The $ 2 dollar DIY challenge

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Carbide Mike, Feb 20, 2017.

?

Possible entries

1. Shavette

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  2. Hand tied knot

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  3. Brush handle

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  4. DE razor handle

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  5. Razor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Soap

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  8. Aftershave/Fragrance

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Mug/Bowl

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  10. Razor/Brush Stand.

4 vote(s)
    36.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

I will be posting the steps of making the brush and TTO so everyone can have a idea how a fun and rewarding experience making your own stuff can be , and requires nothing except stuff lying around, ingenuity , and some spare time ! :) Thank you everyone for participating, and hopefully more members will enter. Remember, you can enter as many times as you like ,just anty up to the till for the winner. :)

Keithmax, Jayaruh, AGHisBBS and 3 others like this.
  2. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

I like the name " Woody ". It reflects my favorite bourbon, Woodford Reserve. Here are some pictures of the knot. Any one interested, I used a 4 inch Dollar store paintbrush. It left me with a huge knot. 32 mm and 4 inches long. A 3 Inch paint brush would of been perfect. Just finishing up the shaping and will be mixing up hot glue with nail polish and using the bottle as a mold. Caution, wear safety glasses when trimming and soak it in water to avoid floating dust. !

Keithmax, Jayaruh, macaronus and 2 others like this.
  3. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

The knot. KIMG0040.jpg KIMG0039.jpg

jimjo1031, Keithmax, Jayaruh and 4 others like this.
  4. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

Removing some bristles to get a 20 mm knot.

5. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

I LIVED I LIVED[​IMG][​IMG]

I got home and have to give the paperclip single a go. I did 3 full passes. I nicked myself 3 times on the first pass. I caught the edge of the blade.

For passes 2 and 3 I readjusted my grip. I really choked up on the razor. This fixed my problem. Passes 2 and 3 XTG ATG respectively.

I was expecting this to be a really noisy shave. Not to loud. Finding the angle was not to hard. The cap is so smooth that it was hard to feel it. So I depended on feeling the actual blade for the angle.

I finished with a good DFS. I had to rinse the razor every 2 strokes. It will be better if it has cutouts on the wood to let the lather pass thru.

All in all a great shave for a .55 razor. I am going to make some out of plastic at work. That way I can add the lather clearance slots.

I will also use a 2" carriage bolt instead of 4".

Fun shave

Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BamaT, Micho-Mike, Screwtape and 11 others like this.
  6. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

A shave worthy of a 30 Day Recognition Certificate. If they existed.

7. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

Sweet ! :)

Jayaruh and twhite like this.
  8. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

May be entering the "Nick Proof" shavette I promised the Dark side a while ago. I always liked the shape of the beard combs, and needed a break from the wood TTO. Needs a little more work. KIMG0045.jpg

macaronus, jimjo1031, RyX and 5 others like this.
  9. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

Will be posting pictures of brush. It was a learning experience and I still believe that much is left, and not used in the brush knot making process. From density, to grouping, different patterns for bristles, etc. Wish someone would get into customizable knots.

10. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Any updates on your entries guys? Lets keep this rolling.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  11. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

A homemade shave stand that cost literally pennies on the dollar - it came from my wood pile at the back of the house. The wood is Spaulted Maple. I made it specifically for my Romera Rustic Chubby.

BrushStand.JPG

BamaT, Deeter, Screwtape and 16 others like this.
  12. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

That is Stunning. Way to go.

Carbide Mike, Demidog and Redrock like this.
  13. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Wow. Very nice work. I am impressed.

It compliments your brush nicely.

Carbide Mike, Demidog and twhite like this.
  14. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Ed, I love what you did with that chunk of wood.

Carbide Mike, Demidog and twhite like this.
  15. Redrock

Thanks for the kind comments. I was lucky to make this find. The piece was large enough so I was able to make this one piece. I used my band saw to make the initial cut/shape and then wood chisels and lots of sanding to complete the project. I finished it with Watco Danish Finishing Oil. Also, the Romera is a very nice brush. The knot is Manchurian badger - good for both scuttle and face lathering.

16. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

Due to a family emergency, I am extending the deadline till the last day of April. Hopefully the new deadline will create more entries. I am dealing to a tragedy . A fire burned down my family's apartment house in another state and I am inundated with displaced tenants, and the fire inspectors . I hope everyone understands. Thank you.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
  17. Redrock

I believe I can speak for all of us. Take care of business.....this can certainly wait. Also, hope the family involved in the fire is okay and that not all was lost.

macaronus, RyX, Carbide Mike and 3 others like this.
  18. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    Here is another entry. It's a two-bit boar. I had an old Semogue 1305 knot lying around and some pvc pipe. I cut the pvc and whittled out the end so the knot would fit. I used hot glue to glue in the knot, and I sealed the end with a twenty-five cent piece. So it is worth at least twenty-five cents. I don't know how it will hold up, but I will put it through a test lathering this afternoon. Stay tuned.

JR2dol_06.jpg
    JR2dol_07.jpg

JR2dol_01.jpg JR2dol_02.jpg JR2dol_03.jpg JR2dol_04.jpg JR2dol_05.jpg JR2dol_06.jpg JR2dol_07.jpg

BamaT, Screwtape, macaronus and 7 others like this.
  19. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    Well, guys, I lathered it up and it worked like a champ. I used Soap Commander Renewal and my new Turkish shaving cup.

Getting ready to go.
    JR2dol_08.jpg

Loaded the brush for 30 seconds. JR2dol_09.jpg

Lathered a bit and go this. JR2dol_10.jpg

Lathered a bit more and got this. JR2dol_12.jpg

All rinsed out and ready to rest. JR2dol_13.jpg

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
    BamaT, RyX, Carbide Mike and 4 others like this.
  20. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Absolutely understood. Take care of business.

Carbide Mike and Jayaruh like this.