The 500 Club

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Weasel640, Jan 21, 2018.

1. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

There is a thread in the Brush section for the 400 Club. So I figured I'd start one in the Safety Razor section for the 5oo Club.

My first shave with an Injector at that. Not to bad, relatively smooth, couple nicks here and there but not the fault of the Razor.

The Schick Golden '500' Razor!

IMG_20180121_175438_503.jpg

Vlasta, AGHisBBS, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  2. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I have a 500. I found the handle a bit long, so I made it shorter.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Weasel640

Whoa that is much shorter. The length of the handle did not bother me. But I have only been Wet Shaving with Safety Razors for a little over a year. Also my main go to is a Merkur 23C, and that has a longer handle than some.

Have you looked at the Eversharp-Schick Hydro Magic? I think it's the same head but the Handle is closer to the length that you selected, but a little thicker to balance it better. I also picked this one up (below), but need to clean it up before I use it.
    Hydro.jpg

Jayaruh and cliffb599 like this.
  4. RyX

RyX DoH!

I enjoy my 500. Shaves well with Chick blades, a lather whipped up using a @Jayaruh brush, and vintage Shulton Old Spice.
    SOTD 12032017.png

Jayaruh, Weasel640 and AGHisBBS like this.
  5. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    Yeah, I have one of those Eversharp-Schick Hydro Magics. I really like it. It has a great feel.

jwr3265 likes this.
  6. Weasel640

Anyone know the Date range these '500's were produced? Were there any design changes, etc? What could be learned from the packaging it came in? Mine came new in a Jewel Case with 8 Eversharp-Schick Injector Blades "with Krona Edge". Are these New Old Stock blades any good?
    schick3.jpg schick4.jpg

Fluffyskiador and RyX like this.
  7. RyX

RyX DoH!

Start here.
    Type J 1958 - 1964.

8. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

:signs011:

RyX likes this.
  9. Weasel640

Thanks

So I guess there is no way to tell exactly what year these Schicks were made like on most Gillettes... Also the old stock blade like these Kronas are they ok to use?

That site looks somewhat dated (February 02, 2005), and has a lot of dead links, like it is no longer being maintained. Are there any other good sources of info out there for these?

Also according to the sites timeline; There is no record of the Golden '500' being available in a Jewel Case with with Krona blades. According to the site the Jewel Case were only used for the Silver '500'. I'll try emailing them and see what they say.

RyX likes this.
  10. RyX

RyX DoH!

I seem to recall that site is the *Standard* reference used by many to classify Schick, but the original poster wasn't maintaining it. Someone else keeps it up and available for folks to view.
    Good luck in your research! Keep us informed if you find better information.

Tapatalk Via Kyocera

11. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

One of my favorite injectors and several versions of it exist.

Some of the heads on mine say "Schick Golden 500", some say "Eversharp Schick", and others "Eversharp HydroMagic". Plus you find different names for them on the inside of the box covers.

They came in different colors and boxes but most are essentially the same razor. A couple of mine have shorter release levers and there appears to be slight differences in the heads but they all seem to shave the same to me.

And of course you have the speckled version for the ladies.

Be cautious with old blades. If they're stainless I wouldn't worry too much. I've tried some and they worked great, others not so much. I still haven't tried one of the gold blades but I probably will one of these days.

IMG_7081.JPG IMG_7082.JPG IMG_7083.JPG IMG_7084.JPG IMG_7085.JPG

Jim99, MPF9, Weasel640 and 4 others like this.
  12. Weasel640

That is some collection there! I've gotta find a good example of that blue one. That is the closest to my wife's favorite color.

Also I just now realize why they were called the '500'. It looks like one of your's still has the original price tag for $5.00.

John Beeman and RyX like this.
  13. Weasel640

Went with some old school software with the '500' this week. It's a pretty good shave it gets my face nice and smooth with very little irritation, that lasts really well also. Plus gotta love these classic scents. There is just something about this classic 1976 Aqua Velva that the modern stuff just does not have any more.

IMG_20180128_180340_028.jpg

Jim99 and RyX like this.
  14. RyX

RyX DoH!

SOTD 02122018.gif

Weasel640 and Jim99 like this.
  15. RyX

RyX DoH!

SOTD 09172018.gif SE shave during SEptember. Thanks to Steve @Vlasta for the T-400 brush and tub of The Gilded Hand Dutch soap.

16. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

500 club?
    Now your talking....

Can my love of the Merkur Progress get me in? 20180129_195034_resized.jpg
    I've said many times, If I had gotten my progress first, I may not have a razor collection, it's so good I may have not needed to look further.
    The progress is model 500 , right?

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
    RyX likes this.
  17. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    You may recall that I cut the handle short on my 500. I made the razor the same length as a G type. I found it to be unacceptable. I got a 45 ACP cartridge from @Redfisher and put it on the end of the 500. That made it just the right length. I find the original length too long for my liking. I just finished a week with a Schick O Clone. It is even a bit longer. Although it shaves fine, again, I find it too long for my liking.

sod180904.JPG

Screwtape and RyX like this.
  18. RyX

RyX DoH!

Humm. The 400 Club lets in folks with Replicas, or R-400 shaped handles.
    @Weasel640 wasn't specific about Schicks, or even injectors. His club, his call?

19. brit

brit in a box

i guess this doesn t include the hd 500 ?

20. Weasel640

Because it was marketed in France as the "500", I'm inclined to say yes to the Rocket HD 500 (aka the Gillette "500") to being in the club.

As of now I can't find any piece of marketing where Merkur advertised or focused on the Progress being the "500" so in this case it just simply a random model number and not enough to get in the club. Also to note that the long handled Progress was model 510 so even less of a claim...

RyX and brit like this.