Tell me about Bay Rum soap

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by sas71, Jan 10, 2009.

1. sas71

sas71 Member

i keep reading that the scent is spicy. does that mean its gonna burn like the dickens?

my stache area is sensitive to some chemicals or strong scents but it usually only bothered me the few times i tried using shaving gel and i tried a brushless cream (not sure the name) that did it to.

2. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    Actually, what burns is more of a person by person basis. Spicy might burn for one person, while mint might burn for someone else. It all comes down to out body chemistry.

On a whole, i'd say bay rum is a less irritating scent than others.

3. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Nah, it won't burn, you'll be safe ;)

(unless you're allergic to an ingredient, but that's a different story)

4. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

Klaus is right. It's not so much that a certain flavor will burn you. It's more do you have a sensitivity to certain EO's or FO's? I had a puck of HBS Bay Rum and couldn't use it. The FO tingled and burned. I wasn't overly impressed w/ the scent either yet I am a big fan of BR AS's. If you have sensitivity in your stache area then I would say odds are probably good that you would have a reaction to some Bay Rums.

5. Dr. Mike

Dr. Mike New Member

It does depend on the ingredients, but even then, it is no guarantee. Bay Rum is a wonderful scent. By far, the best smelling one I have come across is the QED Bay Rum. Unfortunately, when I lathered it it burned like the fires of hell. However, I have also tried the TSD Bay Rum, and Tryphon Bay Rum, and they both smelled good too, but didn't burn me.

6. Windwalker

Windwalker New Member

I have been using the Ogallala Bay Rum and Sandelwood and Mama Bears Bay Rum, no problems for me so far. But as the others said, YMMV. I don't know about the other soaps, but Ogallala offers a shaving soap sampler with BR, BR/Sandalwood, BR/Lime & Peppercorns, BR/Sage. I think that I paid about $5+shipping. Although some have said that the Ogallala products do cause a burning when used. I did order their BR bath soap, it did cause a burning, not really bad just enough to know to rinse. However it disappeared after a couple of uses. It seem that if the BR is mixed with something else, the issue goes away. Has anyone else used the Og BR/Sandelwood, I would like to find a cream that smells that good, sorry for the hijack :o PS I am sure that the others have samples available as well!

7. Will

Will Nevermind

Just dont get Pinaud Bay Rum, that stuff burns

Masters is very nice though.

8. Truckman

Truckman New Member

YMMV :D

I just used some today. No burning for me. Awesome scent.

Aside from a Ogallala Bay Rum, Limes, & Peppercorn soap sample (which I love, too), the Pinaud Bay Rum is the only Bay Rum I've smelled. I love it.

9. expatCanuck

expatCanuck New Member

I used Honeybee Spa Sue's Bay Rum this a.m.
    No burn.

My better half's response as I kissed her going out the door was, "Mmmmm. You smell nice."
    And this after 18 years of marriage.

And, FWIW, I can't use Tabac -- irritating as all get-out.
    (That, and I think it just smells nasty.)

10. Wishoot

Wishoot Member

Richard- let me know if I can take that Tabac off your hands.

11. JohnInPeoria

JohnInPeoria Member

I use Bay Rum aftershaves pretty frequently, and just love the scent. My face cannot take the Ogallala Bay Rum soaps, though. If I'm lucky, I feel mildly sunburned after using them.

12. omegapd

omegapd New Member

Got my first Bay Rum to try today in the mail from a homemade soap E-bay vendor. The scent is amazing...very similar to an Old Spice scent, which is one of my favorites. I think this scent is something I'll be looking for from other vendors, so thanks for all the heads up on who to try above.

EW

13. i'm going to be watching this thread for more suggestions. i've never tried bay rum but i'm a bit intregued. i wouldn't be against a little bit of burn every now and then.

14. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

At least for my purposes the burn I referred to was a skin reaction and was not in the least pleasant. Nothing like the love/hate thing we all have w/ splashing on a nice aftershave and riding that burn. No, this was a skin irritation type stinging sensation.

Which you may not even experience; not everyone reacts the same. I don't have particularly sensitive skin, but my face sure didn't like this stuff for some reason. I've had issues w/ other FO's as well. I'm sure that's what the problem is in my case.

15. rrp1501

rrp1501 New Member

I don't think it's the scents or spices that burn anyone. Some may be more sensitive than others, but I believe the biggest culprit is the additives i.e "witch hazel" and alcohol that is used with them. But I ain't no scientist, just speaking from my own personal observations.:cool:

16. azjoe

azjoe New Member

FWIW, I've used TGQ bay rum shaving soap with no burning or irritation.

17. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Achhhhhhh, I must to use again my Pinaud Bay Rum soon, because I love how it smells on me. Madame tells me I smell sort of old man like, but I love that scent.

18. slickskin

slickskin New Member

I would like to find a good bay rum scented shaving cream I seem to find more soaps than creams anyone have any suggestions? I love the way bay rum smells...

19. Truckman

Truckman New Member

Have you tried the TSD cream? You can order it in Bay Rum.

20. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

I'm currently using a Col. Conk SS and Royall Bay Rhum AS combo that I received for Christmas and love both.