Tell me about your favorite aftershave and why you like it.

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Salty Belle, Nov 8, 2016.

1. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

These are my thoughts as well. I like a little bit of alcohol for the purpose of disinfection, but ultimately an aftershave should leave me feeling hydrated. My current favorite splash is Ginger's Garden. It almost goes on like a balm and I believe that witch hazel and aloe juice take precedence over the alcohol.

I also really like a good fragrance that lasts throughout the entire day. I strongly dislike splashes that are only alcohol and water because they completely dry my skin out and they don't have any healing properties whatsoever. I love glass bottles but not if they add significantly to the cost. 4 oz is a good size because I won't be stuck with a splash for years if I don't like the scent or the performance.

2. Dzia Dzia

Dzia Dzia Entitled to whine

I use a combination of creams send lotions (mostly Shea butter) after a witch hazel rub for moisture. I prefer EDT to AS and my favorite among many I use is Geurlain Vetiver. I love Vetiver.

3. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

For an AS I am looking for skin care, not smell. For scent I use perfume colognes. I prefer my AS to not interfere with perfume.

That said with and without alcohol is acceptable and witch hazel is good stuff. The most effective AS I have used are Lucky Tiger and Speick.

4. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

I love Old Spice. I like the slight oiliness of the alcohol base, the crips warm smell, and the way it soothes my face without leaving any lotion-like film.
    Packaging is important. I have an old ceramic bottle with a top I modified so I can easily refill it from.the new OS plastic bottles. You might consider offering both refillable bottles together with less pricy disposable refill packs.

Carbide Mike and Salty Belle like this.
  5. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

I always liked the scent of Angostura bitters and thought it might be diluted to make an interesting AS. I see Bevmo sells all sorts of flavoured bitters now, though I haven't tried them.

6. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

I've never had any luck with any balms. I always get clogged up and have pimples after I use it. I only use alcohol based aftershaves. I prefer the scent to sort of get gone pretty quickly, so I like Ogallala Bay Rum and the Ogallala Limes and Peppercorns. I like a little tingle as well.

7. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

My favorites for "feel" are witch hazel based. My go to is the Ogallala Bay Rum for both scent and performance. I like Lucky Tiger for the same reason.
    I also like some of the alcohol based products like the Fine line. My 2cents is that you need to make something with a lasting scent. I have tried many nice products that smell nice for all of ten minutes. Good luck! Make one of them Sweeney Todd

8. TheFiveO

TheFiveO Well-Known Member

I would rate it a tie between Floid Suave Mentolado and Chiseled Face Sherlock

Carbide Mike likes this.
  9. Huskers

Huskers Member

Tough question.

Depends on the mood really.

I like PC Lime Sec and PC Bay rum in no particular order.

Also liking the Fine American blend more and more.

Carbide Mike, Demidog and Salty Belle like this.
  10. Salty Belle

Salty Belle Well-Known Member

So many great contributions. My head is spinning with ideas and suggestions, but as soon as a few more supplies arrive I'll get the R&D underway...again!

Carbide Mike, Paul Turner and mrchick like this.
  11. Smooth Steve

Smooth Steve Well-Known Member

I enjoy all types of aftershaves, but the 2 qualities that make something stand out to me are 1) Fragrance & 2) Strength - how long it lasts. I generally do not use stand alone colognes, so I like when the fragrance lingers. It is also nice when it matches the soap used to prolong the enjoyment of the shave.

With that said, my absolute favorite is PAA #9. It is different, has a very intriguing scent of gun cleaner, is manly, matches perfect with the same soap, and lasts most if not all day. I also recently acquired PAA Grove and was truly pleasantly surprised at the scent since it do not match what my expectations were, but smells fabulous. Although new to me, Grove has to be my second favorite.

For a basic splash. nothing is better to me then Clubman Pinaud aftershave.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  12. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I use both a homemade aftershave splash and balm. There's no magic to these and unlike soapmaking it takes little effort. For aftershave I use a witch hazel base then add according to mood. Currently mango, clove, and tea oils (a wee bit of pulverized aspirin there too) are my fave additions. No alcohol. Splash and balm serve different purposes so I do both.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
    Carbide Mike likes this.
  13. DabblinRazors

DabblinRazors Well-Known Member

In an aftershave splash, I very much like something that leaves my face feeling great and has a good, lasting fragrance with some sillage. I'm also fond of unique, masculine fragrances, but periodically reach for something more balanced as well. For the vessel, I very much prefer the curved 4 oz glass flask bottles with an appropriate orifice reducer; I've never seen one of them mated with a sprayer, but that is intriguing. Larger sizes might be nice if it was a greater value, but the 4 oz size in generally in the price range that one doesn't mind trying it if samples are not available. A different container might be necessary for the larger size as I am visualizing shaking some aftershave splash from a pint-size liquor bottle.

Some of the ingredients commonly found in my favorite aftershave splashes include: Witch Hazel, Alcohol, Menthol, Vitamin B5 Pro, and Aloe Vera. Although some of the products I've used contain glycerin, I tend to shy away from it because I am very much allergic to soy and, as I understand it, a lot of glycerin is made from soy. In like manner, I avoid anything with almond oil or wheat (and other grains) because I am very much allergic to them, too.

I hope this is helpful.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  14. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Please make one with enough menthol to induce tears of joy and/or paralyze a gila monster. All the rest is negotiable and up to you. Some of us are crazy like that.

This might seem like a joke, but it's not. ☺

Carbide Mike and Drygulch like this.
  15. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

I like every one of B&M Tonique splashes. Glass bottles, 4 oz, alcohol based but not too much, just enough sting and plenty of soothing ingredients to make the face feel soft.

I also enjoy Chatillon Lux alcohol based splashes. Plenty of botanicals and just enough burn.

Old school splashes like Pinaud don't cut it for me. Nothing there to sooth. Just alcohol, stench, and a little glycerin.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Carbide Mike and Demidog like this.
  16. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

I love Sanex aftershave balm. Very soothing, and almost scent free. Unfortunately it was discontinued in 2014, and I am down to my last bottle :(

17. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I have one balm, and 16 alcohol based splashes. I like about medium menthol, long lasting scent, and a skin softening post shave feel. The ones that are straight alcohol and fragrance can be too drying.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  18. Thalasos

Thalasos Active Member

Recently started with after-balm from Weleda and is my first option due to the number of active ingredients gathered within its beautiful blue glass okd style bottle. I've never had the chance to know something like this before.
    Sometimes I prefer just alcohol and weird scent, choosing Florida Water as my after.
    When menthol knock my brain desire, Floid MV does the job.
    For those shaves that you have to care the skin a little more, Bulldog balm is my option.
    Also own Pitralon swiss and some others, but resting most of the time outside my scope.

Enviado desde mi XT1032 mediante Tapatalk

Carbide Mike likes this.
  19. pbrmhl

pbrmhl Well-Known Member

I agree with the PAA comments. I own ten PAA aftershaves, and they all have great scents and longevity. There's a bit of common DNA throughout the line, and they all have quality ingredients that include alum, rose water, glycerin, or other magic stuff. I love them all: Boozy Barbershop, The Beach, Bay Rum, Magi, Tombstone, Ciderhouse 5, Sangre de Drago, Al Fin and, especially, Cavendish and Sk8shop. They're a bit pricey, but I don't need huge splashes like I do with Clubman, Acqua Velva, Skin Bracer, etc.

There have been a bunch of other great suggestions. Great advice all round.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  20. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

:signs011: And if I were allowed a second it would be Myrsol F/Extra.

Primotenore likes this.