The Final Cut...Merkur Progress v Futur

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by scott wein, Dec 18, 2011.

?

Which Razor?

1. Merkur Futur Chrome

6 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Merkur Progress

5 vote(s)
    41.7%
  3. Other

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  1. scott wein

scott wein Well-Known Member

I think I am going to go adjustable. Forget money...I can get the Progress with case for 50 bucks and the Futur for 78 I think.

My skin is in between sensitive and resilient
    I have a medium to rough beard
    I enjoy Gillette Yellow's and Blues with my Jagger
    My pre shave ritual is a steaming hot shower, and pre shave soaked in.

I want a razor more aggressive then the Jagger as a companion. Feel free to suggest a fix or other adjustable to. I want to wrap this up and am eager :)

Thanx TSD

2. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

If you're going the Progress route, I'd suggest you get a Mergress - the modified Progress. The plastic knob is replaced with a solid metal knob and the adjusting is fine tuned. A big problem with the Progress is that they aren't all alike. Mine set on 2 won't be the same as yours set on 2. Quality control issues there. Mer modifies them and fine tunes them to where if you have it set on 2, it really is on 2. There's a short handle version and a long handle version. Only problem is that he makes them in batches so they aren't always available and when they are, they don't last long so you've got to jump right on it. They are a bit pricey but worth it IMHO and you get free shipping.

Regular short handle Mergress: http://www.leesrazors.com/products/Mergress-Adjustable-Safety-Razor.html
    Long handle XL Mergress: http://www.leesrazors.com/products/Mergress-XL-Adjustable-Safety-Razor.html

As I'm posting this, they are both in stock and Lee's Razors is the only outlet he, Eric (aka Mer), sells them through.

3. scott wein

Gonna look right now Jody. Thanx Mang.​

4. scott wein

And what does a slant do? I'm lost.

5. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

A slant is a head that is slanted to cause an angle of greater exposure for the blade.

[​IMG]

scott wein and alpla444 like this.
  6. scott wein

that's where I get lost...seems to only expose part of the blade

7. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

All the blade is exposed, but it is twisted slightly to provide more exposure to one side (in this case it would be to your right).

scott wein likes this.
  8. scott wein

last question-what is it supposed to do?

9. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

scott wein likes this.
  10. IAmTheJody

Short answer: gives you a sickle-like cutting angle which is allegedly superior to a straight line cutting angle.

How'd you go from Progress to slant? :happy102:

11. scott wein

was curious what it was jody...all i want is a clean neck. the mergress looks like a beauty

12. scott wein

13. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Forgive him, Merkur makes you detour at least once while looking through the stuff hoping that you will use the motto, "Buy two there small!"

scott wein and IAmTheJody like this.
  14. IAmTheJody

No worries. It was just a sudden change of subject matter and I was trying to figure out what I missed. lol!

scott wein likes this.
  15. Jaymo

Jaymo Active Member

Sorry, Jody. I had recommended a slant to him in a previous thread. I love the way mine shaves.

Scott, what Jody told you about the slant pretty well sums it up. Since the blade is at a bit of an angle, it slices through stubble, instead of chopping through. There's less tugging /pulling than with other razors.
    I like all my razors, but the slant makes it so easy.
    Too bad the injector was never made as a slant.

If Merkur would offer the Progress as a slant, I'd be in heaven.

scott wein likes this.
  16. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

Like I said, I think the Sledgehammer is going to be my last Merkur purchase....

scott wein and alpla444 like this.
  17. scott wein

I wish I could shave with a Futur and a Sledgehammer for 2 weeks each but I guess I will have to buy one now and one next. Funny that slants where brought up as that is where I would go if I went fixed.

18. Sunflake

Sunflake Well-Known Member

If I remember Scott if you buy a Progress you can send it to Mer for the conversion for about $30-$40. He'll fine tune and replace the knob. Google the pics, he has put custom jewels, and a gold dice for the adjustment knob. Don't know if he still does this though. But way sweet lookin!!!!

scott wein likes this.
  19. scott wein

Just put up a new post...I think my selection will be a surprise. Ordered and on the way.

The Mer's came close...but I wanted a...after all the talk about them.

20. scott wein