The Christy Sliding Blade Knife

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by PLANofMAN, Feb 8, 2017.

1. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Originally posted by @Darkbulb on the ATG forum. Reposting here as I thought members might find it interesting. -RF
    The Christy Sliding Blade Knife

[​IMG]
    Photo credit: Alloutdoor.com
    Not sure how American these things are but it seems like most people that I show a picture of this knife to over here have had one - or their dad did...or their grandfather. That's no surprise since the design of the Christy sliding blade knives have stayed the same since 1936. Actually - most everything have stayed the same since they opened shop in 1889 - the same family owns and operates it and they hand machine, finish and package the knives using the tools and machines that have been around for 70+ years.

The company have gone through some ups and downs but recently there was a surge of interest in their knives triggered by their 80th anniversary knife. Same design but it uses a rose colored metal that was actually made some 40 years ago and recently discovered in the shop :) (edit: the website says that the handle is carbon steel and rose gold plated. -RF)
    They are making 120 of these anniversary knives in total (about $35/each) but also have 2-3 other models available. First batch was of 60 knives that sold out quickly and the 2nd and last batch is of 80 more knives.

This morning, Feb 7th - just a few hours ago - they finally released the new batches onto their site and I went ahead and ordered an anniversary one.

For those curious here's a review and another one here

I love the "they can be sure Mr. Christy will have machined it, polished it, assembled it, and packaged it himself, just the way his dad, grandfather, and great-grandfather did"

[​IMG]

Photo credit: Toledo Blade

Edit: I also found a picture of the original bread knife that launched the company:
    [​IMG]
    And I have to admit, I also purchased three of the anniversary edition knives as groomsman gifts. :)
    Disclaimer, I did not receive any discount or compensation for republishing this article. -RF

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
    AGHisBBS likes this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Cool. I've never had one, nor even seen one.
    "I love the 'they can be sure Mr. Christy will have machined it, polished it, assembled it, and packaged it himself,...'"
    He has the band aid to prove it!

AGHisBBS and PLANofMAN like this.
  3. cegadede

cegadede Member

Too bad they charge $999.00 (I'm not joking) to ship it to Brazil! I'd love to buy one!

Enviado de meu XT1225 usando Tapatalk

4. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    He doesn't do international shipping. The outrageous price for that is because he's not really technologically savvy. Best way to get one if you live outside the U.S. is to have someone else buy one for you and ship it themselves. They are fairly common on eBay as well, but at about the same prices as a new one.

5. cegadede

cegadede Member

Yeah, I guess it's time to make friends in the US!

Enviado de meu XT1225 usando Tapatalk

6. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    The blades on these are replaceable, and from what I understand, are about as thin as a single edge blade and about as sharp. More than likely, they are based off of the original razor blades used in the Christy razor.

7. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    very-interesting-2 .jpg

PLANofMAN likes this.
  8. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

PLANofMAN likes this.
  9. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Mine shipped yesterday, according to Hal Christy. @Darkbulb probably had his ship at the same time, or the day before, since he ordered a day before me.

Mr. Christy has zero interest in bringing back the razors and blades, or allowing anyone else to do so, under the Christy trademark. Too bad.

10. Mbg75

Mbg75 Well-Known Member

I have a couple of the Razors. Blades are the problem. I think I have 2 nos blades.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PLANofMAN likes this.
  11. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

It arrived today. Gorgeous little knife.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

PLANofMAN likes this.
  12. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    The three I ordered should be here tomorrow then, if not today.

Edit: Today! :) They are razor sharp, with a very unusual grind on the blade. More like a scalpel than a typical knife. I will definitely be getting one for myself in the near future, maybe for my birthday or something.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
    Darkbulb likes this.
  13. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    [​IMG]
    ...And with no filters or editing aside from cropping:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
    RetLEO-07 likes this.