Taylors

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by Bezoar, Nov 18, 2016.

1. Bezoar

Bezoar Active Member

I have two tubs of taylors, the almond and the avocado. The issue is that um, I find them lackluster?

I can tell they are the creightons formula, they behave the same way as the trumpers samples I got, except the sandalwood that was definitely not the same cream as the others.

Meaning, the almond no matter how much I put on my face before face lathering, I am lucky if I can get enough lather out of the brush for a second pass. I have been smearing a tablespoon or better on my wet face before lathering. The avocado does better with half a table spoon, it gives almost enough for a two pass shave. But the avocado smells funny, and the almond scent disappears before I have even finished lathering....

Im curious as to how many others here feel that the Taylors soaps, thought priced well, require the use of extreme amounts of cream in order to shave as well as say, erasmic?

Douglas Carey likes this.
  2. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

Maybe they do better bowl lathering? Or maybe it would work better putting the gob of cream to be worked directly onto the brush first instead of smeared over your face to be picked up?

I bowl lather and right now am using up the last 1/3 of a decade-old tub of TOBS Avocado. I seem to get lots of lather by swirling my brush over the tub, picking up too little cream to notice the drop in the tub level, and then working it up to a couple or three passes worth of lather in my bowl. But when I tried going directly to my face with the same brushload, the lather wasn't worth diddly.

Btw, what is "the creightons formula"?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2016
  3. Bezoar

Bezoar Active Member

trumpers sometime in the last year started making their cream in house according to various forums, as a result it is very different from what was made by creightons which makes the cream base for taylors as well. and I believe harris too.

4. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

I have only one TOBS cream, Eton College, so take my anecdotal evidence with a grain of salt. I have never really had any trouble getting lather from it. I usually just dip my brush tips directly in the tub, so it is definitely less than tablespoon, probably less than a teaspoon. It always seems to lather well for me. I am a face latherer. I certainly wouldn't rate it as my best cream, but it is far from the worst I have tried.

5. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

I'm a bowl lather-er. Use an Omega 6212 brush(Silvertip Badger). I have TOBS Coconut. Almond sized dollop in the bowl, plenty of lather and a great shave.

6. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I got about 98 shaves out of my Taylors Lavender before using it up. I face lather and always had plenty of lather. I have the grapefruit now, but I don't like it as well, so I don't use it much. I've got too many other soaps and creams to do a good comparison now.

7. LaSalle82

LaSalle82 Well-Known Member

I'm a huge TOBS fan and find they have great lather, cushion & protection. I currently have the Avocado (2 or 3 shaves left), Sandalwood, Lavender & Rose and recently finished the Jermyn St. All are great performers for me but like with all things shaving, YMMV.................

8. flaxton

flaxton Active Member

I have no problem with it. I face lather and bowl lather with it.

9. Borderboss

Borderboss Active Member

I've been using TOBS Lavender for a short time, lathering in a scuttle. I use at most a teaspoon of cream, picking it up with the bristles of the brush from the tub. I get a ton of lather, more than enough for a three-pass shave.

10. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I own TOBS sandalwood, avocado, coconut, Eton college, Mr Taylor's, and jermyn street, along with a few samples....I have had no problems whatsoever. I will tell you, however, that they do work better with bowl lathering and light water.

Herm2502, Douglas Carey and Matt0210 like this.
  11. Matt0210

Matt0210 Well-Known Member

I have TOBS Coconut, Peppermint and Sandalwood. I'm a big fan of them. They all smell great and are good performers. It's not the best soap out there but its pretty good. I face lather and have never had a problem building a good 2 pass lather out of it. I only do 2 passes but i get enough lather to do 3 easy. Here's what I do: Soak my brush, get an almond sized dallop, and I put the soap in the middle of the brush, then lather away. I never dip my brush in creams like TOBS because they're real soft and I always end up using the soap too fast.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
  12. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    The Real Shave Co. is Creighton's "in house" shave cream. The Body Shop's Maca Root shave cream is also a Creighton's product.

13. The Wizard

The Wizard Active Member

I've used TOBS for a while and they are more suited bowl lathering in my opinion but also found that since I changed from Badger to a Semogue Boar the results have been far better. The Eton College is also very high on glycerin content compared to others in their range which is possibly why it lathers up better. I never got on with it personally as I found it too sticky and thought the smell was a little too feminine for my likening. Reminded me too much of my wife's moisturiser.

About a month ago I started trying Truffit & Hill and have to say I prefer these and they do lather up better than TOBS. Like whipped ice cream on the brush and smell less 'soapier' too. I've never as yet managed to get a decent face lather with either of these products though to be honest so stick to bowl lathering.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
  14. The Wizard

The Wizard Active Member

I don't know how true this is but I was told that face lathering is a lot more intensive and wearing on the brush as you have to put more pressure on the brush which can cause bristles to be pulled out so it's not good for your brush and shortens it's life.

Can anyone confirm if there's any truth in this?

15. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I have a couple Semogue boar brushes that are several years old that haven't shown any issues whatsoever. I never build a lather in a bowl.
    [​IMG]

Linuxguile and RetLEO-07 like this.
  16. Rib

Rib Well-Known Member

Used TOBS Sandalwood last night with Whipped Dog Silvertip. Soaked the brush but squeezed a good bit of the water out after; almond and a half or so of cream into the brush and went to a bowl........fantastic lather almost instantly!!! Added just a little water to increase volume and wetness to my liking but I was very impressed. Maybe its best to start with very little water?!?

Linuxguile likes this.
  17. ask4Edge

ask4Edge New Member

Creightons no longer owns/makes The Real Shaving Co.; it has been sold to another manufacturer (Swallowfield).

As per Trumper's Head Office (with whom I spoke today), the creams have always been made in house. Not exactly sure what to make of their response, since I’ve always (many years) read that it was made by Creightons.
    (Either the representative is unaware of their history, or, misinformation had been promulgated through the years on shaving fora.)

Just to clarify, Creightons manufactures for StJoL and T&H; but, they no longer do for TOBS or DRH.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  18. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    That would probably explain why RiteAid quit carrying it, at least in my neighborhood.

ask4Edge likes this.
  19. ask4Edge

ask4Edge New Member

Well, spoke directly with Creightons just today, and they confirmed that they still make Trumper’s creams.
    (And they're still the makers of StJoL and T&H.)

20. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

I have to use more than the generally recommended almond-size dollop, but it's not an obscene amount. Are you sure you're getting enough water in the mix?