The Fatip Gentile Closed Comb, a brief review.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Omaney, Feb 9, 2016.

1. opsimath

opsimath Well-Known Member

For me Fatip has a strange fascination -- the razors are simple (VERY close to early Gillette designs) but the manufacturing QC leaves a lot to be desired!

I just had a SUPERB shave from my Fatip piccolo (open comb) -- three passes + touchup. This razor has a reputation for aggressiveness that is well deserved.
    Fatip also has a reputation for EXTRA close shaves -- I can confirm the report that Fatip razors need careful visual confirmation of blade alignment -- STILL a phenomenal shave that outshines any but the MOST aggressive razors available!

I think that Fatip razors deliver an extraordinary shave, but most modern shavers haven't a clue regarding how to "true up" a blade in this double edge razor. iKon razors (superb products) offer a line of razors that preclude manual blade alignment -- they are engineered to need no such adjustment. I agree with the idea that a well designed razor should make aligning the blade a factor of the razor's engineering.

However . . . the main reason that Fatip and many others STILL allow the "shoulders" of the blade to protrude from the shaving head are a legacy holdover from the "wild west" days of safety razors -- back then it was necessary and EXPECTED that the user of the razor would have enough common sense to visually confirm that the blade was properly aligned. With a Fatip razor, it is possible to install a blade - re-assemble the razor, and tighten the handle with the blade skewed WAY out of alignment!

The obvious answer is to be CAREFUL and visually confirm that the blade is installed properly: true and even. If this seems too difficult or too daunting, then maybe there is a multi-blade razor in your future.

BeShaved, AGHisBBS and Robyflexx like this.
  2. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I agree with this post completely, other than your cart tease; man, you are harsh. ;)

I have had a couple of modern razors where a guy could fiddle for five minutes, and still barely be able to get a blade lined up, if at all. For the two Fatips I have, this is not the case. You have to barely snug up, eyeball, adjust and tighten. Done.

For me, and I am not speaking for anybody else, this is absolutely not a deal breaker. For the awesome shaves, the material it is built from, and the budget price, I am a full fledged fan. TBH, if tightening up tolerances meant any sort of substantial price increase, I would be less enthusiastic.

3. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Too many other well-made alternatives in the DE realm (both new and vintage) to tolerate FaTip's less than desirable history of product quality control. Asking the buyer/end user to use 'extra caution' in something as basic as DE blade alignment is putting the blame for possible poor results in the wrong place.

4. PickledNorthern

You are correct in this, but I also have had two ATT razors that took more effort to get the blade aligned than either Fatip, and they were machined stainless at five times the price.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  5. opsimath

opsimath Well-Known Member

You are correct -- I think that Fatip is relying on their reputation as a long standing supplier of shaving hardware to sell their product -- all the same, I think that anyone who doesn't confirm the blade alignment of their safety razor is asking for trouble.

All brass construction be damned -- if the razor ain't made right, it is a true shame. I love my Fatip, but I think they are trading on a design that has no future. I would be happy to pay a bit more, and receive a razor that had really good quality control.

BeShaved, AGHisBBS and Omaney like this.
  6. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Easy fix.
    Use straight razors. No blade alignment concerns! :D:D

7. PickledNorthern

I can't argue with that. Just a time commitment I am not able/willing to make right now. Someday, guaranteed. For now, the time spent fiddling with an occasional DE blade is way less of a commitment. Good shaves. :)

8. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I kid, of course.
    Enjoy your DE shaves! :happy088:

9. PickledNorthern

I know you do. You too!

Bama Samurai, AGHisBBS and Robyflexx like this.
  10. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

OP are you able to align the blade after some playing around with it or the picture you have is the best you can adjust it? if that's the best even with playing with it then that's just bad...

BeShaved and barbersurgeon like this.
  11. HUF

HUF Active Member

While Fatips are good-looking razors, the build quality is terrible. The cap of my Piccolo was not even square. The only other razor which had similar build quality was a Mercur 1904. Bought two of them and the both came with a cap which was not square. The tolerances are very lose as well. The blade will not be aligned and secured properly as it it is done with say Edwin Jagger, if you do not pay attention.

PickledNorthern likes this.
  12. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

That photo demonstrated the worst of the possible misalignment potential of that particular unit. Of course I used the razor after proper alignment of the blade. The point I had hoped to make was that the manufacturing quality of the product was mediocre at best.

PickledNorthern likes this.
  13. PickledNorthern

I agree with this 100%. If you are someone who just wants to shave and be done with it, it may be the worst possible "aggressive" razor on the market. If you do it for a hobby, you just need to be aware of it, and to me, it is one of my all time favorites when considering price and performance.

I will however, never argue with anyone who runs them down for QC. If they would get it together, it would be worth twice as much, easily. The way it is now, it is a brass razor which is topped out at its price point.

I will not buy a Gentile, because I have enough great mild shaving options, I don't need one with a question mark attached when I place the order.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

14. realtore!!!

realtore!!! Active Member

It's strange as I have a gold testina gentile that has no such blade alignment issues. Never did try the piccolo tho. My old grande had "slight" alignment issues, and both of my merkur 45's have issues. All very simple fixes though. I always check blade alignment before I put a razor to my face.

15. realtore!!!

realtore!!! Active Member

Is the only difference between the piccolo and grande the handle? Are the heads the same?

16. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Yes.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

AGHisBBS likes this.
  17. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

same heads, piccolo has thinner handle but full which makes the razor as a whole 5 grams heavier than the Grande, while Grande has thicker handle but hollow. My personal opinion there is no problem acquiring blade alignment, sure you have to play with it a bit, but just a bit.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

AGHisBBS and Robyflexx like this.
  18. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

While I can't disagree with this... I must say it's 2016, nobody should willingly accept this kind of subpar manufacturing. Yeah, I can make do...and align the blade, I just shouldn't have to.

19. gregkw1

gregkw1 Well-Known Member

Another reason why I only use vintage razors now every modern razor that I have bought I am either selling or have sold

20. PickledNorthern

I agree with you, but you could also pay fifteen more dollars for it.

AGHisBBS and Robyflexx like this.