The Adulterated Barbasol Thread

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by Bama Samurai, Oct 27, 2017.

1. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

If you dont actually like Barbasol, need to molest it, or just can't help yourself, do it here.

Post em up!

Ijustmissedthe50s, RyX and sdguero like this.
  2. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

I LOVE Barbasol! And I love the phrase: DON'T MOLEST THE BARBASOL!!! But thats because its a very cool phrase...but in practice....

It's like this....I hated canned goo, but now find myself digging Barbasol....What can I say....I just can't deny good results! Now I love it! I also LOVE Arko...always have...

But I still like making uber lathers....I have combined leftover pieces from Arko Sticks and Williams Cakes into a mug until there was enough to make a cake of Molested Goodness!

And I like putting a few dabs of C.O. Bigelow cream, here and there on my face and squirtingBarbasol Artic Chill into the brush and hitting my face lathering....Mountain Of lather and the ProrasoGreen formula adds that coconut oil to the mix which I really dig how it leaves my skin...

So its no offense to either Arko...or Barbasol...I love them both "Straight Up" just like I like my Scotch....But I dig a cocktail every now and then aswell.....}8^))

3. sdguero

sdguero Well-Known Member

:thanks: :bounce015:

Somehow, I feel free! :happy093:

4. Bama Samurai

Keep the faith.

Carry on.

RyX, Jayaruh and sdguero like this.
  5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Nothing against Barbasol, per se, just that it comes out of a can.
    Haven't used a canned shave cream or gel since Feb of '08. Hope I never have to.

6. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I can't remember ever using Barbasol. Based on the good reviews I've read here, I may pry $1.36 out of my wallet and give it a try. With decent technique, I just bet it works pretty good. It's been around 100 years, so it must have something going for it. ;)

RyX, sdguero, Jayaruh and 1 other person like this.
  7. Bama Samurai

I hope you have fun with it! Fun $2 experiment.

8. Bama Samurai

My goal with almost all the drug store threads is to show new guys that there are many paths to a great shave. Many, like you, are simply at a point where you like your brushes and pucks. I do too! Not trying to convince anyone to change, just trying to be an objective voice on much maligned product line. The good news Steve, is that if you ever have to, it would work out just fine because you have vast experience and well-practiced technique wielding the blade.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
    Ijustmissedthe50s, ilts, RyX and 3 others like this.
  9. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

When I first started shaving, it was Barbasol that I started on and used it for a few years. I would use my Dad's, as he always had it, and I think, but don't quote me on this, I think it sold for between 25 and 35 cents a can.

10. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Barbasol spelled backwards is Los Abrab. Ponder this carefully.

11. champagneinhand

champagneinhand Well-Known Member

When you have put off shaving for a few days, and need to shave, rubbing some good puck on the wet whiskers then adding some barbasol or Gillette foamy on the tip of a wet brush the lathering up the face and using an OC with great blade. It’s not ideal but it beats a multi blade shave any day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I like Barbasol a lot, but I'd say my Rise Super Foam is Barbasol on steroids.

Ijustmissedthe50s, RyX and sdguero like this.
  13. Paul Turner

Look at it this way Charlie-when Barbasol was introduced into the shaving world, Wilson was President. But for something older than that(in a can), there's good ol' Clubman.You have to go back 24 Presidents to Jimmy Madison to get to Clubman's ribbon-cutting ceremony!

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
  14. Jrdelgado

Jrdelgado Well-Known Member

I love barbasol! Use it with an adjustable or a single ring. It's awesome. Sometimes i pretend it costs more than $1.50 and use a brush with it to pretend! Heck. It's good stuff

15. Paul Turner

And what was that?(In Feb, 2008)?

sdguero likes this.
  16. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

On the off-chance that you don't like it, shaving cream makes a great window cleaner that helps prevent fogging. Great for car windshields, bathroom mirrors and the like!

17. RyX

RyX DoH!

Preach it, brother! If a soap doesn't quite have the qualities I desire I might not purchase it again. But while it's still in my den a dab of Cremo or C.O.Bigelow can get me where I want to be. I haven't tried Molesting the Barbasol by adding other soaps. Time to experiment.

I only have one can of Arctic Chill right now. By putting a shot of foam in my bowl and working it with a slightly damp brush I can punch some of the fluffiness out and bring it to more like a puck based lather. :happy088:

Ijustmissedthe50s and sdguero like this.
  18. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Wish they'd bring back lime.

Ijustmissedthe50s, sdguero and RyX like this.
  19. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

I have no problem with Barbasol. I keep some and bring it out on occasion, especially for head shaves.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Ijustmissedthe50s and sdguero like this.
  20. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Got a puck of VDH Delux and VDH brush and lathered up they way one is meant to lather up. Never looked back. Just wish it hadn't been so long to try it - I was 45.