The Adulterated Barbasol Thread

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by Bama Samurai, Oct 27, 2017.

1. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I used Barbasol with carts when I first started shaving, a long long time ago. It worked fine, but I mainly used it because it was the most inexpensive goo I could find. Since taking up "traditional" shaving I haven't touched the stuff. My big problem with all canned goo is how much is left in the can when you throw it away, so wasteful! Wouldn't mine a puck of Barbasol Artic Chill. :)

Ijustmissedthe50s, RyX and sdguero like this.
  2. RyX

RyX DoH!

Interesting idea. There are a couple SoapMakers around. Think an E-mail campaign would produce the desired effect?
    You have me wondering about the volume of emptying a full can and trying to deflate and dehydrate. Like mashing cotton candy back to sugar crystals? Where can I get my hands on a slightly used centrifuge!

3. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

In an earlier post, I said I like Barbasol a lot-which I do. But my favorites are the Original and the Mtn. Blast. Tried the Lanolin and the yellow one-no.

Ijustmissedthe50s and RyX like this.
  4. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

In prep for H'ween, I shaved off a fairly bushy goatee, stache and sideburns this morning. Used the OCMM for the first pass with Barbasol, '50s flare tip with Colgate lime on the 2nd. Ended up baby smooth, no issues a-tall. Now if The Barb will let you use the OCMM, what's not to like?

I enjoy soap and mug too but good canned foam will do what you want it to, only quicker and easier, if you let it. I'm slightly curious to try the Chinese foam at Dollar Tree. Maybe. Haven't decided.

After shaving I broke out the Brylcreem to see if the hair works well enough for 1966. It does. This is pretty much my costume, only with a dark royal blue sweater and black horn rims.

[​IMG]

5. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

I love Barbasol in a tube, in the can its not bad but I have to add a bit of water to it or else its too dry and not very slick. Even still, Barbasol is a classic and you cant beat it for the price.

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  6. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

+1 on Brylcream

7. Paul Turner

The thing I'm GRADUALLY(yes you saw that right)learning bout Brylcreem, Clubman Styling Gel, and others I use is just that.....a little dab'll do me.

Ijustmissedthe50s and sdguero like this.
  8. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

What advantage does Barbasol have over other canned foams? I see a lot of love for Barbasol on the forums but I don't quite understand what differentiates it from other canned creams.

9. Badgerstate

None really, other than the history of the brand. IMO, Gillette Foamy and Nivea shave foam are just as good but they dont have the retro cool aspect of Barbasol.

10. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Excellent question. I await further answers.

11. Bama Samurai

Isn't that enough? I wanted to troll shaving forums (it always works) with Barbasol. "Nivea Sensitive" and "Gillette Super Foamy" just don't pack the same trash talking power as Barbasol!

Honest answer: I find Gillette to be less slick and more drying. I am a redneck, and wouldn't ever buy Nivea, sounds French and fancy...

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
  12. Bama Samurai

See above

@swarden43
    @Demidog

sdguero likes this.
  13. Badgerstate

I dont think that any of those answers have any trash talking power on wet shaving forums. LOL
    If you arent using a limited edition soap and a $150 badger brush, you got nothing! ;)

Linuxguile, gorgo2, Keithmax and 2 others like this.
  14. Bama Samurai

Veg? It will make you feel better!

15. sdguero

sdguero Well-Known Member

When I discovered wet-shaving about 18 months ago I turned my back on all canned shave creams, gels and foams. Only in recent months did I consider that maybe Barbasol wasn't just another canned "goo." I located some Barbasol under the bathroom sink, which I neglected to toss away, after my transformation to wet-shaving and tried whipping it up with a brush in a bowl. I discovered that was COOL! I also discovered a reconsidered, and renewed respect for Barbasol. I still prefer my new soaps and creams, but I decided to add Barbasol back in my rotation.

In recent weeks, I discovered another thing about Barbasol. When mixed with other soaps or creams, it adds amazing qualities, such as lather texture, hydration and slickness where those soaps and creams are lacking on their own.

So.... I like Barbasol!

gorgo2, Demidog and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  16. Ijustmissedthe50s

Ijustmissedthe50s The Warnee

Put the Cremo down and step awaaaaay from the Barbasol.

Demidog, sdguero and Bama Samurai like this.
  17. Bama Samurai

It's OK on this thread.

Ijustmissedthe50s and sdguero like this.
  18. Paul Turner

When I use Barbasol, I'm a "Johnny One-Note". No other cream is needed(to mix in).

19. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Then you don't belong in this thread. :taunt002:

Jus' messin' :D

Paul Turner likes this.
  20. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

:happy097: The shaving foam of samurai red necks, sounds like a good marketing angle to me.