The best German, Muhle or Merkur?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Admiral Beez, May 14, 2013.

1. Admiral Beez

Admiral Beez Active Member

2. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Edwin Jagger razors are excellent in my experience and by all accounts I have read. Are these razors still made in Sheffield, Germany? ;)

Timelord and Erik Redd like this.
  3. Admiral Beez

Admiral Beez Active Member

Unless Sea Lion was successful and no one told my veteran Grandfathers, Sheffield remains squarely in England, UK.

feeltheburn likes this.
  4. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

You'd have to define "best" I think. They all shave great so if shave quality is your idea of "best", they're both fine. The fit and finish of my Muhle is perfect. My Merkur 39c has a bit of casting flash left under the head. My Futur seems pretty perfect. So Merkur may not be quite as worried about a minor imperfection here and there.

5. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

Merkur Fit & Finish aren't flawless. Shave performance is exceptional.
    Muhle Finish is perfect 99.9999% of the time, performance is exceptional as well.

You're fine just picking which ever one looks best to you, and you think would work for your needs.

6. frankflood

frankflood Active Member

I have both but use the Merkur Progress most all of the time.

7. GlennConti

GlennConti Well-Known Member

I have a Merkur Futur. Mine is tip top but have heard that there are production problems with some due to improper assembly (which is field fixable). The blade exposure on one side is greater than the other side. Like I said mine does not have any problems and works quite well.