The Fatip Gentile Closed Comb, a brief review.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Omaney, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Leo Davis

Leo Davis New Member

I must have really good luck. I have a Fatip Grande, Piccolo and Testina Gentile, and I never have to mess around with the blade to get it perfectly aligned. They are my favorite shavers.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  2. dangermouse

dangermouse Well-Known Member

I was wondering about one of these; I might hold off. Thanks for posting. I would definitely be sending that razor back to the shop.

3. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

I also have both the Gentile and Fatip and I have no problem aligning the blade although sometimes it aligns from first shot and sometimes it takes tinkering with it a bit.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  4. FranklinFurter

FranklinFurter Well-Known Member

Tony, thanks for the informative review. I was set to order a Fatip razor but decided to see if I could find reviews. And I found yours. It is a show stopper, at least for now. I have a Gillette TECH more than fifty-years old that has braze-on posts and correct blade alignment. Since this was technically possible in mass production more than half a century ago, the problem with the Fatip razors is inexcusable.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
    Robyflexx likes this.
  5. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Amen brother!

6. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

The thing with Fatips ... it's a bit of a gamble indeed, but when you get a good one, you have a great razor.

Bama Samurai and Robyflexx like this.
  7. HUF

HUF Active Member

I recall the top plate was not even square. So was one on Merkur 1904. No more Merkurs or FaTips for me. Nevertheless, I have to admit FaTip is a beautiful razor just like many other open com ones.

8. FranklinFurter

I was set to order the Fatip Gold closed comb "Gentile" razor right up until the moment I read the comments here about blade alignment problems. Despite reservations, the next day I rolled the dice anyway and ordered it, hoping for the best. It arrived this afternoon, and sure enough there is a blade alignment problem, precisely as it is described on this thread.

With the razor came a small sheet of instructions. I noted the following: "3. Tighten the handle with the razor's edge placed correctly..."

Fatip isn't kidding. And it seems they are well aware of the alignment problem...if they even see it as a problem. It is as it is, and perhaps by design. It is possible to align the blade (more or less) by properly aligning it and then pinching the edges of the blade tightly up against the top plate while tightening the handle. That's all I know. It seems to me it'll be a royal pain to have to this.

I'll know more after I try shaving with it.

9. HUF

HUF Active Member

The blade alignment issue comes from poorly manufactured parts, more specifically, from both geometrically not perfect parts and very loose tolerances. It is a shame to tolerate such manufacturing in 21-st century. Most of the razors (both new and vintage) provide with acceptable blade alignment. Among perfect ones are, say DE89 and Gillette SuperSpeed with black handle. Gillette Techs (I had several) are a bit looser, but still provide decent alignment. Most of users would not even notice a tiny blade play before tightening.

Robyflexx likes this.
  10. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Still, despite consistently needing to align the blade each time, both of my Fatip razors give me an excellent shave. Italian engineering at it's finest ... sloppy quality control, but oh what a ride!

11. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

Not to down play this but I find just about any 2 or 3 piece razor can have alignment issues. I love my Merkur 34c but I still check to make sure the blade is aligned as I tighten down the head. It too can get way out of whack if I don't take the time to check.

Robyflexx likes this.
  12. FranklinFurter

Fatip Gold Closed Comb "Gentile"

Here are three photos of the Fatip "Gentile" razor that arrived today. It is a razor I wanted to like, and I surely do. I used it on a day's growth of stubble, and the shave was extremely smooth and close. With a Gillette Silver Blue blade, it delivered the easiest bbs shave I can recall. The finish appears perfect, but there is the alignment issue. It is not severe, however, and not very difficult to correct in a few seconds while tightening the head. It's a shame this is necessary, but this razor is so good it is well worth the trouble.
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

EDIT: There is SB blade in the razor, and it is visible in the middle photo. There is a shadow from the comb, but the alignment is good. I used the razor, as shown, for the shave described above.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
    Eeyore likes this.