Thanksgiving Dinner

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by swarden43, Nov 8, 2016.

1. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Just curious...

Do you keep it traditional with the likes of turkey, sweet potatoes, cranberry sauce and pumpkin pie? Football, too, of course.

We're pretty traditional at our house. How 'bout you?

Kizurra likes this.
  2. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I love everything that surrounds the Turkey. :eatdrink020:

Kizurra likes this.
  3. simms623

simms623 Well-Known Member

Don't forget the mashed taters... traditional here as well.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab using Tapatalk

Kizurra likes this.
  4. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

We do traditional, too.

simms623 likes this.
  5. Dzia Dzia

Dzia Dzia Entitled to whine

Traditional here after we serve the elderly at the church.

simms623 likes this.
  6. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I have in the past, but I am volunteering in the morning, will be cooking for two people this year, and have to work on Friday. I don't really want to spend a few hours cooking an over abundance of food that wont be eaten. I splurged and got a prime rib-eye steak for this year. I will fire up the grill and roast some vegetables with it.

Dzia Dzia and simms623 like this.
  7. RyX

RyX DoH!

Family gathering at my parents home this year. Both roasted and smoked turkeys. Mom always makes cornbread dressing. Great with dad's giblet gravy - chunks of meat and sliced boiled eggs floating on top.

simms623 likes this.
  8. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    We keep it pretty traditional, too. We try to get all the family together. They are from three different states now, so it is an effort. There are seventeen of us now. Lots to be thankful for.

Dzia Dzia and RyX like this.
  9. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Very traditional Thanksgiving dinner for my family, we go over to my in-laws. Always a good time with family.

simms623 likes this.
  10. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Traditional here too! Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday, a time for family, good times and reflection.

simms623 likes this.
  11. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

I am traditional too. It is just me, but I still get a 20 lb. turkey and roast it with all the trimmings. Lots of great leftovers.............

Can't beat good home made turkey gravy!

simms623 likes this.
  12. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

I'm fixed in my ways. I like (and always will) the traditional Thanksgiving day dinner. The only day of the year I can get away with walking around with my pants top button undone.

Bobcat likes this.
  13. Huskers

Huskers Member

yessir.

Usually turkey, ham, dinner rolls, mashed taters and gravy, corn, green beans, stuffing, sweet taters, wine, beer and pie.............lots and lots of pie.

Football too!

Bobcat likes this.
  14. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Traditional Thanksgiving Turkey dinner with all the trimmings.
    Since my youngest was diagnosed with Celiac seven years ago, we've been as gluten-free household so making a quality bread stuffing took some experimentation.
    My wife bakes fresh homemade pumpkin and apple pies (GF crusts).

Bobcat likes this.
  15. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

While we like the traditional Thanksgiving turkey feast, it is saved for Christmas. I'm the designated turkey roaster of the clan.
    Thanksgiving dinner for us is a steak dinner at a "nice" place.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  16. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

It kind of depends on the year. My wife is a nurse, and holiday weekends often revolve around that. Invariably she will work either Christmas or Thanksgiving, but not both. We do the giant feast on the holiday she has off, and do a simpler prime rib dinner on the one she works. I do all the cooking either way, but it just makes for a less hectic day if the meal is kept simpler.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

17. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

Turkey Day is all about tradition. The day before I make the cranberry sauce (I use orange juice to give it that extra flavor) so it can set overnight. Have a light breakfast in the morning and then make the pumpkin pie. Stuff (bread stuffing with butter, mushrooms, chopped onion, garlic, and diced turkey liver) the turkey, rub it with butter, kosher salt and fresh ground pepper. Put in the oven around 11 a.m. at 325 deg F. Lay a piece of foil on top to prevent browning too soon. Baste the turkey several times with additional butter and the juices as they form on the bottom of the pan. Remove the foil for the last hour or so to allow final browning. Pull the turkey when it hits 180 deg F. Let sit for 30 minutes covered with foil. While the turkey is resting - finish making the mash potatoes, sweet potatoes and the gravy (from the pan dripping). We always eat around 5 p.m. on Turkey Day. Of course football is on all day. A bit of scotch or high end bourbon may make an appearance during the afternoon while everything is cooking. Oh yea - around 8 p.m. go back and grab another hunk of turkey. Can't wait!

swarden43 and PickledNorthern like this.
  18. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Also @swarden43

We lean non-traditional. It's different every year.

This year Mrs Samurai and myself are going to a backyard pig roast held by some friends. It's our first year alone as a couple at Thanksgiving. Our families are in Alabama, Michigan and New York, USA and we live in Denver. In Denver, many people are a long way from home, and these "family for a day with friends" type gatherings are very common.

The host couple are both from the Caribbean, he's from Puerto Rico, she was born in Cuba. So in other words, if you don't hear from me by Saturday, the mofongo, roast pig and black beans did me in. But I died happy.

Know this.