the 1907 valet auto strop

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by D.irving79, Mar 15, 2009.

1. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

just got this in the other day and would like to share with the group. this particular model is canadian but still, this is the first design that was put out.

[​IMG]

yes, mine has a huge crack running up the handle, but the square portion is solid, so its contained. the early handles were mostly hollow.

[​IMG]

a side view of the head. notice the comb release switch; it actually pushes IN to release the comb guard.

[​IMG]

a picture with the comb guard RELEASED. notice how it is pushed away from the blade rather than down like the later models.

[​IMG]

this is what it looks like without the blade. the button pushes the comb guard out. they are one piece with a spring mechanism.

[​IMG]

same as above but with the comb guard closed.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

serial number is on the base of the handle.

Douglas Carey likes this.
  2. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Very cool. I hadn't seen one of these before.

3. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Very nice and informative...Dave you get alot of respect from me for using some of these old razors. I think they are very interesting, and I have toyed with the idea of picking one up, but some of them also look like medieval torture devices.

4. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

yeah i like this model a lot. i REALLY want to find one in good condition now though.

the razors i use are just this: all bark and no bite. the look like something that makes the electirc chair look like an outhouse, but once you shave with them they really are great :)

5. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Very nice Dave... veddy veddy nice.

6. Truckman

Truckman New Member

Yeah, it does kind of look like something out of the Saw movies....creepy. But I'd still give it a try... :D

Thanks for the cool pics Dave. :happy088

7. wizard

wizard New Member

Does anyone out there in Razorland :happy102 know when they started making them? One of the Auto Strop that I have (My Oldest) looks very similar to this one. It is the push button also, not the lever type. Not a Canada type though. It shows 2 pat dates on it May 10, 04 / July 12, 04 on the bottom. On the inside says British Patented 1904 No.10740 / 1907 No.15230. On the opposite side it says Germany D.R.P. No.172055 / No.210977. Then between the two patented numbers it Says Brevete S.G.D.G. France. The G letters are hard to make out I could be wrong about them & it could be a O or a C instead? There is more writing but I'm sure it not that important to know. The stem is a little different as it has a ring on the bottom & the serial number reads from bottom to top 400365. It was the 3rd Razor I bought to use off the bay. I had to clean it up as it was black, cause it was real silver plated. It came in what I think was the original box made out of wood but it was in poor shape.
    I guess this is a lot more information that's not really needed for what might be a simple question about when the Co. started making razors. I've had a real interest in the Auto Strop razors. I've only seen this type of single edge blade from Auto Strop & if they started with this model then the May 10, 1904 date would be about the beginning???

Thanks For Your Time, Larry

8. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

yours sounds like the first model they put into major mass production.

auto strop had a few prototypes in 1904 and came out with their first "acceptable" design the same year. i THINK production started the following year.

9. Truckman

Truckman New Member

:signs154 oh, no, wait....wrong smilie.........

[​IMG]

10. riffin

riffin Active Member

The square shank is rare too. Here is an article by Gio about fixing a Gillette three piece with a crack like that. Maybe you can give it a shot.

11. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

thanks. i think if i get one in great condition ill try it on this one.

12. RocketMan

RocketMan Active Member

That is a really nifty razor. I am definately going to keep my eyes open for one. It almost looks like the name and such under the head was hand cut.

How many different styles/models of the Valet were there? Does anybody know? I am wondering what a 'complete collection' might look like for these razors. I am only aware of about 3-4 different ones but would love to know the scoop! I think these are vastly underappreciated razors.

13. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Here is mine. It used to belong to my grandpa.

Attached Files:

14. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

in terms of sets there was around 45-50.

youd better tell this person to stop using that picture then :)

15. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Haaaa, so he uses......big deal........

16. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

i got your back man ;)

17. wizard

wizard New Member

Sorry :o I didn't post any pics. It was late when I came across this thread. I'd love to share some with you. I'm no much of a photographer but here ya go...

Attached Files:

18. wizard

wizard New Member

Nice! I love the box it came in. I think a razor with history is so much better then one bought off the bay! I wish I would of been able to get one from my grandpa...

Best Of Times, Larry

19. Truckman

Truckman New Member

Nice pics wizard! Thanks for sharing :happy088

20. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

nice :)