the 1907 valet auto strop

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by D.irving79, Mar 15, 2009.

1. RocketMan

RocketMan Active Member

45-50 sets. Ouch. Do you know how many patented razors they made? Out of those 45-50 sets there would be how many different actual razors do you think? Is there a short list of say, the top 5 actual razors themselves? Better yet, do you know of a good online collection I could go peek at?

(I finally have one coming, but it is an NOS model C. I still won't have one to shave with :( But I shall persevere!)

thnx -

2. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

25 maybe? maybe a couple more.

www.stropper.com has a great catalouge of auto strops.

the short list is basically the earliest ones. the later ones were as mass produced as any superspeed or tech.

3. RocketMan

RocketMan Active Member

Thanks as always Dave! The stropper site is great. There indeed are a lot of models and that site helps to get a sense of where they all fit in.

I guess I have my work cut out for me!

4. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

yeah there are more models than most people think. they were big sellers in their day and after using them with actual valet blades i can see why. most people (myself at one point) joke about them always being in set lots of razors on ebay, but they were as plentifully purchased as your average SS at one time. they were part of gillette after all at one time ;)

5. Truckman

Truckman New Member

I had no idea they were that prolific. Nor did I know they were part of Gillette at one point...thanks guys!

6. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

want prolific? read this article. a lot to wrap your head around.

7. OneRand

OneRand New Member

20mil in those days, yikes

8. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

in todays money: $251,724,688.13

9. ferroburak

ferroburak New Member

Thanks for the info Dave.