The Angle Razor

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by COMPNOR, Mar 1, 2018.

1. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

My opinion? Yes and no. The Parker SRX that @Bama Samurai uses, (and myself) is a stainless razor, with a lot of moving parts, and a somewhat “flimsy” clamping mechanism for the blades. Would that clamp/latch last through 100 years of daily shaves? I would bet no. But that doesn’t mean I’m knocking it.

Like nearly everything in today’s world, convenience, and return on investment are front and center. Most shavettes of this style cost $25 or less, some down under ten. Now if you can realistically expect to get ten years of shaves out of a $25 dollar razor, who really cares if it breaks? It’s a tool with a purpose and a lifespan.

If you ask me, the only thing the Angle razor has in terms of being new or innovative is the straight or kami style handle, and using a DE blade. I’m interested, actually. I tend to use Feather AC shavettes more, but I don’t know, this is worth a look. Not saying I’m buying one yet, but gonna look some more.

Keithmax, Edison Carter and Dansco like this.
  2. PickledNorthern

I had the exact same question. That is probably the biggest reason I would buy one. For science.

Keithmax, Edison Carter and RyX like this.
  3. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

Good reply! Thanks for putting so much effort into your response - I've never owned one so they look pretty sturdy from photos. Totally get what you're saying though - there's always a trade off between price and... (I hesitate to use the word quality) longevity.

For 25 dollars, ten years would be plenty use. I don't think I'll buy one but looking forward to seeing some of you lot try them out ;)

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
  4. PickledNorthern

Thank you. I think the SRX is the best option out there for a DE bladed shavette. They have a good feel to them. Some of the folding types are so light, I just never could get a feel for them. When you consider they only cost a few more dollars than the plastic scaled Parker’s, I think they are well worth it.

The price on this new Kickstarter razor doesn’t seem out of line, really. IBC shavettes, Feather SS, Focus, all sell razors in the same price range, and I am guilty of owning several. My biggest concern about this design is the threaded closure. I would worry about the longevity of lightweight aluminum threads that need to be used every shave or two (for me). Not saying it’s a deal breaker, I might have to get one yet. For science.

Keithmax, RyX, Dansco and 1 other person like this.
  5. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

FOR SCIENCE!!
    science-time_o_338236.jpg

Keithmax, RyX and PickledNorthern like this.
  6. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

For that price, I'd just pick up a Feather AC and have the best shavette you can buy. DE bladed shavettes are what they are and IMO always will be inferior to the Feather AC due to the blade.

Keithmax likes this.
  7. PickledNorthern

I would argue that the Feather SS is not the best shavette you can buy. Blade platform, yes, but not the best razor. For that price, in my opinion, Kai Captain (discontinued, but available) and Irving Barber make a more user friendly tool. I would argue that the Feather DX is the best shavette on the planet, but it is playing in another price ballpark. This is not the first aluminum DE shavette in that price range, the Focus has been around a while, and gets pretty good comments. I don’t see the price as especially out of line.

8. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

I'd put my Feather SS up against any shavette and be confident it could deliver superior shaves. I've got a Classic Samurai shavette, which is similar to the Parker but IMO, halved DE blades aren't ideal. Too thin, too flexible and they don't last anywhere near as long as the Feather AC blades do. I recently picked up an ATT SE1 to see how the AC blades do in a razor that is a little less intense. I love my Feather but sometimes I want a quick, easy, mindless shave, especially when I'm tired after a long day at work.

Keithmax and RyX like this.
  9. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Superior shaves is totally skill defined. Do you find it easier, perhaps than others?

Keithmax, PickledNorthern and RyX like this.
  10. RyX

RyX DoH!

That one is interesting for two reasons. It has classic SR styling, and it isn't limited to only one type of blade.

"With this razor you can use a double edge blade for lineups and touchups. Additionally, use thicker cartridge blades for a full shave without any extra inserts or adapters." IBC.com

PickledNorthern likes this.
  11. PickledNorthern

Have you used any other AC style shavettes? Deliver superior shaves to who?

12. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I will be difficult and disagree with both of you. I do not like the hump in the SS, I prefer the DX to the SS as well as tone Kai. I have tried numerous DE based shavettes and the Parker is my favorite. I can get a good shave from most tools but I really struggled with the Feather SS, other than that is all about the feel and esthetics for me.

13. PickledNorthern

Nope, you and I are exactly on the same page. I prefer my DX to any shavette, but would say that it is in such a different price category, so almost not fair to compare. I think the Kai is much closer to to the geometry of the DX, and can still be had for that $75 or so. I think you wouldn’t care for the IBC very much, because even though the head is fantastic, it has a stubby little tail that I know you don’t care for. And yes, the SRX is the only DE shavette I own anymore.

Keithmax likes this.
  14. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Even cheaper than the Kai is the CJB, which is the only wetshaving available at a good price in Korea. The geometry of the CJB is very close if not the same as the DX. If I wasn’t already over loaded with razors I would give the Kai a try, they only new additions this year will be non-shavette straights.

15. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Well-Known Member

Still not 100% sure, maybe 76.58%, but I think I'm going to get the black one.

RyX likes this.
  16. Rugger007

Rugger007 Active Member

If it were me, I’d put my money on a feather SS or DX shavette. I’ve owned and used a DX for a long time and IMO it’s the best of the best shavette’s available.