The angle of attack

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by dangermouse, Mar 4, 2016.

1. dangermouse

dangermouse Well-Known Member

Starting by holding the razor vertically, under my side burn then adjusting the angle. Am I looking to line up the guard, blade and cap to get the cleanest cut (best shave) The picture shows my 'Old Type' but does this line (angle) change depending on the flatness of the cap and the length of the comb and how does this determine the aggressiveness of the shave?

image.jpeg

2. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Someone can correct me, but angle doesn't really determine aggressiveness, blade gap and exposure do.

dangermouse and battle.munky like this.
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Every razor will have it own optimum angle of attack. This can be affected by head size, how it bends/flexes the blade, how much exposure (blade gap) it has.
    Here to correct - as dangermouse increases that angle, he will be riding more on the cap of the razor, less aggressive. If he lessens the angle, he will be riding more of the comb (or safety bar, depending on the razor), thus less aggressive.
    You are correct that aggressiveness is partially determined by blade gap.

4. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I go more by feel and sound than by angular measure though.

5. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I agree.

6. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

Agreed. I really don't know how else you would do it.

Bama Samurai and battle.munky like this.
  7. swarden43

8. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Danger, that angle looks perfect to me. If I use a new/different razor I will put the head/cap against my face with the handle sticking straight out. Then I slowly drop the handle until I feel the blade make contact with my skin. THAT'S the angle I try to hold throughout the shave.

9. gmaugie007

gmaugie007 Well-Known Member

perhaps this is one of those "six of one, half dozen of another" ... in that, you can get to the same angle starting the handle vertically or horizontally

however, i'm with @Herm2502; i start horizontally.

here is the tsd thread that includes the two vids that got me on the straight and narrow with regards to proper angle ...

10. dangermouse

Ah, some of you guys start with the razor horizontally rather than vertically, to your face. I'll give that go.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
    Jim99 likes this.
  11. Herm2502

START there, but then drop the handle until you feel the blade touch your face, then stop. That will result in a fairly shallow, efficient angle. If you drop the handle too far you end up with a steep angle. The blade will "sounds" like it's working, but you'll be just dragging the edge of the blade across your face and not accomplishing much except irritation. When you've found that nice, shallow angle hold your wrist in that position throughout and shave with the big muscles of your arm, almost locking the wrist in that position.

12. dangermouse

Now that is a better way of coming at it. I thought a shallow angle was with the razor vertical, I can see it's a whole different thing starting on the horizontal. Thanks, I'll try tonight. What? - You mean it's not meant to sound like that :) Thanks again.

samarijack likes this.
  13. swarden43

Should sound like you're buttering toast.

Herm2502, Robyflexx and Bama Samurai like this.
  14. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

On the open comb razor you show, as you tilt the razor one way or the other from the line you've drawn, the blade will lift away the skin. That will change your shave for sure. But when I think of angle, I generally think about the angle between the radius of the cap and the line of the blade. On an adjustable you can change that angle considerably. On this razor that angle is fixed and, since the blade rests directly atop the comb, there's virtually no blade angle variation as you tilt the razor. That could be a good thing or bad, depending on what you were hoping for.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
  15. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Calipers?

Seriously though, the sound produced by breaking hair shafts as the razor "shears" them at skin level is distinct, and for me is the best indicator.

dangermouse likes this.
  16. Bama Samurai

Angle of attack "closes the window" if held shallow, effectively reducing aggressiveness. But you're right, per hardware it's gap, exposure, and radial curve of head.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
  17. swarden43

Protractor!

Bama Samurai likes this.
  18. Bama Samurai

This is too hard, so many terms and semantics.

I quit. Braun electric for me...

BigMike, Robyflexx and swarden43 like this.
  19. Herm2502

Hey @Dangermouse this is what I was talking about. Left is perpendicular to your face. Middle is just starting to tilt. Right is a pretty good angle.

[​IMG]
    (Just don't push as hard as the guy in the pic, that'll rip your face off.)

Bama Samurai and dangermouse like this.
  20. dangermouse

Since I posted my initial picture, I've been having some great shaves. Starting with the razor's handle in a horizontal position, then moving the handle downwards, until the blade touched my skin is an entirely different experience. I think that before, I was catching the stubble with the bottom edge of the blade. It sounded like scraping burnt toast, and I did have a reasonable shave, but I was getting quite sore. Suddenly my harsh old type is a really good shave. This post has been very productive. Thanks.

twhite, gmaugie007, BigMike and 2 others like this.