The 2 very best DE razors available?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Zen Master Kool-Aid, Apr 22, 2009.

1. I have, and I absolutely adore, my Feather AC DX non-folding. You can't use pressure when shaving with it or you will butcher yourself, but that razor gives one hell of a close shave.

A person from accross the webernet posted pictures of himself on his razor shaving board after using the Feather AC and he was a mess. This is a person who has used a good number of shaving implements and he gave himself an old-fashioned blood letting.
    If you scroll down to about post #7 of this thread, you can witness photos of the carnage.

A very light touch and a very, very slight angle is sound advice for the use of this thing. But the reward for using it properly is BBS every time.

2. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

Oh wow.. I haven't seen results like that in a LONG time.. that looked like it stung something FIERCE.

I have a pack of Pro and Super Pro blades on the way with the AC DX, so hopefully in 2 weeks or so I'll have it in my hands and I can give it a try. I have already heard about the 'Feather trick' about how the razor basically takes angle into account by design so you don't need to find the angle so much yourself, just lay it flat and go.

3. For the record, I basically followed that advice and I got a great shave on day 1. Along with making sure my strokes weren't too long.

And I only use the Supers. I haven't tried the others.

4. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

So far it sounds like the Supers are 'the best' but I figured I should give a fair chance to the normal Pros too. However I will stay FAR FAR away from any of the 'Guard' blades.

5. Yea, I haven't heard good things about their "safety" blades. They're more expensive too.

6. boyextraordinare

boyextraordinare New Member

Dorco 6-Blade, followed closely by the Fusion Power.

7. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

BOO Cartridge.. That is my opinion anyway. Plus the OP says DE razors.:D

8. Richmondesi

Richmondesi Active Member

If I could only have two DE razors, I would choose my Tech fancy handle and my Tech fat handle.:D

My Techs with a Feather blade are so easy, and the shaves are just incredible. But as Burnwood is so fond of saying, "YMMV" :laugh042

9. I respect Burnwood's wisdom, but my mileage says that a Tech with a Feather is a flat out awesome shave. If wet-shaving was an omlette, a Tech with a Feather would be the eggs.
    I keep them on hand and I'm beginning to re-think my 2 DE rule. I really want a slant but I'm not willing to give up my Mergress or my Tech.

And I'm starting to think about a SE...

10. Justin Low

Justin Low Member

The Slant didn't do it for me. Neither did any of the vintage Gillettes that I've tried (Fatboy, Slim, 40s SS). I have a red tip SS that I've not tried yet.

My favorite razor at the moment is a Merkur 38C. Shaves better than the 34C and 11C.

I have a Futur on the way, so that might make the mix more interesting.

11. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Let me know if you want to try a SE..I will gladly loan you one and PIF some blades to try. I could get it out middle to late next week if you want.

12. I might just take you up on that, wabbit!

I'll send a PM tonight. :D

13. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

'AIGHT

14. ctakim

ctakim Member

A Red Tip and a 40s Aristocrat...no wait a Slim Adjustable and a New, no my Fat Boy and a Super Adjustable...arrrgh! This is an impossible question to answer!!