Teenage peach fuzz shaving advice needed

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by MikoKuch, Oct 5, 2017.

1. MikoKuch

MikoKuch New Member

Hello guys,

I'm 16 and for the past year or so I've been removing the ugly looking dark peach fuzz above my upper lip and around my chin and neck with my dad's rotary electric shaver. But I've been having problems where a day or two after shaving, as the hair starts growing back, I start getting some red pimple-like things in the area that I shaved. They usually go away on their own or if I pop them, they get reduced to a small red stain and dissapear by the next day. I'm assuming they're ingrown hairs because I always go against the grain since going with the grain does not get it as close as I want it.

My question is, is there something I should be applying to the area pre/post shave to prevent this? I clean my face daily and exfoliate once or twice a week. Or is the problem more probably equipment-related? Should I maybe switch to something with a blade like a safety razor and go with the grain?

Thanks in advance.

Maximumsmoke, RyX, AGHisBBS and 2 others like this.
  2. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Shaving Den. When one of my sons, who is now 19,switched to DE razors, he found that both ingrown hairs and acne were significantly reduced. In fact, I think the ingrown hairs were eliminated. Also, the shave cream I purchased for him was great for his skin. You might want to consider trying a Merkur 34C, Edwin EJ89 (or Maggard, which uses the same style razor head) or a vintage Gillette Super Speed and see how you like it. These are fairly easy to use and, with a little practice, will give you a very comfortable shave.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

RyX, AGHisBBS and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  3. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Welcome to the den!

4. GarnerPW

GarnerPW Well-Known Member

Welcome to The Shave Den
    :signs046:

5. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Welcome to The Shave Den!

6. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Welcome to TSD!

7. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the den and to shaving! At this point I'm sure you are aware you body is dealing with changes and breakouts happen so skin care is always a good place to start. As for the razor I tried electric and hated it with a passion it just seemed to pull the hair out.

You probably could find something locally or maybe someone may send you something. Don't need a town but where do you live? US?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

8. RyX

RyX DoH!

Welcome to TSD @MikoKuch. Here's my take on your questions.

This being a Wet Shave Forum you'll get advice that will lead you to our way. A wet shave takes some kind of lather whipped up with a brush from soap or cream and water, while a few folks prefer canned products like Barbasol. Folks toss around terms like cushion, glide, residual. The idea is to make your skin slippery so the razor can move without friction. There is no one best product. Your Mileage May Vary (YMMV) means "I like this product but it might not work for you". There's lots of opinions shared, but you will have to try the products for yourself to know if they work for you. That's the Pre-Shave info.
    Post shave products also vary by users needs. If you nick your skin a styptic pencil, or an alum block help to clot the blood and stop bleeding. They are also antiseptic - stopping infections. Some folks like witch hazel, others prefer an alcohol based aftershave. Again these help to kill bacteria on your face after you just ran a sharp blade around. There are also balms that contain aloe vera, vitamin E, etc. Balms tend to be soothing to abused skin and are relief from Razor Burn.

Can of worms, Sir. Electric shavers and cartridge razors require you to press the tool against your skin to get the job done. Shaving with a Double Edge razor can be an extreme exfoliation event. Unlearning that pressure will let the DE razor do it's job without scraping off your skin - razor burn. So I'd say Yes the problem is equipment related (pressure of razor to face required to get a shave) and it's also technique related. If you should choose to try Wet Shaving you'll use a quality soap to make good lather, and you will reduce your beard without scraping off your skin. I doubt you will need to exfoliate after learning to use a DE razor.

A safety razor, meaning almost any razor that's not a straight razor is what we do here. Straight's happen, too. But you asked about safety so that means guards, bars, combs, etc. These all give something to balance against to keep the blade close against your skin without the danger of an open blade. Using these tools and shaving With The Grain (WTG) gives the majority of the beard reduction with the most comfort. Going Across The Grain (XTG) brings you another level closer. Many shavers get irritation when going Against The Grain (ATG). Not saying you shouldn't, but it takes proper technique to go ATG without irritation. Stretching you skin taunt can help. That can be done by "making shaving faces" Lifting your chin, or shifting your jaw to pull the skin tight, or simply using your off hand to pull your skin tight. This provides a better surface for the razor to pass over - flatter and taunt.

That was a lot of info to try to digest in one sitting. Most of it will be meaningless until you have a face full of lather & a razor in hand. Assuming you have funds to go shopping, that you live in The U.S.A, and you are ready to jump into this - Check out The Shave Of The Day to see the equipment others are using. Or visit The 30 Day Rule / Focus Group (link in my Signature below) where folks are learning to get the best use from their gear.

TLDR; This is your own personal thread right here. A good place to ask questions as all the responses will be in one place. Don't be shy - no such thing as a dumb question!

barbersurgeon and canoeroller like this.
  9. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

hello and welcome, good advice already given

10. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

Hi. Welcome to TSD.

I am a recent convert to DE shaving, and some of my reasons are the issues you raised above.

I started off with a rotary electric travel razor - something cheap. My dad has always shaved with an electric. On my 18th birthday Gillette sent a free mach3 razor handle and blades. I bought a can of gilette foam and have used cartridges ever since. I'm 31 now.

I've always had little spots that appear very quickly and disappear soon after and just assumed this was just my skin. In my second month now using a DE razor and those spots have stopped. I can't believe I hadn't tried something different earlier.

+1. These are good recommendations.

Or a tech. That's where I started.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
    RyX and lightcs1776 like this.
  11. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    High their, @MikoKuch . You are asking good questions. Glad you have joined us.
    zwelcome2.jpg

Maximumsmoke likes this.
  12. canoeroller

canoeroller Well-Known Member

I have a son who is also dealing with peach fuzz on his upper lip. The technique that is working best for him is to wash his hands with the soap he will use on his face before he uses it on his face, and to use a clean cotton cloth to dry his face every time he washes. He has a facial soap, not a body or hand soap for this. He is using a very mild shaving soap when he needs to remove his fuzz, and has an old Gillette Tech (a single blade razor) available as well as a new Mach 3 (triple blade razor). He is still trying to figure out which he likes more. The blades on the razors will exfoliate; he just needs to work on his technique to keep from giving himself razor burn (bumps).

When I was a teenager, I also tried an electric razor, but found that a shave would leave my skin feeling raw. That was the beginning of my switch to wet shaving.

One of the hard parts of learning to shave is that what works for me may not work for you, so any advice has to be taken with a grain of salt, and you will have to do some experimenting to find the best solution for you.

There are plenty of folks here who can offer you very good advice on how to get started and guide you on your way to a more comfortable way to shave.

13. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

The kid posted once and hasn’t been see since. Perhaps he got some cream and a cat ;)

14. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Must have a warm welcome phobia.....Mika...if you can hear/see this.....say something....Everyone here was really happy that you could make the scene...But we can't help, or have fun. or even give a decent hang if you don't respond!

lightcs1776 likes this.
  15. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Welcome. It's been a few years for me but for what it's worth I used to dab my pimples with (my dad's) Skin Bracer to help dry them out.

16. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Welcome!

Spyder likes this.
  17. LuvWetShavin

LuvWetShavin Well-Known Member

I no longer have peach fuzz on my face ... it's now on my head, the joys of getting old

Welcome to TSD

canoeroller, preidy and Spyder like this.