The elusive Float-O-Flex

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Darkbulb, Sep 10, 2015.

1. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

The elusive Float-O-Flex DE razor
    About a week ago I managed to convince myself that my life would not be complete w/out an odd spring-loaded DE razor. Four seconds of internal debate and sixteen dollars later I was the proud to-be-owner of...it.

[​IMG]

It has your rather traditional three-piece design...with one big different...the spring in the handle.
    [​IMG]

Here's a short video of me showing off the razor and the spring-loaded-handle-design;

Tapatalk video link

I'll be honest in that I can't really see how this design can help/change a shave in any way shape or form..who know maybe there will be some huge revelation as I pick it up and shave with it next week.
    We'll see.

I did a little bit of research and found out some information about this oddity of a razor;

The razor has two numbers on it;
    a) A patent number on the handle "PAT. 2,059,172", and
    b) A number on the head "F623135" that I for now choose to see as a serial number. Even though I find it hard to believe that there were 623,000 razors of this model ever made. Maybe it started at 620,000....

The inventor was Charles Sabiers and looking into his history one can see that he was filing razor-related patents as early as the 1930's. Not sure what company he has affiliated with though.

Now, I didn't find the original patent application BUT I found the patent 2720695 that has a reference to 2,059,172 in it and what SEEMS to be a drawing of a very similar razor...and the 'spring loaded' internal mechanism. If it's the same razor/brand it seems to date back to the 1950's and I'll admit one that I've never seen or heard of before.

Patent drawing;
    [​IMG]

Waits' compendium have this to say about the razor - and identifies it as a "Double Edge Float-O-Flex"
    [​IMG]

For $16 it was worth it to get to check out something that, at least to me, is a rather obscure razor invention.
    If anyone have any more light to shed on this razor I'd love to learn more.

Chuck F, youngunn, mrchick and 5 others like this.
  2. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Thanks DB very interesting. Will be fascinating to find out what the thing shaves like. You're most likely right in that the spring really makes no appreciable difference..probably similar to a pivoting head scenario..of course unless one really tries out the shaver..:signs002:

Darkbulb likes this.
  3. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

One would think the purpose of the spring is to keep even pressure during the shave, however the pressure you would have to exert to engage the spring would likely slice your cheek off. This should be interesting.

Jim99, Billyfergie and Darkbulb like this.
  4. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    If nothing else, you should be able to tap the razor on the counter and feel the handle vibrate. ;)

Billyfergie and Darkbulb like this.
  5. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

Spring oddities aside, for $16 that's a nice looking razor.

InspiringK and Darkbulb like this.
  6. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

Could be a oo7 job for James that takes a small .22 slug for close up niceties....:chores016:

Billy

Darkbulb likes this.
  7. wmbjr

wmbjr Duck, duck, cooked goose!

This appears to be the patent drawing and application for 2,059,172. Looks like it was filed in 1933. A very interesting razor. Maybe something of a precursor to all the flex head cartridge razors that are such a big deal now. He was just ahead of his time by a few years.

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/2059172.pdf

What I can find, it appears he had a company called Flexo Razor Co. Inc. out of Amherst Ohio.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
    Billyfergie and Darkbulb like this.
  8. root_console

root_console Member

Wow first time I have seen this. Interesting.

InspiringK and Darkbulb like this.
  9. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    zweird.png

Darkbulb likes this.
  10. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Neat. Nice. Why? Congratulations.... :)

Darkbulb and Billyfergie like this.
  11. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Thanks? :)

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  12. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Heck yes! That razor is very cool! With or without the spring.

Darkbulb likes this.
  13. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Will be fun to see how it performs ;)

Billyfergie and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  14. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

What has happened? Normally it is only two seconds of internal debate! :D

We will await your testing report!

gorgo2, Darkbulb and Billyfergie like this.
  15. 90quattrcoupe

90quattrcoupe Well-Known Member

Interesting. I love seeing razors that are out of the ordinary.

Greg W.

Darkbulb likes this.
  16. barbersurgeon

barbersurgeon Well-Known Member

My personal theory is the spring is there to prevent damage from dropping the razor. If you drop it at just the right angle, it will magically bounce back right up to your hand again, and you can keep shaving... ingenious!

gorgo2 likes this.
  17. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Obviously a theory that I will have to try out.

18. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

[​IMG]

richgem, Darkbulb and Billyfergie like this.
  19. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Finally used it today w/ it being OCtober and all.

It's a surprisingly aggressive razor. I did feel as if I had to take a bit care not to cut myself but in the end I made it through unscathed.
    I did two passes with it - WTG and ATG - and the end-result was a very smooth and clean shave. I'm feeling my face now, almost five hours later, and it's still a very smooth result.

The special feature of this razor is of course the flexing head but I will have to be honest and say that I did not perceive that this helped/changed the shave in any way at all.
    Maybe a bit of a gimmick but still a razor that performs well.

[​IMG]

PLANofMAN and Billyfergie like this.
  20. InspiringK

InspiringK Well-Known Member

As others have said, spring or not it's a nice looking razor and it sounds like it gives a pretty good shave too. Thanks for adding all the info. :eatdrink047:

Darkbulb likes this.