sandalwood scent.

Better than any of the other sandalwoods.

I shave in the evening so lingering scent not a problem for me but I wouldn't mind if it followed me throughout the day.

Jasio78 likes this.
  4. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    The sandalwood was not kind to my skin, but I love TOBS. It face lathers like crazy. Happy shaves to you.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  5. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

I prefer to bowl lather creams although they face lather well. As with most TOBS creams they do have powerful scents but don't linger on me at all.

Jostalli likes this.
  6. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

I can't think of any soap or cream that's lingered all that long. There's only one way to find out though if it's too much for you.
    ToBS is a thirsty cream. Whether bowl or face lathering, use more water than with other products.

Jasio78 and Jostalli like this.
  7. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

TOBS is my favorite cream, Sandalwood my favorite scent. I would suggest trying both face and bowl and seeing which one you prefer. I prefer bowl for creams and face for soaps.

Jostalli likes this.
  8. Jostalli

Jostalli Well-Known Member

I bowl lather with Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood cream. In fact I used it this morning. It does not linger long in my opinion.

shoe13950 likes this.
  9. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

I bowl lather as well. Also, I agree that the scent does not linger.

shoe13950 and Jostalli like this.
  10. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

I usually face lather, but you could bowl lather if you want. TOBS is great stuff so you should be able to get a good lather either way

11. Adelio

Adelio Active Member

I used the TOBS this morning. The lather was richer than the lather I get from Proraso, which I really like. This is the first time I've used a cream. Has anybody tried TOBS soap? Is it very different?

Redrock likes this.
  12. GeneralKinetics

GeneralKinetics Well-Known Member

3 words. Everything face lathers. You can literally swirl the tips of the brush in the tub for a couple of rotations and you have enough for a 3 pass shave.

13. theFAT98

theFAT98 Well-Known Member

Only scent i find that lingers is tabac

14. Sir.$-Mad

Sir.$-Mad Well-Known Member

TOBS is also my number one favorite brand. I'd been using the Jeremyn St kind, but I'm now using Sandalwood and it's smells nice. I have a TOBS Sandalwood soap in a wood bowl on the way. Both the soaps and creams lather like crazy!

15. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

With my creams, I use a scuttle exclusively and with a badger brush. The only TOBS in my inventory is Avocado - wonderful scent and great lather. However, I have used TOBS Sandalwood in the past.....a very nice cream. I continue to be amazed at the quick, easy. rich lather the TOBS creams provide. The only other I may compare it to is Cyril Salter... a wonderful cream.

mrchick likes this.
  16. Sir.$-Mad

Sir.$-Mad Well-Known Member

Here's a good example of a bowl lathering with a TOBS shaving cream. This is just a cheap plastic kiddy bowl I picked up at Canadian Tire, but it did a nice job. :)
    [​IMG]

radmit and mrchick like this.
  17. Adelio

Adelio Active Member

Thanks for all the feedback.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2015
  18. radmit

radmit Well-Known Member

I just received my Grapefruit TOBS and took it for a run this morning.

Amazing! The scent is fantastic and the lather is every bit as good as I've heard and read. The scent lingers in the bathroom which is awesome.

Sir.$-Mad and Spud like this.
  19. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

So....I have TOBS Avocado....it is a fantastic cream....wonderful lather....smells great....but does not smell like any avocado I have ever smelled. Does the Grapefruit really smell like a Grapefruit? Or, does it have a nice scent and the usual great TOBS cream performance?

Thanks.................

20. radmit

radmit Well-Known Member

no no, its bang on. to me, its like I just cut a grapefruit open. not fake at all. its awesome

Redrock and Spud like this.