Test Driving the Parker Variant

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Jayaruh, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    @Str8on2 offered his Parker Variant for me to test drive. He had two, and I had admired one in a SOTD post and asked how he liked it. Very generously, he sent me the black handle Parker Variant. I was impressed with it right out of the box. The first thing I noticed was that it was a heavy weight (110g, almost 4 oz.). It has a nice long handle, 4 inches, that is of significant circumference with very nice knurling. It is a two piece razor with the cap and stem separating from the main unit for loading the blade. The numbers on the knob seem to be for show. With the knob turned all the way down, it reads 3 which would be the mildest. I didn't have my glasses on for my first shave, so I didn't know where it was set until after I finished. I had turned it up to a 2, so I had cranked it past 3, 4, 5, 1, and then to 2 for my shave. I will go higher tomorrow, but I got a very satisfying shave on the setting of 2. I used a vintage Wilkinson Sword blade which did a fine job of reducing my beard with no irritation, nicks, or cuts.
    IMG_3612.JPG
    IMG_3613.JPG IMG_3614.JPG IMG_3615.JPG IMG_3616.JPG IMG_3617.JPG

Here is my setup for the first shave with the Parker Variant.
    [​IMG]
    First Shave with Parker Variant
    [​IMG]

Dove Men Face Wash
    L'OCCITANE Cade Shaving Soap
    Bunny B-400 Boar
    Parker Variant
    Wilkinson Sword Stainless
    CWR, Asma Alum Block
    Thayer's Lemon WH
    Pinaud Clubman

The L'OCCITANE Cade Shaving Soap face-lathered well with my Bunny B-400 Boar brush. I did two passes the Parker Variant razor and Wilkinson Sword Stainless blade, and I ended up with a close, comfortable shave. After a cold water rinse and alum block, I finished off with Thayer's Lemon WH and then Pinaud Clubman AS. I am clean, smooth, and refreshed...

RyX, wristwatchb, clint64 and 8 others like this.
  2. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

With the base number 3, you likely have the top plate mis-aligned with the bottom plate. If the notches on the two plates are lined up and the base number is still not one, you may have a mis-stamped top plate -- my first one was mis-stamped. If that's the case, you can try reinstalling the top plate with the notches on opposite sides. The razor should then home in on 1.

It makes a huge difference in how the razor shaves, as well. Howie, at SSR, sent me a new razor that aligned properly and let me keep the old one. The old one works just as well as the new one with the correct notching.

My Variant ousted my Futur, which I used exclusively for over 6 years. It's a terrific razor -- my favorite ever. Though it may have to share time with my new Supply SE.

3. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    Thank you very much for your input. I indeed had the top plate 180 degrees out of sync. After I turned it around, the knob cranked down to +. Then I moved it up to where I shaved this morning which turned out to be 4.5. I have never shaved with a Futur. They seemed to be just too big and bulky for my taste. This one however may win me over. I really like it right off from the first shave. I have it slated for tomorrow with the Wilkie and then for M-F of next week using the Kai Stainless blade.

4. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    I had not noticed the notches on the razor, but they are there for a purpose. If you can see on my picture I took before, the notch on the top plate was on the wrong side. I rotated the top plate 180 degrees and the notches align perfectly. The dial then goes to the + and all is well. I will start out tomorrow on 5 and maybe up it from there.
    IMG_3619.jpg

5. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Love my Variant! I have to pretty much force myself to use anything else. So easy to use and great shaves every time. It's a keeper for sure

6. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

Great review, including the assembly tip with photos! I am telling myself I don't need any more razors but some of the new offerings are making it hard to listen to me...

7. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

It easy rivals my beloved progress. In time they may be equal, right from jump street it delivers a great smooth shave. Familiarity being the progress' only edge.
    I find the 180 thing works, but I normally just assemble to tight, then count up notches to 3.5 or 4.
    Definitely a nice razor.

8. DesertTime

4.5 is pretty aggressive, though the razor can be set to about 11. Once you pass 5 and the +, the one then is actually 6, and so on. Basically, the setting is continuous until the top plate disengages. It can get crazy aggressive. I set mine between 3 and 3 1/2, depending on beard growth and mood. But I trade off between efficiency and comfort.

Jayaruh likes this.
  9. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    I will verify tomorrow, but I didn't think it aggressive at all. Perhaps I have great technique. I will check in after tomorrow's shave.

RyX and PanChango like this.
  10. DesertTime

did you try it after it was properly aligned? Also, if you shave with a straight, you're more used to feel of blade against skin than I am. I'm a sissy when it comes to aggressive razors.

Jayaruh likes this.
  11. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    [​IMG]
    Second Shave with Parker Variant
    [​IMG]

Dove Men Face Wash
    Razorock Classic Shaving Soap
    Bunny B-400 Boar
    Parker Variant
    Wilkinson Sword Stainless
    CWR, Asma Alum Block
    Thayer's Lemon WH
    Pinaud Clubman

The Razorock Classic Shaving Soap face-lathered well with my Bunny B-400 Boar brush. I did two passes the Parker Variant razor and Wilkinson Sword blade on 4. I was a bit over confident, and it bit me on my chin. I ended up with a close, comfortable shave. After a cold water rinse and alum block, I finished off with Thayer's Lemon WH and then Pinaud Clubman AS. I am clean, smooth, and refreshed... This weekend is Saturday with my Wade & Butcher Straight and Sunday SE with my Gem Lather Catcher. I will be back with the Variant Monday.